• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strikes take 2

My school is shut to students... Now this has been announced a number of staff who wouldn't commit are now saying they 'may as well come in' and not loose a days pay. People are brilliant at giving their profession a bad name...

My school is shut to students... Now this has been announced a number of staff who wouldn't commit are now saying they 'may as well come in' and not loose a days pay. People are brilliant at giving their profession a bad name...

Why not hurl abuse at them from the picket line?

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/taxation/other_taxes/financial_sector/impact_assessment.zip

You'll find it more comprehensive then your evidence of, "look around you," earlier on in the thread. p50 confirms the decline in GDP as a result. p33 confirms the yield. Combine the two and you'll find that total tax revenues fall as a result. You may also like to consult the following:

Diamond, P. A. and J. A. Mirrlees (1971) ‘Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules’, American Economic Review[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial], 61, 3, 261-78.[/FONT][/FONT]

Keynes actually said, "in the long run, we are all dead." Nevermind though. You'll also note that this is about economics, not politics. The nature of a FTT would mean that GDP is likely to decline more than the 20 year average in the first couple of years, mainly because it would eliminate a number of low margin activities (which is the point of it I assume from those wanting to introduce it). The 20 year average is therefore a better measure of whether it is economically viable. You also didn't respond to my comments on tax incidence.

Why do you want to introduce a tax that will financially impact the users of financial services rather than the banks? Why is the left so obsessed with symbolic gestures, even where the outcome disadvantages the people they claim to help? Is it because ultimately their policies and ideas have been shown not to work and so instead they convince themselves that only good intentions matter?

You're quite right about the Keynes quote.Thanks for the link but I can't access it from either the FLB or The British Council.If it's any consolation I'm doing a lot of extra work for the Council this week(Cambridge Orals)and won't be on strike on Wednesday.:whistling:
Ps I'll come back to you on tax incidence when time allows.
ppsJust wondering if the citation of long term results of FTT that you mention didn't include the short and medium term effects because that didn't fit with your argument?:unsure:

You're quite right about the Keynes quote.Thanks for the link but I can't access it from either the FLB or The British Council.If it's any consolation I'm doing a lot of extra work for the Council this week(Cambridge Orals)and won't be on strike on Wednesday.:whistling:
Ps I'll come back to you on tax incidence when time allows.

The anticipation is going to kill me.

Oddly at my work very few of the physiotherapists are striking. The CSP came back with an 86% positive vote for strike, but only about 50% of the physiotherapists at Kent and Canterbury hospital are actually striking. However I am an outpatient physiotherapist and within their wisdom they have decided to close the outpatient department which is the only department that actually makes us any money directly because people can change their minds at the last minute and decide to strike.
So looks like I will be getting most of my paperwork and training done which I guess means I wont have to do it at other time.
No picket lines organised for my hospital, their is a march in town but most of the physiotherapists that are striking are heading up to London. I have requested them to bring me back a PS3 if the oppo arrives.

Oddly at my work very few of the physiotherapists are striking. The CSP came back with an 86% positive vote for strike, but only about 50% of the physiotherapists at Kent and Canterbury hospital are actually striking. However I am an outpatient physiotherapist and within their wisdom they have decided to close the outpatient department which is the only department that actually makes us any money directly because people can change their minds at the last minute and decide to strike.
So looks like I will be getting most of my paperwork and training done which I guess means I wont have to do it at other time.
No picket lines organised for my hospital, their is a march in town but most of the physiotherapists that are striking are heading up to London. I have requested them to bring me back a PS3 if the oppo arrives.

As a physiotherapist would you recommend a march - or is a brisk walk along with a few stretches before and after preferable?

The word you're looking for is LOSE. -10 marks for that. Please, please learn to spell before you go back into a classroom

Haha well spotted Yarmouth. The teacher I used to live with used to ask me how to spell things. No wonder we have so many illiterate schoolkids.

Back