• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stephen Humphrys

In all seriousness though, he is a menace for league one defences.. I'm not sure if he can make the step up to the Championship but we'll see.

I don’t get this idea that the ladder up the leagues is a direct stepping stones that equate level of ability to the level of the league.

In many respects playing in the championship for someone like Humphrys could well be easier. The players around you have more quality. They have the ability to link up play, retain possession and create more and better quality chances. The game is quick but tactically better with less hurly burly charging around smashing into people.

For players who have more technical ability playing in league 1 and 2 will be the toughest thing you ever do. These leagues expose every physical inability you may have (heading ability / ball winning ability) whilst rendering most technical attributes useless and wasted. Robustness and physical attributes are required and many many players will survive by smashing a few tackles regardless of whether they can trap or pass the ball!!

It’s the players of limited technical ability that struggle going into the championship. Those that have relied on sheer effort and robustness, as once in the championship teams tend to defend tactically and intelligently rather than bullishly and if you cannot control and pass a football your stuffed!

Ian Wright said the advice he received coming into the league and again moving onto Arsenal, was to just work on his finishing and getting goals would be easier, as the players around him would provide so much more quality than he’d been used too.

I don’t get this idea that the ladder up the leagues is a direct stepping stones that equate level of ability to the level of the league.

In many respects playing in the championship for someone like Humphrys could well be easier. The players around you have more quality. They have the ability to link up play, retain possession and create more and better quality chances. The game is quick but tactically better with less hurly burly charging around smashing into people.

For players who have more technical ability playing in league 1 and 2 will be the toughest thing you ever do. These leagues expose every physical inability you may have (heading ability / ball winning ability) whilst rendering most technical attributes useless and wasted. Robustness and physical attributes are required and many many players will survive by smashing a few tackles regardless of whether they can trap or pass the ball!!

It’s the players of limited technical ability that struggle going into the championship. Those that have relied on sheer effort and robustness, as once in the championship teams tend to defend tactically and intelligently rather than bullishly and if you cannot control and pass a football your stuffed!

Ian Wright said the advice he received coming into the league and again moving onto Arsenal, was to just work on his finishing and getting goals would be easier, as the players around him would provide so much more quality than he’d been used too.

I agree, the players around you will be better.. as will the defenders. For all the technical ability the lad might have, his work rate for me is what seriously let him down. The amount of times he would just walk back towards the half way line after an attack. The times he let a defender head clear without even attempting to put him under pressure.

I actually have no doubt he’d score goals.. Freddie Lapado did for Christ’s sake but I don’t see him hitting the heights of Ivan Toney or the like.

Play for the right side in the championship and heading it isn’t even a pre requisite!! Even the work rate side of things, in the champ defending is far more tactical and chasing around pressing and harassing defenders isn’t really part of the plan.

If he scores goals that’ll be enough....where I do agree is he’ll need to fully focussed and properly dedicated fitness wise to succeed.

Agree on Ivan Toney too. He is quite unique and surely hitting the Prem one way or another next season.

I agree, the players around you will be better.. as will the defenders. For all the technical ability the lad might have, his work rate for me is what seriously let him down. The amount of times he would just walk back towards the half way line after an attack. The times he let a defender head clear without even attempting to put him under pressure.

I actually have no doubt he’d score goals.. Freddie Lapado did for Christ’s sake but I don’t see him hitting the heights of Ivan Toney or the like.

When he played against medical adice he got his nose smashed for the second time in an SUFC shirt. Do you remember how Sol reacted. Do you remember after the game, Sol he didn't have a clue whether SH was in hospital or not. Sol was to busy txting women on his phone.

Luckily for SH he will never have to suffer such a wrong'un again.

Sounds like he’s off to Wigan. Shame thought he could do better than that **** lot.

Sounds like he’s off to Wigan. Shame thought he could do better than that **** lot.

They’ve signed Charlie Wyke too. Wigan are definitely building a squad that will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

It’ll be interesting to see how well Humphrys does tbh. He’s got an outstanding goal return for relegation fodder teams, so I’d expect more of the same (if not better), as part of a promotion chasing team.

When I heard the news, I instantly thought of the Rochdale fans who were very happy to gloat in our direction & revel in our demise. Shame. ****s.

Apparently there are a few clubs looking at him according to the ‘experts’ on Twitter.

You mean Wigan who finished 1 point and 1 place above relegated Rochdale. They’ve got a lot to do to get back to the Championship.
They were in administration for 9 months until they got bought in March (sounds like the reason it took so long for them to be bought is because a few groups before the eventual buyers said they'd buy the club but pulled out), it's a miracle they stayed up at all. Based on the signings so far though it seems like the new owners have a bit of money to spend so I'd be surprised if they're at the wrong end of the table next season, obviously Sunderland have shown you need more than money to go up but I'd expect Wigan to at least be up there.

Back