• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend Utd 1-3 Gateshead FC

...unless we're talking the save from Sam Wood that got us promotion.
While here, the pen today was a side-foot, yes, it was low in the corner, and yes it had pace, but definitely not a pile driver.
As I originally said: a minor gripe considering all else.
And we're comparing a keeper who built up a reputation as a penalty saver with a relative rookie.
I think Collin has saved one: Chertsey in the Trophy? Although there may have been others that don't immediately come to mind.

My gripe is it was never a pen in the first place. I could tell that from the back of the East greens.....The ball went wide at right angles and their players didn't appeal. Plus it was clear fouls on Gus in build up. Ref made some other shockers including not giving couple of corners.

My gripe is it was never a pen in the first place. I could tell that from the back of the East greens.....The ball went wide at right angles and their players didn't appeal. Plus it was clear fouls on Gus in build up. Ref made some other shockers including not giving couple of corners.
Agreed!
But we've been here before on the standard of referees in the NL. Fifth tier footballers; fifth tier officialdom.

Minor gripe #2!
Notice the Gateshead players nearest D1Versity's film. I've frozen at the millisecond the ball is kicked.
Oseni (No9) isn't even pretending to start in his half.
Some refs would have re-started, but note where our whistle blower is looking. As if it matters he can see a player passing back!
Surely, a lino or himself should glance to ensure everyone started behind the line? Does it matter? Yeah, it says something about an eye for detail.

Screen Shot 2024-09-28 at 21.27.30.png

D1Versity's film proves you quite right. Collin is there someway ahead to tip the ball away.

D1Versity's film proves you quite right. Collin is there someway ahead to tip the ball away.
I posted on the D1versity thread. It's really not clear cut to me. I've paused it, moved it frame by frame. On the pause, and zoomed in, it looks like the forward maybe just gets to the ball before Collin (picture of this in the aforementioned thread) But in motion the way the ball fires off to the side makes it look like Collin got there first - which was my opinion live and from the TV replays, without freeze frame and zooming in.

So I've gone from thinking wasn't a pen to no idea -its very close. Doesn't seem to be any appeals from any players from either side - which in some ways is good as refs have a hard enough time as it is.

I posted on the D1versity thread. It's really not clear cut to me. I've paused it, moved it frame by frame. On the pause, and zoomed in, it looks like the forward maybe just gets to the ball before Collin (picture of this in the aforementioned thread) But in motion the way the ball fires off to the side makes it look like Collin got there first - which was my opinion live and from the TV replays, without freeze frame and zooming in.

So I've gone from thinking wasn't a pen to no idea -its very close. Doesn't seem to be any appeals from any players from either side - which in some ways is good as refs have a hard enough time as it is.
Agreed. I’ve gone from thinking it was clear pen in real time, to thinking definitely not from the official highlights, then from D1versity’s video, I’m not too sure again! Even though the ref was poor today IMO, it does show the officials have a tough job making the decision in real time.

Back