• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v York City, Saturday 10th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 123 92.5%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 124 93.2%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Ollie Kensdale

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Joe Gubbins

Votes: 47 35.3%
  • Nathan Ralph

Votes: 114 85.7%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 119 89.5%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 120 90.2%
  • James Morton

Votes: 78 58.6%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 104 78.2%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 115 86.5%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 122 91.7%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • George Wind

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Beau Macdonald

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Mikey Faulkner

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 4 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Win

Votes: 71 53.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 22 16.5%
  • Lose

Votes: 16 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
Here it is, a day that at one stage looked like it might never happen, we will be kicking off the 2024/25 season in the National League - thanks to COSU who have rescued our club.

Our visitors for the season opener are York City, who finished last season just one point and one place above the relegation zone despite beating us home and away - although they were significantly helped in the game at their place by one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen (amidst stiff competition in this league!)

The Minstermen are now managed by Adam Hinshelwood, who joined them at the end of February this year from Worthing. They've been busy in the transfer market over the summer, including signing striker Ollie Pearce from his previous club (a player rumoured to be on our white board). Other signings are Right back Joe Felix (also from Worthing), highly rated young goalkeeper Harrison Male (Dorking), Centre Backs Darragh O'Connor (Morton) and Cameron John (Rochdale), Midfielders Ricky Aguiar (Swindon) and Alex Hunt (Grimsby) and finally our old player Ashley Nathaniel-Georgia (Maidenhead). It's likely to be a very different looking York side to the one we faced last season.

It sounds like their new players are taking time to gel as they have had mixed results in pre-season. They drew 3-3 at Spennymoor Town last Saturday, lost 2-0 at Garforth Town, drew 3-3 at Darlington but prior to these results had two 2-1 wins at home to Grimsby and away at Whitby Town plus a creditable 2-2 draw with Notts County.

In the euphoria of the takeover, let's not forget that the York fans carried out a bucket collection for our club in our hour of need and their Chairman Matt Uggla was also generous in putting his hand in his pocket. I hope therefore that they will get a warm welcome before the game.

We finished pre-season with a win at Chelmsford last Saturday which means our overall record this pre-season is: P6 W4 D1 L1 GF11 GA4 - against varying standards of opposition.

Looking at the squad, we still feel light in a few areas - particularly another keeper, an attacking midfielder and one more striker. Kev alluded to this too in his post-match interview last Saturday and said that they were working hard to bring some more players in. I've left some gaps in the poll to add more names if necessary.

SUEPA have Steve Phillips as their guest again on Saturday, I'm sure "inch" will get a good welcome again, although last time he came he milked it so much that he held up kick off!

Whatever happens on Saturday, it will not define our season. Those of you who remember the 2005-06 season which ended with the Shrimpers being crowned as League One Champions after Wayne Gray scored a late winner against Bristol City may fail to recall that the season kicked off in August at Roots Hall when Wayne Gray also scored our only goal, but in a 2-1 defeat to Port Vale.

Win, Lose or Draw let's keep some perspective, enjoy the ride, and be loud and proud again to be Shrimpers fans this season.

Place your starting XI and results predictions above, as usual.

Last edited:
With backs against the wall, we played heroic stuff.
I'm pretty sure embargoes and Ron played a part in galvanising a squad who refused to be cowed.
Now, apart from missing one or two in certain areas, we haven't any excuse.
Does this heap the pressure, or are the squad as resolute as ever? Kensdale alluded to a 'team' ready to do it, but so much more is expected.
This is going to be a different test.

First game of the season - I would say "bolloc^ks" to it .............. and attack.

Walker, Cardwell & Waldron up front, Bridge, Pedder (when he signs), Coker & Miley just behind - may as well be slightly negative & put out a goalie as well & then let the defenders play "paper, scissors, stones" for the remaining 3 places.

Job done.

I'm going for Nathan Ralph to start in the LWB role for this game, with Jack Bridge as a bench replacement dependent on the state of the game. I've also gone for Walker to partner Harry because Danny Waldron hasn't had enough pre season minutes yet to start. Had Adam Crowther been fit he would have started instead of Gubbins.

What it is to have choice, regardless of whether you agree with my selections or not.

1722959411451.png

……….….. Collin
….. Taylor Kensdale Ralph
Gus………. Miley ……… Bridge
………. Coker… Morton
……… Cardwell Walker
I have gone with the same as Noor can't be match ready.
And if the youngsters are on the bench we will have 7 subs (including Noor) but no GK sub.

It's possible that Ralph plays wingback and Gubbins makes his debut, if that is the case i see Bridge playing Fonguck's old position and Morton pushed to the bench.View attachment 33272
Agree with this. I think the team picks itself at the moment for the most part. Kev’s biggest/only real call is whether he starts Gubbins, shifts Ralph to LWB and plays Bridge in place of Morton.

In the euphoria of the takeover, let's not forget that the York fans carried out a bucket collection for our club in our hour of need and their Chairman Matt Uggla was also generous in putting his hand in his pocket. I hope therefore that they will get a warm welcome before the game.
100% this. Lots of us (perhaps worse for Exiles like me who felt doubly powerless) will hopefully always remember the good wishes and support offered by clubs like York. I'm sure most posters will just want to pick a team and royally stuff York but, if you don't mind me saying, I'd hope those of you able to attend will give respect where it's due. And then beat them!!

Might be a good time

to play against him - before he gets up and running..?
Like Norwood for Oldham in the first game last season - looked like an overweight pub player in the 4-0 but did go on to score a fair few over the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back