• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United Club Structure.

I'm positive but nothing is saved. I might believe now that one day it will be saved, which I didn't believe a couple weeks ago.

Lots needs to happen between this new structure and the club being 'saved'.

I'd consider us 'saved' when we're back in L1 in mid-table or looking to push into playoffs. That's where this club should realistically be.
I agree with you on that one

I'm nervous and a little excited by the changes.
Don't get me wrong, I know little about the inner workings of football. I've been watching SUFC for best part of 30 years, and maybe that's the problem for me.

I've seen the traditional management structure fail many times over 30 years, but also a handful of spectacular successes with Webb, Fry, Tilly and Sturrock (for build us up from nothing). Quite a few 'good enough'. Here are my questions:

1. Can we point to any successes under the head coach model at other clubs?
  2. More specifically, small clubs like us? Has Grimsby, Tranmere adopted these models?
  3. Can we change quick enough; we don't have time for it to 'bed in'. We need results now.
  4. There are more moving parts and all of those parts need to be on the same word, let alone sentence, page or chapter.
  5. How much involvement will the head coach have in recruitment of playing staff?
  6. Will he be able to say I want a particular player, or will it be I need a tall striker, or just a striker or just get what they are given?
  7. If it doesn't work and results are suffering, how and who will decide which cog isn't working and pull the trigger to fix it?
  8. Is this a kind of modern day approach to joint managers we used to see some years ago, or just another fancy way of having a director of football?
What does give some comfort is that Stan knows his beans, and therefore I have a lot of faith that this is the right thing to do.

I may be way off the mark in understanding the structure, and happy to be corrected and put at ease :-)

I'm nervous and a little excited by the changes.
Don't get me wrong, I know little about the inner workings of football. I've been watching SUFC for best part of 30 years, and maybe that's the problem for me.

I've seen the traditional management structure fail many times over 30 years, but also a handful of spectacular successes with Webb, Fry, Tilly and Sturrock (for build us up from nothing). Quite a few 'good enough'. Here are my questions:

1. Can we point to any successes under the head coach model at other clubs?
  2. More specifically, small clubs like us? Has Grimsby, Tranmere adopted these models?
  3. Can we change quick enough; we don't have time for it to 'bed in'. We need results now.
  4. There are more moving parts and all of those parts need to be on the same word, let alone sentence, page or chapter.
  5. How much involvement will the head coach have in recruitment of playing staff?
  6. Will he be able to say I want a particular player, or will it be I need a tall striker, or just a striker or just get what they are given?
  7. If it doesn't work and results are suffering, how and who will decide which cog isn't working and pull the trigger to fix it?
  8. Is this a kind of modern day approach to joint managers we used to see some years ago, or just another fancy way of having a director of football?
What does give some comfort is that Stan knows his beans, and therefore I have a lot of faith that this is the right thing to do.

I may be way off the mark in understanding the structure, and happy to be corrected and put at ease :-)

Nothing wrong with any of this. I for one am very excited over the apparent changes afoot, but checks and balances need to be adhered to. Any analysis of risk needs to look at the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to any proposition.

Am sure @StanleyVictorCollymore would agree.

Hot water was out areas ago mate. Spoke to John White's wife at the Norwoch pre-season game and she said he was showering at home after training.
I’d like to think this is the type of thing Tom Lawrence is sorting but also that it is something supporters can help with: is there not a fan who’d be willing to do this in exchange for some tickets and advertising?

I’d like to think this is the type of thing Tom Lawrence is sorting but also that it is something supporters can help with: is there not a fan who’d be willing to do this in exchange for some tickets and advertising?
I'd like to think the club is going to make full use of underground, green heat sources and the grants available for that in the new training facility and ground.
At present bodge and make do would seem the order of the day.

I assume this is a new issue and not the same existing one since pre-season though?

It highlights just how desperate we are for the new stadium and training ground.

Yes, that’s a new issue, but has been resolved. A lot more quickly this time around fortunately.

The most frustrating thing about what SVC is saying, is this is exactly how it should be run, and we should have been doing this for years. We’d have saved a fortune in this type of set up.

SVC isn’t reinventing the wheel, it’s all basic stuff that should be standard practice but isn’t. This is what he was pushing for in the Summer.

The name of our “head coach” is almost irrelevant. It’s the whole structure that is the most important thing. You’ll still get sackings, but we will have an identity. If the head coach doesn’t work out, for whatever reason is moved on, we won’t have to pay out to remove all the backroom staff and then players the new guy doesn’t like.

We’ll be recruiting the right type of players for the football we want to play. So, the new head coach will be hired based on our identity, not his, and the players will fit the roles required.

I’m led to believe, the main cogs in this machine will be in place for Daggers, without any hiccups along the way. Any hiccups, and some cogs will be delayed.

The most frustrating thing about what SVC is saying, is this is exactly how it should be run, and we should have been doing this for years. We’d have saved a fortune in this type of set up.

SVC isn’t reinventing the wheel, it’s all basic stuff that should be standard practice but isn’t. This is what he was pushing for in the Summer.

The name of our “head coach” is almost irrelevant. It’s the whole structure that is the most important thing. You’ll still get sackings, but we will have an identity. If the head coach doesn’t work out, for whatever reason is moved on, we won’t have to pay out to remove all the backroom staff and then players the new guy doesn’t like.

We’ll be recruiting the right type of players for the football we want to play. So, the new head coach will be hired based on our identity, not his, and the players will fit the roles required.

I’m led to believe, the main cogs in this machine will be in place for Daggers, without any hiccups along the way. Any hiccups, and some cogs will be delayed.
Agree with all of the above but one of the most important aspects of it is that the Head of Football Operations has a vast network of professionals that want to come and work within the structure. This can make an absolute massive difference and I think we are going to see how important this is over the coming month. Attracting the best of the best requires all of the above. Good communication and the ability to build networks of trust and integrity!

The running machines needed mending too along with the holes in the roof to stop the rain coming in. I believe Tom did try and get some funding for B&L from various sources, but the amount needed to make it presentable is beyond sensible for the portential time they may be there. As GBJ said, its not disimilar to Roots Hall in terms of condition.

I note the comment above saying if Ron had hired Kev Maher it would have been viewed as a lazy appointment and that is probably right. But it's not the who, it is the how.

And if you look at the process that has been followed and what you know about the process, if you have followed Stan's posts, then the name doesn't matter the process has found the name as opposed to the other way around.

So, if it is Kev that has come through this process and it is his name that gets the Head Coach's position, then have some faith that he IS the right man!

Stan, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for breathing life into the comatose hulk of a football club and caring enough to want to get involved and having the persistence to keep on at Ron to eventually get the momentum to enable us to start this journey all together.

I think everyone will have a new enthusiasm, if not already, for all things Blue and after a terrible week, let Southend United start pumping some new life and events to be proud of whenever the team and the city are now mentioned in the national press.

You have been a major part in giving us some pride back!

Thank you!

The running machines needed mending too along with the holes in the roof to stop the rain coming in. I believe Tom did try and get some funding for B&L from various sources, but the amount needed to make it presentable is beyond sensible for the portential time they may be there. As GBJ said, its not disimilar to Roots Hall in terms of condition.

There is only so much you can throw at Roots Hall , the condition its in is pretty poor and having there a few times i can tell you that there are many local clubs a few leagues beneath us with far superior facilities - this is not acceptable for a club our size and level .

Like i said previously , its the small things that get over looked that most of the time manifest into something a lot larger

The modern day footballer who has come through academies are used to a certain 'luxury' training and playing facilities and are probably far from impressed by our current decor !!

Lets hope this is the start of something good and positive and remember we must all look forward and not back.
Well done Stan.

These changes are not before time and I particularly like the fact that the players are being supported and listened to and made to feel they are part of a team. Confidence and belonging is so important. Also, having the right structure in place is paramount to success in any organisation where people know their roles and what is expected without fear

I for one am excited about these up an coming changes and we should all now get behind the team and show how much we do support.

I’m sure we will that first win lol coming Saturday

I'm not jumping all over the hype, I've seen it all before and to be honest, I think it will all go South.

People are expecting some sort of miracle, which isn't going to happen.

I'll be interested to see the Daggers pre match thread (pole) and see how many people think we'll win, I bet it will be quite high.

Reactions: TJC
I'm not jumping all over the hype, I've seen it all before and to be honest, I think it will all go South.

I'll be interested to see the Daggers pre match thread (pole) and see how many people think we'll win, I bet it will be quite high.
This is less about fixing things for Saturday but putting ourselves in a better chance to succeed next year and the year after.

This isn’t a quick fix scenario. There may be a small boost in performance being shot of Brown but this is about building something. We’re going to need to dig proper foundations and do things the right way. That takes time. Time not afforded to any of our managers since Brown dissembled the foundations in his first spell.

It’s one step at a time we need a decent manager first

Hadenough ?

Back