• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin says fans are putting people off

does this explain Ron?

Dunning-Kruger Effect​

Reviewed by Psychology Today Staff

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.

Why do people fail to recognize their own incompetence?

Many people would describe themselves as above average in intelligence, humor, and a variety of skills. They can’t accurately judge their own competence, because they lack metacognition, or the ability to step back and examine oneself objectively. In fact, those who are the least skilled are also the most likely to overestimate their abilities.

the finest example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect, that of an incapable leader who thinks he can overcome his incompetence by his arrogance and his lack of humanity towards his troops.

the full article is worth reading

Only because it highlights what a k nob he truly is. No other explanation.
His business accumin and the way he's run the club and therefore sparked the fans ire, has nothing to do with it.
Deluded.

The last 2 comments may be of interest to you

The current sales package for Southend United F.C. ( as of 17.00 hours, Friday 28th July, 2023 ), seems to consist of roughly the following.

Roots Hall £4.5 million
New training ground £2.25 million ( tbc )
Shares in club ( 70.6 per cent ) £1
Amount to clear current debts ( tbc ) £2.5 million

Amount required to cover first complete year of trading (tbc ) £1.2 million

This is coming in at around £10.45 million.

£10 million was quoted as the circa figure that would satisfy the immediate demands ( of the seller ) to enable the club to trade under new ownership.

I expect a variation on this theme in the coming weeks.

This information courtesy of the agents dealing with the sale.

( Roots Hall and the new training ground represent the lion's share of what is on the shopping list, strip that out of the equation and that lightens the load ).
Am I being massively naive, but to me, ~£10m to own a football club with a lot of potential seems a bargain tbh and not sure what the hold up is.

Yes, has ongoing costs (depends whats covered in that 1.2m "first year of trading") - and will need a budget for new players, but we all know what potential as a club we have and with the right people can turn this club on its head.

I dunno... just £10m doesnt seem unrealistic for the potential?

Am I being massively naive, but to me, ~£10m to own a football club with a lot of potential seems a bargain tbh and not sure what the hold up is.

Yes, has ongoing costs (depends whats covered in that 1.2m "first year of trading") - and will need a budget for new players, but we all know what potential as a club we have and with the right people can turn this club on its head.

£10m to own a loss making business doesn't seem a good deal to me.

But it's riddled with debt (Net Worth -£18.6m as at Jul 21), and I dread to think how much work is going to be required to repair RH going forward. I think it's going to need somebody who just loves the club and doesn't want to see it fail.

But it's riddled with debt (Net Worth -£18.6m as at Jul 21), and I dread to think how much work is going to be required to repair RH going forward. I think it's going to need somebody who just loves the club and doesn't want to see it fail.
I must admit when i went there yesterday in the cold light of day it reminded me of when i was at TOTS and saw the difference between a night club full on and the next day and how dirty it all was.

RH is on it's knee's because there has been zero investment in the actual ground for 25 years.. We have been left to rot as RM chased his pipe dream of FF. Now we are faced with a nearly derelict ground.

Last edited:
I must admit when i went there yesterday in the cold light of day it reminded me of when i was at TOTS and saw the difference between a night club full on and the next day and how dirty it all was.

RH is on it's knee's because there has been zero investment in the actual ground for 25 years.. We have been left to rot as RM chased his pipe dream of FF. Now we are faced with a nearly derelict ground.
At least you might have got a knee tremble outside TOTS on Friday night at 3 am, not sure RH offers that Cricko :Smile:

I must admit when i went there yesterday in the cold light of day it reminded me of when i was as TOTS and saw the difference between a night club full on and the next day and how dirty it all was.

That just about sums up where we are in a few lines I couldn’t believe how bad it was behind the scenes at the ground, and that man is happy to have his staff there working in those conditions trying to keep it clean & maintained without spending his money

Is the idea (challenge/excitement?) in turning it into a profit making business by being better than the way that clown has run us though?...
Take your attachment to Southend out of the equation. If you want to buy a football club would you be keen to spend £10m on a club with severe financial issues when you could just wait for a more financially secure club (possibly in a higher league) to become available?

Wrexham was bought for a quid debt free (albeit with a condition that £2m had to be immediately invested into the club), why would anyone look at what Ron is offering and think it was a good deal?

Back