• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

I know it’s all terribly frustrating just now. But next Saturday against Eastleigh in the cup Kev needs to use this game to play some of our bench warmers, Kev owes it to them.
The result is immaterial just now, so I would drop Colin, Bonne and maybe another. Start Hilson, Wind and maybe Wood. They deserve to start or what’s the point of having them here ?
Kev needs to show some loyalty to the squad not just the so called regulars that are not performing.
In reality most of the team yesterday need dropping, but we know that’s not practical.
I don't think for one minute he'll start Wood. We don't play with wingers and it is clear Kev doesn't feel he is up to it, otherwise, he would have come off the bench more. I'd be surprised if he wasn't moved on in January tbh. For me Pepple and Walker is the combo we need currently.

Well, yes, it wasn't great yesterday. Sometimes over the last six years I feel a bit guilty about still having a good time - seeing old teammates greet each other who haven't been in touch for decades is suv=ch a joy. And the welcome you all gave Benji - especially with 'that song' which was heard loud and clear coming out from the West - was just fantastic.
View attachment 34229
Was brilliant to see him back and thought the onpitch interview was really good. He was very open and honest about the disappointment of having to leave us.

My only concern is this .. as you know I’m no fan of this rhetoric that we are a non league club now … the concern being we are now heading into our 5th year of non league football we should have sorted ourselves now and started the slow process of turning the ship round. Anymore managerial changes etc etc etc will just start another 3-4 year transformation ( and that’s if we get it right ) and low and behold any idea of thought of being a football league club again are long gone … we’ve been trying to turn this ship round now for a good few years we’ve finally got a management team who are established , what the club needs are the owners to back the managers with real signings … proper players not untied kids or 30 something journeymen … we didn’t replace Cardewlll and we should have immediately a like for like should have been signed and it wasn’t .. that to me are owners not backing the manager

Christ almighty we’ve been hearing about this legendary white board for long enough now … I’m sure it didn’t have Pebble or Bonne on it! Oh for a lopata brunt and Neil to be down here again …
In fairness, as @BoyWonder2 said earlier this week, our top target to replace Cardwell is currently injured (Adarkwa?). I'm assuming Kev is prepared to sit and wait for his return to fitness rather than spend money on someone who he doesn't believe will offer the same value.

In fairness, as @BoyWonder2 said earlier this week, our top target to replace Cardwell is currently injured (Adarkwa?). I'm assuming Kev is prepared to sit and wait for his return to fitness rather than spend money on someone who he doesn't believe will offer the same value.
Whoever the targets are he will ruin them with no service.
Moncur in any other team would be a superstar in this League, however he now resembles Husin, unbelievable…….dont shout shoooot crowd said it all!

Went to the railway after the match.

It seems matchday beers are the highlight of watching Southend.

Anyway, I was surprised to see the chairman bowl into the pub at around 8.30.

Great, we will have a chat and get some reasoned debate.

No chance. He was absolutely wrecked and couldn't really speak to be honest.

It's not a good look to see the chairman in such a state on the matchday following 3 successive defeats.

Apparently his words were. "Kevs here to stay"
Saw him having a few sips in the Far Post before the game. So to be fair he did start early. Definitely see what you mean about it’s not a good look though. May feel differently if we were currently positioned in the top three.

Yes Stan is more likely referring to Wolves. Played seven matches gained only one point. O'Neil's job must be in danger. He has criticised the changing strategy of the owners and now criticised his players.
I'm not so sure.

On the Fylde post match thread on 18th September (post 292) Stan liked a post that questioned whether some of our recent acquisitions had been signed on reputation alone. Walker, Bonne and Moncur were the 3 players mentioned by the original poster.

After a nights sleep on reflection the highlight of the last two games was the visit of two of the clubs legends in Billy Best and Ian Benji ,what they must have thought about those performances i wonder.
What i am struggling to get to grip with how the players can put in performances against Eastleigh and Sollihull and fail to repeat in the following games with well below performances. Whilst can accept with have had injuries and we had to bed in new players which takes time what i cant accept is what the team is currently giving. Yes Maher and co are responsible for coaching and team selection once those players cross the white line onto the pitch they are responsible then. If you take yesterdays game as a example for the opening minutes we went at Maidenhead and played on the front foot then we went back into our shell with sideways football and once they scored we lost our way.
We dont appear to have a vocal leader on the pitch which we need to motivate the players yes we have a mix of experience and youth but no leader. These players need to step up to show why Kev has brought them to the club.
Onwards to the next game we need a performance to stop this malaise getting intrenched

Saw him having a few sips in the Far Post before the game. So to be fair he did start early. Definitely see what you mean about it’s not a good look though. May feel differently if we were currently positioned in the top three.
Would you prefer a chair like the former, that hid from the fans and lied behind their backs? Having a drink before and after puts him in the center of where the fans are at and he is approachable to speak or listen to them. He was as frustrated and disappointed as anyone yesterday and before people complain he's not around, he has to fly back to Aus in the next couple of weeks so was his last opportunity to speak to fans at home for a while.

I'm not so sure.

On the Fylde post match thread on 18th September (post 292) Stan liked a post that questioned whether some of our recent acquisitions had been signed on reputation alone. Walker, Bonne and Moncur were the 3 players mentioned by the original poster.
I thought I was the only one that spotted that.

I'm an awful long way from joining the calls for Maher's head but my goodness, that was a bloody awful performance, not a single one of them at the races and some of them so devoid of any confidence at the moment. Bridge and Walker, of the starting line up, and Pepple, of the subs, were the only ones really deserving of any credit.

We have to realise that other clubs have worked our game plan out, which is why we need to vary our tactics. Our passing was abysmal, gone were the neat triangles which have been a characteristic of our play. Instead we were trying to run with the ball and then just losing possession tamely.

I thought Moncur was trying too hard and just running into trouble every time. I defended Bonne last week, thought he won the vast majority of headers but with no-one playing off him. This week, he was really ineffective.

Collin is a major problem at the moment, his kicking is dreadful and he doesn't look confident at all.

There was no fight in the team. Gus was frustrated and petulant - that yellow looked close to being a red to me. Ralph and Taylor were both shadows of their former selves.

Some really hard work and some harsh words to be had in training next week. Credit to Maidenhead though because, again, they had done their homework and they closed us down really quickly, often two up on Bridge and Gus. McCoulsky seems to have developed into a strong young forward - was very impressed. Always loved Sam Barratt too, so hugely disappointed to hear some boos for him - mind you, I hate hearing booing for our team, I think it's really counter productive, but I do understand the frustration.

And on the back of that, Cav was back running yesterday and is waiting to see if there is a reaction to it. Hopes to be back by the end of the month.
I like the last bit, and agree with the rest, but as active as he is/was: Bridge has been sussed by the world and his watching scout.
His predictability is second only to Christmas ads in October, and equally unwelcome.

I know it’s all terribly frustrating just now. But next Saturday against Eastleigh in the cup Kev needs to use this game to play some of our bench warmers, Kev owes it to them.
The result is immaterial just now, so I would drop Colin, Bonne and maybe another. Start Hilson, Wind and maybe Wood. They deserve to start or what’s the point of having them here ?
Kev needs to show some loyalty to the squad not just the so called regulars that are not performing.
In reality most of the team yesterday need dropping, but we know that’s not practical.
Agreed. Start all the players who are on the bench, try something different.

Went to the railway after the match.

It seems matchday beers are the highlight of watching Southend.

Anyway, I was surprised to see the chairman bowl into the pub at around 8.30.

Great, we will have a chat and get some reasoned debate.

No chance. He was absolutely wrecked and couldn't really speak to be honest.

It's not a good look to see the chairman in such a state on the matchday following 3 successive defeats.

Apparently his words were. "Kevs here to stay"
I think we all know that Kev's here to stay unless we are in the relegation zone in March. Just have to hope he learns some lessons and gets the team to play for him again.

Players were yet again not up to it. Starting to believe Noor is a real issue in this side. Moncur with no end product again.

Someone infront of me getting into an arguement with Bridge, sad to see. Criticism is justified but abuse is not.

Extremely sad to see how mentally drained these players look, desperately hope they turn it round.

I heard the skipper threatened to leave the club if Kensdale was kept on. Sounds like the situation has contributed a lot to our situation this season both on and off the pitch
It does, but then you think of the Eastleigh and Solihull performances and it gets confusing. You can't have a demoralised toxic dressing room, full of crap players (my words not yours) one week and not the next can you ? If its going well all is good but the slightest set back, chance missed or soft goal conceded, and you can see the confidence sapping away.

Players were yet again not up to it. Starting to believe Noor is a real issue in this side. Moncur with no end product again.

Someone infront of me getting into an arguement with Bridge, sad to see. Criticism is justified but abuse is not.

Extremely sad to see how mentally drained these players look, desperately hope they turn it round.
Agree with you regarding Noor. One of too many non goalscorers in the team. Rarely finds the back of the net, very few assists. Has skill but not the sort of player we need. We are crying out for midfielders and defenders who can contribute with goals. This has been a problem ever since we have been in this division.

What i am struggling to get to grip with how the players can put in performances against Eastleigh and Sollihull and fail to repeat in the following games with well below performances. Whilst can accept with have had injuries and we had to bed in new players which takes time what i cant accept is what the team is currently giving. Yes Maher and co are responsible for coaching and team selection once those players cross the white line onto the pitch they are responsible then.

We dont appear to have a vocal leader on the pitch which we need to motivate the players yes we have a mix of experience and youth but no leader. These players need to step up to show why Kev has brought them to the club.
Onwards to the next game we need a performance to stop this malaise getting intrenched
Agree with so much of what you have said and we absolutely miss a leader out there.

I'm not sure it's a performance out there we need now, because they only come with confidence, which in so many players, is shot right now.

What we need is a team willing to fight for a few positive results and then performances can build again.

For Kev to get those results, he will know that reputations mean nothing and he needs to assess who he can rely on and who will fight for the shirt. Observing a few players yesterday during and after the game, it was easy to spot who was hurting and who didn't give a ****.

Agree with you regarding Noor. One of too many non goalscorers in the team. Rarely finds the back of the net, very few assists. Has skill but not the sort of player we need. We are crying out for midfielders and defenders who can contribute with goals. This has been a problem ever since we have been in this division.
Our issue all season has been the midfield. So f*cking static and scared or cant be bothered to move. I wont blame Kev for us going backwards, no way in hell does management tell the team to play negative in a game like yesterday.

Noor is criminal for it, Moncur is static unless on the ball, KAF offered some movement but not enough.

Feel sorry for our strikers, Bonne came in deep a few times and had SO mcuh space, but none of the midfielders moved off of it to create something, very very disappointing.

Back