• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-2 Maidenhead United

I'm an awful long way from joining the calls for Maher's head but my goodness, that was a bloody awful performance, not a single one of them at the races and some of them so devoid of any confidence at the moment. Bridge and Walker, of the starting line up, and Pepple, of the subs, were the only ones really deserving of any credit.

We have to realise that other clubs have worked our game plan out, which is why we need to vary our tactics. Our passing was abysmal, gone were the neat triangles which have been a characteristic of our play. Instead we were trying to run with the ball and then just losing possession tamely.

I thought Moncur was trying too hard and just running into trouble every time. I defended Bonne last week, thought he won the vast majority of headers but with no-one playing off him. This week, he was really ineffective.

Collin is a major problem at the moment, his kicking is dreadful and he doesn't look confident at all.

There was no fight in the team. Gus was frustrated and petulant - that yellow looked close to being a red to me. Ralph and Taylor were both shadows of their former selves.

Some really hard work and some harsh words to be had in training next week. Credit to Maidenhead though because, again, they had done their homework and they closed us down really quickly, often two up on Bridge and Gus. McCoulsky seems to have developed into a strong young forward - was very impressed. Always loved Sam Barratt too, so hugely disappointed to hear some boos for him - mind you, I hate hearing booing for our team, I think it's really counter productive, but I do understand the frustration.

FYI - Coker returning to full training Monday and should be available next weekend.
And on the back of that, Cav was back running yesterday and is waiting to see if there is a reaction to it. Hopes to be back by the end of the month.

We just need to see some improvement, not the odd game then return to the shambles we have been served up recently. This hasn't been good all season, this excuse, that excuse.
It speaks volumes to me that GSM has scored all our goals (through his personal desire) and we aren't sharing them out amongst our other players... set up to blame or player quality?

Wow.

I haven't read the whole thread but I think just a page or two gives a pretty accurate reflection on what is on the other 15... I don't think I'm missing anything.

So that was one of the worst SUFC performances I have witnessed. The worst ever? Don't know... it was pretty terrible under Brown second time around and the Molesley and Bond teams were truly awful, but at a higher level.

Anyhow, I think one of the biggest problems is that after the RM era, we were all so euphoric that we thought we would just walk the league. Yes, I was in that camp too.

Sadly, football has a habit of bringing you back down to earth with a jolt and at the moment we appear to be free falling without a parachute.

Or are we?

Last year, Maher said on many occasions what a fantastic achievement it was for the team to be where they were. The siege mentality and determination got us places we probably shouldn't have been and - on the pitch, certainly - we exceeded all expectations given the points deduction and fact that most of our players had come from part time or lower leagues.

The delay with the takeover screwed us pre-season wise and we missed all our targets. Cardwell going and Kensdalegate robbed us of two of our most influential players, and the loss of Miley means the entire spine of our side was ripped out in a week. This was just over a month ago.

Can I also remind everyone that that just under a month ago we took Eastleigh apart at the Hall in a 2-0 victory that was probably one of the best performances in many years. LESS THAN A MONTH!

Without any particular reference to the posters who made the following comments, I've just selected a few posts from the first page of the post-match thread -

Since then we have lost 3 homes games on the trot BUT have also delivered a very good away performance at Solihull Moors with a 4-2 win and got a draw at Wealdstone.

We have long been patting ourselves on the back for what a fantastic bunch of fans we are, we must be the best in the country to still be supporting after what we've been through, yada yada yada. Well, now is the time for us to stand up and be counted.

It's very easy to shout for the manager to go but is that the right thing to do here? The whole structure is based on continuity and patience, giving players the chance to develop. Can I remind everyone of Kensdale's perfomances when he first arrived (they weren't great) and he is now probably the biggest miss of the players that have gone. Because he had time to develop and work in a system that made us a very good side and hard to beat.

At the moment we must be one of the easiest teams to play against as we are so one paced and predictable.

Individually, players are terrified, clearly. That's a lack of confidence. No-one is making runs or moving into space, so whoever has got the ball has no options, hence it goes sideways or backwards. That's not what Maher wants them to do, but it's probably what they are told to do rather than give the ball away if there are no options.

Collin hasn't had a great season but did make some great saves at Solihull and kept us in that game. His error yesterday from a header that kicked up off the turf higher than expected happens. It didn't cost us the game as we were already 1-0 down. Their keeper, who I've seen referred to as their MoM, let an easy cross through his hands in the first 20 seconds and we nearly scored then. Everyone makes mistakes. His distribution is poor but Kensdale was always the "out" ball for him... he didn't have to go long as often as he does now. He's a young keeper (and a promising one) but he is having a tough time and could probably do with a spell on the bench.

GSM was poor yesterday as was pretty much everyone. Trying to pick a MoM was tough. Walker maybe? Taylor? Both delivered only 6/10 performances anyway but no-one else got anywhere near. Moncur is showing none of the early promise and, for those who remember him, reminds me of when we signed Billy Kellock from Wolves in the mid 1980's. He had played in the first televised game of the season, a Division 1 game between Spurs and Wolves, and a few weeks later he was here. Initially he was masterful, clearly a cut above. By December we were awful and he was worse.

Bonne is showing none of his ability. There clearly has been a player in there, but he hasn't come out yet.

Bridge is missing Fonguck big time and aside from the penalty v Eastleigh hasn't contributed anything this season, although did have our best effort yesterday.

Husin had one of his woeful games yesterday, as did Crowther. KAF has forgotten how to run into space.

But form is temporary. These players are pro footballers and the cure is NOT to just change the manager. I think as fans we need to collectively bite our lips and accept that Rome wasn't built in a day. This season may well be a struggle but I really don't think we will be going down and the playoffs aren't out of the question either - but we do need to add to the squad.

So over to COSU. If there is no money and we can't add to it, then let us all know so we know what to expect.

And as fans, we need to get back behind the team. Yesterday was the flattest I have seen it for years. Encouragement and support will help more than abuse.

We need to play our part too. It's not enough to buy the merch and the tickets... we need to get the Hall back to being a difficult place to come. That's something we can control. Intimidate the opposition, not our own players.
I see it, very subtle there …well played ! 👏🏼👏🏼😂

Remember the great performance against Eastleigh a few weeks back? A true example of one swallow doesn't make a summer.

After reading Kevs comments I think the next few games will be crucial for his future tenure as gaffer.

We just need to see some improvement, not the odd game then return to the shambles we have been served up recently. This hasn't been good all season, this excuse, that excuse.
It speaks volumes to me that GSM has scored all our goals (through his personal desire) and we aren't sharing them out amongst our other players... set up to blame or player quality?

If GSM carries on the way he is at present someone will be trying to sign him in the Jan window!

Wouldn't call it meltdown. There's a lot of reasoned debate going on.

We shouldn't belittle opinions because we don't agree with them.

When performances go well it's OK to praise the management and likewise when performances go badly it's OK to question their decisions.
Exactly! Guarantee the first thing when we win our next game comfortably there will be the usual suspects belittling those who have criticised or even mentioned Maher out.

It’s purely because it’s Kev Maher, if this was Phil Brown, people would be spitting feathers and calling for blood.

Three defeats on the bounce, each one worse than the other. Time for COSU to act. Put Maher on gardening leave and hand the reins to Currie. He would surely have a different approach but the continuity would be there.
I keep hearing currie currie currrie … on Twitter when Barnet beat us the Barnet fans were saying ‘great to see curries negative influence football spreading to Southend backward sideways etc etc etc ‘ mahers the manager currie and Bentley are the coaches .. they are the ones coaching the team , be careful what we wish for I’m surprised you’ve all turned on Kev so swiftly … I’m very clear we are watching dross but does this all sit at kevs door ??? I’d be surprised

My only concern is this .. as you know I’m no fan of this rhetoric that we are a non league club now … the concern being we are now heading into our 5th year of non league football we should have sorted ourselves now and started the slow process of turning the ship round. Anymore managerial changes etc etc etc will just start another 3-4 year transformation ( and that’s if we get it right ) and low and behold any idea of thought of being a football league club again are long gone … we’ve been trying to turn this ship round now for a good few years we’ve finally got a management team who are established , what the club needs are the owners to back the managers with real signings … proper players not untied kids or 30 something journeymen … we didn’t replace Cardewlll and we should have immediately a like for like should have been signed and it wasn’t .. that to me are owners not backing the manager

Christ almighty we’ve been hearing about this legendary white board for long enough now … I’m sure it didn’t have Pebble or Bonne on it! Oh for a lopata brunt and Neil to be down here again …

Went to the railway after the match.

It seems matchday beers are the highlight of watching Southend.

Anyway, I was surprised to see the chairman bowl into the pub at around 8.30.

Great, we will have a chat and get some reasoned debate.

No chance. He was absolutely wrecked and couldn't really speak to be honest.

It's not a good look to see the chairman in such a state on the matchday following 3 successive defeats.

Apparently his words were. "Kevs here to stay"

Well, what a load of absolute nonsense. And I don't mean on the pitch.

The I-told-you-so brigade luxuriating in their misery. 'I was laughed at', 'I was shot down', etc. but look at me now. Ridiculous lists of 'potential' replacements drawn up, comparisons made with previous substandard groups of players. A football team has a slump in form that needs sorting out and now one of the club's greatest servants needs to be hounded out. Instant gratification, entitlement, short-termism, all rearing their heads again. It's a perpetual cycle. A strategy of patience, development and stability is boring and for grown-ups.

Watch KM's post-match interview. He cares. He's determined. He'll sort it. But if it's not next week, that's not soon enough for some.
Never once have I suggested I want Maher gone, it’s ok to be wrong buddy .. doesnt mean I want to be right

My only concern is this .. as you know I’m no fan of this rhetoric that we are a non league club now … the concern being we are now heading into our 5th year of non league football we should have sorted ourselves now and started the slow process of turning the ship round. Anymore managerial changes etc etc etc will just start another 3-4 year transformation ( and that’s if we get it right ) and low and behold any idea of thought of being a football league club again are long gone … we’ve been trying to turn this ship round now for a good few years we’ve finally got a management team who are established , what the club needs are the owners to back the managers with real signings … proper players not untied kids or 30 something journeymen … we didn’t replace Cardewlll and we should have immediately a like for like should have been signed and it wasn’t .. that to me are owners not backing the manager

Christ almighty we’ve been hearing about this legendary white board for long enough now … I’m sure it didn’t have Pebble or Bonne on it! Oh for a lopata brunt and Neil to be down here again …
Some reasonable points but I don't think it's about not backing.

The owners can only negotiate with clubs and agents on recommendations from the scouting network reports. However, if that work hasn't been done properly, they can't do the scouts job for them. I am not sure that work has been done, after all, suddenly we have another chief scout in JD, which is why the squad is as it is. I am sure Bonne and Moncur will be on decent wages and COSU will be funding that, as we're not sustainable yet. Those players were recommended by who though?? Huge let down!

Pete wild needs to be at the top of Cosu list . Simple as that
Would be good on paper but football is a bit backs to the wall. Again built on a solid defence and being hard to beat. I’m not sure if that’s down to the sides he’s managed being smaller clubs in the leagues he’s managed in tho.

He won’t change his style , tactics or favourite players so he’s got to go now!
Husin, useless still gets the vote over poor Morton . Collin, how bad you gotta be to not get replaced?
Crowther, liability, Bridge one trick pony, Bonne way off the pace, Kaf will be the next one replaced by sideways Miley.
Lack of flexibility and ideas from Maher, it’s only October. His interviews are the same as his management, boring and full of excuses. I don’t like Cowley but he is so passionate and looking for ideas to rectify a bad performance, our bloke puts out a carbon copy every week and most people I know have had enough (bet Rigsby is still happy with it all?)

He won’t change his style , tactics or favourite players so he’s got to go now!
Husin, useless still gets the vote over poor Morton . Collin, how bad you gotta be to not get replaced?
Crowther, liability, Bridge one trick pony, Bonne way off the pace, Kaf will be the next one replaced by sideways Miley.
Lack of flexibility and ideas from Maher, it’s only October. His interviews are the same as his management, boring and full of excuses. I don’t like Cowley but he is so passionate and looking for ideas to rectify a bad performance, our bloke puts out a carbon copy every week and most people I know have had enough (bet Rigsby is still happy with it all?)
….the Eastleigh and Solihull performances were good enough for top seven, somehow he has turned it into bottom 4 and it will be if you keep the same keeper as an average of 0/1 goals a game cannot compensate

I know it’s all terribly frustrating just now. But next Saturday against Eastleigh in the cup Kev needs to use this game to play some of our bench warmers, Kev owes it to them.
The result is immaterial just now, so I would drop Colin, Bonne and maybe another. Start Hilson, Wind and maybe Wood. They deserve to start or what’s the point of having them here ?
Kev needs to show some loyalty to the squad not just the so called regulars that are not performing.
In reality most of the team yesterday need dropping, but we know that’s not practical.

Back