• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Podcast / Fanzine Shrimperscast

They have shown ambition with the level of player, and the fees they have outlaid so far. Whilst we haven’t been “pulling up any trees” isn’t exactly down to COSU.

Our primary target to replace Cards is injured elsewhere. We can’t do anything about that. In terms of Kensdale, I believe the plan is for a “project” very much like Kensdale was in the first place. Without injuries, we currently have Ralph, Gubbins, Crowther & Taylor. We’d be mad to spend the same sort of money in wages on another one, when only three will play. Yes, you can talk about squad depth, injuries, suspensions etc. I’ve heard of a name I like the sound of a lot as the potential “project”. Would you bring in a “project” now, when he won’t come straight into the team, or in January/February time when he will be able to get used to full time training, and then ultimately have a pre-season and hit the ground running next year. Brooklyn was a project but with a very busy father unfortunately.

We’ve been unfortunate in losing the spine of the team within the space of 7/10 days. However, you can’t replace Cards and everything he did in the blink of an eye. Kensdale, we did at least have Crowther already in the building. So Crowther has replaced Kensdale, the question is who replaces Crowther.

We’ve also got players that haven’t hit the ground running, players out of form, and a spell of Saturday/tuesday/Saturday and away days. Yes they are excuses, but they are also reasons too.

I think this season was always going to be tough to expect promotion. Yes I wanted to be higher in the table, and I still think the playoffs is achievable.

The next player we will need to replace is Gus. Although Wind is in the building already.
Rumours of clubs circling around Gus then or just as having amazing season he’s bound to go?

Also do you think us being wedded to 3 at the back is becoming an issue to our form too? We appear to have been worked out, comprehensively by Gateshead who looked streets ahead of us.

The fact is Southend haven't replaced there 2 best players with sufficient quality that's fact, Which has left maher & co hamstrung on the pitch..... so how have Southend shown ambition when they haven't replaced there 2 best players? Southend went into September with 1 striker available for goodness sake, doesn't exactly strike of ownership backing there manager does it..... i dont see how your argument can stand up. I will acknowledge the fact COSU walked into a mess with Southend so from that aspect i get things will take time to get Southend back to professional standard. I would love to meet Justin this Saturday but unfortunately I have to work this Saturday.

It's not fact at all, it's a projection. Macauley Bonne could eventually hit form and score lots of goals, or he might not, cause obviously one cannot control every single micro aspect in football.

If COSU/recruitment signed another Cardwell type NLS striker with a minuscule goal scoring record prior to us (which Harry indeed had) they would get berated for "not showing ambition". So they sign Championship and league 1 campaigner Macauley Bonne who possessed a lethal goal scoring feat at this level and, surprise surprise, they're somehow being unambitious again for some strange reason.

Another claim of yours "Walker didn't cost a lot as Burton were quite happy to get him off the wage bill"...is that not an oxymoron? It does not add up. If Burton are motivated to get him off wage bill it implies that they wish to deploy his salary elsewhere, implies the complete opposite.

You further claim in another post that Crewe Alexandra have been cutting their cloth accordingly for years. They made a financial loss of £1.5million last year, their revenue has dropped 30% and just as recently as a couple months ago are publicly asking for investment to provide additional financial support - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crgmyjwe1vko

Also I don't think COSU's short term strategy is just relying on fans goodwill of consistently showing up in strong numbers at all. The very podcast we're quoting has Justin literally declaring that COSU's investment into our club for the year will total £6,000,000. Yes. £6million. Also that our wage bill is HIGHER than last years.

Seriously, I pray Justin and other members don't read this forum. I just despair. They must wonder why they even bothered, the most thankless task they will ever do in their life is saving our football club it seems.

The fact is Southend haven't replaced there 2 best players with sufficient quality that's fact, Which has left maher & co hamstrung on the pitch..... so how have Southend shown ambition when they haven't replaced there 2 best players? Southend went into September with 1 striker available for goodness sake, doesn't exactly strike of ownership backing there manager does it..... i dont see how your argument can stand up. I will acknowledge the fact COSU walked into a mess with Southend so from that aspect i get things will take time to get Southend back to professional standard. I would love to meet Justin this Saturday but unfortunately I have to work this Saturday.
Losing two key players in September isn’t really the ideal time to find a quality replacement.

I expect we will have to wait until January at the earliest to see suitable replacements for Cardwell and Kensdale. I don’t think that shows a lack of ambition, it’s just the reality of losing two key players after most teams have already completed their summer transfer business.

It's not fact at all, it's a projection. Macauley Bonne could eventually hit form and score lots of goals, or he might not, cause obviously one cannot control every single micro aspect in football.

If COSU/recruitment signed another Cardwell type NLS striker with a minuscule goal scoring record prior to us (which Harry indeed had) they would get berated for "not showing ambition". So they sign Championship and league 1 campaigner Macauley Bonne who possessed a lethal goal scoring feat at this level and, surprise surprise, they're somehow being unambitious again for some strange reason.

Another claim of yours "Walker didn't cost a lot as Burton were quite happy to get him off the wage bill"...is that not an oxymoron? It does not add up. If Burton are motivated to get him off wage bill it implies that they wish to deploy his salary elsewhere, implies the complete opposite.

You further claim in another post that Crewe Alexandra have been cutting their cloth accordingly for years. They made a financial loss of £1.5million last year, their revenue has dropped 30% and just as recently as a couple months ago are publicly asking for investment to provide additional financial support - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/crgmyjwe1vko

Also I don't think COSU's short term strategy is just relying on fans goodwill of consistently showing up in strong numbers at all. The very podcast we're quoting has Justin literally declaring that COSU's investment into our club for the year will total £6,000,000. Yes. £6million. Also that our wage bill is HIGHER than last years.

Seriously, I pray Justin and other members don't read this forum. I just despair. They must wonder why they even bothered, the most thankless task they will ever do in their life is saving our football club it seems.
Come on now, it's football fans having a debate, that's what a football forum is designed for...... Aren't fans allowed a voice? Cardwell and kensdale haven't been replaced with sufficient quality so I'm not allowed to question that. Yes you say bonne but we signed him on 1 year deal so hardly a out and out replacement for cardwell, more like stop gap signing to see us through the season. I'm entirely greatful to COSU for saving the club but that doesn’t mean they get free pass where a fan can't question a decision ie maybe not backing the manager in the transfer market. I acknowledge that COSU have walked into mess at Southend so I do understand that things will take time but when Southend getting 7k plus week and sitting 16th in the National League fans do have right to question what he'll is going on. Ie is it maher and his tactics or is it the lack of transfer activity.

Last edited:
Back