• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Shrimpers Sign GK Jeacock on Loan

Nice to see we are welcoming a new member of staff like that? Any particular reason why he is at fault?
Maher is being questioned in some quarters and rightly so. The goalkeeping coach shouldn't be immune to criticism or anyone else in the first team coaching set-up for that matter.

Maher is being questioned in some quarters and rightly so. The goalkeeping coach shouldn't be immune to criticism or anyone else in the first team coaching set-up for that matter.

He has been through the door five minutes.

How can you criticise him when you have no evidence of his work?

I understand, but don’t agree with the criticism of Kev, but you can disagree with formations/tactics/substitutions, whereas you don’t actually get to see the work of a goalkeeper coach unless you are at the training ground.

Colin is a good keeper, but the last few seasons have put him under a lot of pressure, which at times seem to effect his performance and then his confidence drops, this rubs off on the defence.

He’s now got Jeacock to share the burden with, train with, and also to push each other on. Plus we’ve got coverage should he take a knock.

I would expect Colin to play this afternoon, if he doesn’t have the best game I can see him being rested.

It’s a needed move to bring a strong keeper to challenge. The slight difficulty with the dynamic is that if Jeacock gets the first team spot we benefit a player with no likely chance of keeping at the expense of our player. The same happens with every loan who is tipped for better but could have a negative consequence.

I understand, but don’t agree with the criticism of Kev, but you can disagree with formations/tactics/substitutions, whereas you don’t actually get to see the work of a goalkeeper coach unless you are at the training ground.
Kev however does get to see the goalkeeper coaching on a daily basis. At a recent home game (Gateshead I think) Kev spent 3/4 of the game absolutely laying into the GK coach about Collin’s performance. In nearly 40 years of supporting Southend I have never seen a manager do this before. Not wanting to draw any conclusions from this. Simply an observation.

So we deny a move for Collin to the EFL - and have been looking (for a while) to bring in a loan keeper that, judging from Lincoln's comments we don't have much hope of signing permanently. Doesn't sound like forward planning to me. Don't we need a keeper that can replace Collin when (if) he moves on?

So we deny a move for Collin to the EFL - and have been looking (for a while) to bring in a loan keeper that, judging from Lincoln's comments we don't have much hope of signing permanently. Doesn't sound like forward planning to me. Don't we need a keeper that can replace Collin when (if) he moves on?

We have a couple of names.

Would one of them be happy to potentially sit on the bench till January/summer until the time comes? Better they are out playing matches at their clubs for the time being.

We have a couple of names.

Would one of them be happy to potentially sit on the bench till January/summer until the time comes? Better they are out playing matches at their clubs for the time being.
Guess it depends - if they're currently part-time - then a move to full time training and sitting on bench might be beneficial. And also how confident that targets can be brought in if needed in Jan. How happy is Zack to be bench warming?

Collin is undoubtedly a prospect, as he showed last season. Seems like the pressure of expectation or the maybe the general poor team performances.

I think he needs a rest, or he’ll get burnt out. We really don’t want him to become the next Ted Smith.

Give the kids a break and play Jeacock for a couple of games. Would like to see a rotation system which would be beneficial to both keepers.

Collin is undoubtedly a prospect, as he showed last season. Seems like the pressure of expectation or the maybe the general poor team performances.

I think he needs a rest, or he’ll get burnt out. We really don’t want him to become the next Ted Smith.

Give the kids a break and play Jeacock for a couple of games. Would like to see a rotation system which would be beneficial to both keepers.
Rotation?

They could be the new flavs or bart...

I may be forgetting in my old age but I don’t recall Bentley being taken out the team even when he had a few tough games, he was as young. It’s about character and mental fitness. Dan has this and has unsurprisingly to most gone on to play in the Prem. You need a strong self belief, thick skin and ability to shut out noise on match day & online criticism. Although they shouldn’t have to put up with as much of it as they do

Bishop and Oxley competed for the shirt, which is perhaps more the scenario we need, a young prospect (Collin) and a more experienced keeper.

Last edited:

I'm sticking with my original opinion unless convinced otherwise. I'm a stubborn old bugger ;-)

Last edited:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back