• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper in Dagenham..ITS A BEAUTIFUL DAY

Its not hard to work out why so many people around here support West Ham. They're the nearest "big" club, and theres huge links between the two areas which pre-date any of us on here.

I'd have thought what would have been more concerning to us was the fact that there were as many Liverpool shirts out in Southend yesterday as West Ham.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,23:55)]I'd have thought what would have been more concerning to us was the fact that there were as many Liverpool shirts out in Southend yesterday as West Ham.
BINGO!

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,22:55)]Its not hard to work out why so many people around here support West Ham. They're the nearest "big" club, and theres huge links between the two areas which pre-date any of us on here.

I'd have thought what would have been more concerning to us was the fact that there were as many Liverpool shirts out in Southend yesterday as West Ham.
that is quite simply incorrect and therefore should be excluded from the argument . How many houses /cars/people did you see decoratred with red / LFC balloons , flags ,bunting etc compared to Claret and Blue in the Southend area yesterday ? For you to say there was as much visible evidence of Scouse support as Cockney is ridiculous. Also what are these " huge -links" that " pre-date any of us" . for what its worth my grandparents were from the East End and loved football ( i wont say who ) I am from Southend and support my local Club , always have done .

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 14 2006,23:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,23:55)]I'd have thought what would have been more concerning to us was the fact that there were as many Liverpool shirts out in Southend yesterday as West Ham.
BINGO!

cool.gif
What do you mean BINGO . Are you claiming that the argument is won on that
rock.gif
" evidence " ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,22:55)]Its not hard to work out why so many people around here support West Ham. They're the nearest "big" club, and theres huge links between the two areas which pre-date any of us on here.

IMHO it has zilch to do with family history at all , if SUFC were in a higher League than WHU do you really think the kids would be claiming unwarrented alligance " the Irish great great great great grandmother " style of course not. Agreed people want to ascotiated with winners and fashion , what we have to do is break the cycle and show its far cooler to support a team who you can still "touch" ie SUFC that some multimillion pound marketing racket like Spurs , whu or the Arse.

There were as many Liverpool shirts out yesterday as West Ham. Certainly in the High Street and in the Hogshead. There was red everywhere.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:26)]I am from Southend and  support my local Club , always have done .
So all those people who migrated from the East End support West Ham United, always have done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 14 2006,23:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:28)]What do you mean BINGO .     Are you claiming that the argument is won on that  
rock.gif
 " evidence "  ?
No. Why?
so what did you mean by BINGO then exactly ?
I mean that Beefy's observation that there were just as many Liverpool shirts as West Ham shirts in Southend yesterday is spot on ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,23:36)]There were as many Liverpool shirts out yesterday as West Ham. Certainly in the High Street and in the Hogshead. There was red everywhere.
I cant argue withyou on that front cos i did nt go in The Hogshead but i will never accept that Liverpool are as well supported in south east essex as WHU , it simply is not correct is it ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 14 2006,23:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 14 2006,23:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:28)]What do you mean BINGO .     Are you claiming that the argument is won on that  
rock.gif
 " evidence "  ?
No. Why?
so what did you mean by BINGO then exactly ?
I mean that Beefy's observation that there were just as many Liverpool shirts as West Ham shirts in Southend yesterday is spot on ...
but it isnt spot on FFS it couldnt be more wrong , were you in Southend yesterday Mike ? a yes or no is all i want to that question ,please.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 14 2006,23:36)]
[b said:

IMHO it has zilch to do with family history at all , if SUFC were in a higher League than WHU do you really think the kids would be claiming unwarrented alligance " the Irish great great great great grandmother " style of course not. Agreed people want to ascotiated with winners and fashion , what we have to do is break the cycle and show its far cooler to support a team who you can still "touch" ie SUFC that some multimillion pound marketing racket like Spurs , whu or the Arse.
And IMHO you're massively over-simplifying. People don't jump onto the West Ham bandwagon because for the past 20 years there hasn't been much of a bandwagon to jump on.

It isn't the people who support West Ham who should be our concern. There ARE massive links in terms of population between Southend and the East End and the fact (no matter how much you might want to deny it) is that we have to accept that a significant proportion of the people around here happen to be West Ham fans. Same, although to a lesser extent, with Spurs. It doesn't matter how good Southend United are to these people, they still support their club and us being insecure about that doesn't do anyone any good.

Its the "fans" of the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United who we can rightly play the "you should be supporting your local club" card against because most of these people tend not to go to their team's home matches and their links with their clubs are usually tenuous at best.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:40)]I cant argue withyou on that front cos i did nt go in The Hogshead  but i will never accept that Liverpool are as well supported in south east essex as WHU  ,  it simply is not correct is it ?
When I was a lad, just about everyone at my school supported Liverpool, the team that was winning everything at the time. Kids will follow success and that allegience tends to stay with them as they grow up. I know my brother was a Liverpool nut in the early 80s and remains one to this day. (Hopefully this current period of success at Southend will nuture a healthy future fan-base for the Shrimpers.) You can't expect someone just to dump their devotion to their club just because the local outfit is having a bit of success, can you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 15 2006,00:45)]It doesn't matter how good Southend United are to these people, they still support their club and us being insecure about that doesn't do anyone any good.
Another BINGO!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 15 2006,00:42)]but  it isnt spot on FFS    it couldnt be more wrong , were you in Southend yesterday Mike ?   a yes or no is all i want to that question ,please.
No.

But my mother-in-law mentioned just how many "red shirts" were being worn in the High Street yesterday afternoon. Is that okay?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 14 2006,23:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,23:36)]There were as many Liverpool shirts out yesterday as West Ham. Certainly in the High Street and in the Hogshead. There was red everywhere.
I cant argue withyou on that front cos i did nt go in The Hogshead but i will never accept that Liverpool are as well supported in south east essex as WHU , it simply is not correct is it ?
I think West Ham are the better supported of the two, but I also don't think that theres a massive amount in it. Certainly I know a lot more Liverpool fans than I know West Ham fans.

You're not going to convince me that I didn't see as many Liverpool shirts in Southend High Street yesterday as West Ham because I simply did. They were eveywhere. Maybe Liverpool fans are more likely to wear their colours or something....?

For what its worth and based on 26 years living in this town, I think West Ham are the most supported club in Southend, followed by Southend United, then Liverpool then Spurs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 15 2006,00:51)]For what its worth and based on 26 years living in this town, I think West Ham are the most supported club in Southend, followed by Southend United, then Liverpool then Spurs.
I seem to remember that was proved a few years ago by a special poll in the Evening Echo. If I remember correctly, about a third of all football fans who lived in Southend supported West Ham United. It would be interesting to do another poll I think ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 14 2006,23:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ May 14 2006,23:36)]
[b said:

IMHO  it has zilch to do with family history at all , if SUFC were in a higher League than WHU do you really think the kids would be claiming unwarrented alligance "   the Irish great great great great grandmother " style  of course not.   Agreed   people want to ascotiated with winners and fashion  , what we have to do is break the cycle and show its far cooler to support a team who you can still "touch" ie SUFC that some multimillion pound marketing racket like Spurs , whu or the Arse.
And IMHO you're massively over-simplifying. People don't jump onto the West Ham bandwagon because for the past 20 years there hasn't been much of a bandwagon to start with.

It isn't the people who support West Ham who should be our concern. There ARE massive links in terms of population between Southend and the East End and the fact (no matter how much you might want to deny it) is that we have to accept that a significant proportion of the people around here happen to be West Ham fans. Same, although to a lesser extent, with Spurs. It doesn't matter how good Southend United are to these people, they still support their club and us being insecure about that doesn't do anyone any good.

Its the "fans" of the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United who we can rightly play the "you should be supporting your local club" card against because most of these people tend not to go to their team's home matches and their links with their clubs are usually tenuous at best.
yes of course i was over simplyfying , i think you have to sometimes to make a point but I had a thought before the cup final that I wanted Whu to lose because there will be some floaters out there who , had West ham won the cup , would have "signed up " to the Claret n Blue but as they didnt may join our ranks and IMHO thier money is welcome and thier loyalty will evolve . Maybe im clutchin at straws.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 14 2006,23:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 15 2006,00:51)]For what its worth and based on 26 years living in this town, I think West Ham are the most supported club in Southend, followed by Southend United, then Liverpool then Spurs.
I seem to remember that was proved a few years ago by a special poll in the Evening Echo. If I remember correctly, about a third of all football fans who lived in Southend supported West Ham United. It would be interesting to do another poll I think ...
The encouraging thing about any such poll would be that the support for Southend United would be significantly higher. Certainly I've never known anything like it. Its not just the match-day attendances either, you can go into Southend any time now and you'll see people walking around in their Southend colours or driving around with their mini-kits in the car window or club flag flying. And the best part of all is the number of kids walking around with their Eastwood or Barrett shirts on.

I never thought I'd see the people of Southend get behind their local club the way they are at the moment.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back