• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Shaun Hobson joins Oldham

Because 1st season everyone called him ****.

Every season since a good section of the fans would call him slow and a liability.

When he was playing incredible, the players around him (Lopata, Arnold etc) would get the praise for upping Hobson's game.

Considering he never celebrated goals, there was never a fan connection really. In his time here, he only conducted 2 interviews with Chris Phillips I think.
He scored 6 goals in 3 years. If 3 years is not enough to build a rapport with fans whose fault is that? Our fans will always support players if they respond favourably.

Next season he'll be competing t the same level as us though in a better supported team with a proper transfer budget (which of course we don't have while we're under embargo).

As for what exodus?Perhaps you've missed the faxct that 3 over 30's and 1 youngster have already departed.
Shrimperjon hobson wanted out simple as that

This is a real kick in the gut, we all knew he would go and in fairness I wish him well as he was a solid servant for us....but Oldham?? He is definitely better than that. We need to get this club sale sorted ASAP as we are edging to picking off the scraps left over if it's not done soon and a season of fighting relegation - so far we have lost Steeeeeve - easily one of the best goalies at our level...same for Hobson as a defender. Letting go of one of the glass players in Murphy was the right decision

Next season he'll be competing t the same level as us though in a better supported team with a proper transfer budget (which of course we don't have while we're under embargo).

As for what exodus?Perhaps you've missed the faxct that 3 over 30's and 1 youngster have already departed.
Pretty standard for this time of year, expect more to go too yet.

He scored 6 goals in 3 years. If 3 years is not enough to build a rapport with fans whose fault is that? Our fans will always support players if they respond favourably.
First impressions count and with his first season played behind closed doors many had made up their mind long before he actually played in front of fans.

I also feel like shirt-kissing should be a category on Champ Manager.

He’s got good passing, he’s consistent, decent if not quite great in the air and ok pace but he’s weak on shirt-kissing Clive.

Real shame he’s gone but if the boys homesick, not much can be done about it. He’s come on leaps and bounds last season and maybe he needs another decent season under his belt to attract bigger fish. Mind you Oldham have plenty of potential to get our of this league next season and go on to do better things.

Good luck to the lad and thanks for his service.

Good by and good riddance! The guys control is awful and he looks awkward with the ball! Passing is woeful and although he has improved he's still definitely replaceable.
Your still high aren't you. The cross field passes to Bridge your another level and something we should have used a hell of a lot more. His control and comfort on the ball... you need to open your eyes Steve and stop watching just the keeper 😉

Next season he will playing at the sane level as us - not sure what you point is here
better supported team- not much in it and expect out attendances to be similar to theirs
proper transfer budget- well yes they aren’t under an embargo, but we don’t know what the budget will be under the new owners. It may not be as much or it may be more

missed the fact - assume you are referring to Arnold and Murphy? Both high earners and injury prone and not bought in by current regime. Assuming Hyde is the other one, he wasn’t our player and wasnt wanted for this season. Both Murphy and Hyde will be playing in NLS
the youngsters - Arrowsmith and Davies, can only assume they don’t fit into Kevs plans so rightly let go to allow them to find new clubs

so I guess that’s an exodus but can’t really see any issue with any of them leaving apart from maybe Davies
You'll have noticed that 5 players have departed (4 of them senoir ones) while none of them have been replaced.Personally I think the end of June and July will be a hugely difficult time for SUFC.It's players,staff and supporters.I'd much rather discuss that than any hypothetical take over deal which may or may not be going on in the background.

All these people claiming to be "not bothered" about first losing Lopata and now Hobson, it's almost laughable.

Agree, though from seeing how the Kacper thing played out, from a personality point, I'm not sad he's gone, but of course, from a footballing perspective, he was probably the best Centre Back in the league.

I'm twixt and between on our ex-Shaun.
He was awful to start with but got better. When alongside Lopata he blossomed out of all proportion to what went before.
He was athletic and rarely injured, but his passing? Still think it was hit (the back of the stand, lol) and miss.
Never thought he imposed himself as much as would have liked at set pieces. But as ever, it will depend on his replacement, assuming there's a need for one...
Good luck for sticking with us as long as he did.

Back