• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would two Hollywood actors want involvement with a Welsh club???
They got someone to make a shortlist of clubs that were within budget and then had each rated for facilities, fanbase, narrative, history and finance. Wrexham ended up coming top. I'd guess if we were looked into our score for the "finance" and "facilities" categories would have negated any points we got elsewhere.

I'm not going to say I think we could have made a profit for the seasons you listed, but I do wonder how much smaller those losses could have been with better recruitment, running of the club and a better mach day experience.

For many of those seasons we sacked managers and signed expensive 'wow' signings that cost a pretty penny and spent more time on the treatment table than the pitch. The food and drink offerings have been awful and sizeable potential income has been lost.

Of course you’re correct. His credentials for running a football club are and always have been non existent - Steve Kavanagh kept the club on the straight and narrow after that an uncontrolled Phil Brown was just allowed to wreck it.

Mind you 6 years ago Ron was the hero. I just sat there and thought how the hell can we afford all this - and of course we couldn’t.

https://www.shrimperzone.com/forums/threads/rob-kiernan-signs.93771/

Not a bad word said about Ron.

The quote from Justin is a message he sent me. Again I work in sports news publishing. It’s not hard to ask people questions and get answers.

I was going to upload the screenshot. @Cricko has seen the screenshot.

It’s public knowledge he is still looking for investment partners. This is how consortiums work. One person fronts it, other people find it.
Yep thats how consortiums work.

The worry here is if he is still look for for investment partners then the sale isnt that close. My questions here are how much more does he need financially to have a consortium ready to go? How many will be in the consortium, will they be equal partners (unlikely)?

I always think (just my opinion) that the more people in a consortium the harder they are to manage as people have differing views and anyone with a substantial investment / contribution will want a say.

Fingers crossed it all moves a head smoothly

It is terrible what has happened----Mentally you must be drained----If a new club is formed at least you will get peace of mind as you will be well away from RM who would bite the dust and be jealous of the power of the fans.

Can you imagine how he will feel?

It is terrible what has happened----Mentally you must be drained----If a new club is formed at least you will get peace of mind as you will be well away from RM who would bite the dust and be jealous of the power of the fans.

Can you imagine how he will feel?
I just cant see that working in a million years for a million reasons.
May as well just go and support southend manor.

Makes absolutely zero sense for us to effectively kill the club.

Just a front for kimura?
Here is my take on it, though I may add, not as in any way an ITK, but providing pure speculation.

Ron back in March announced he would be open to selling the club, OR (and it seems people have neglected to retain) welcome investment.

Selling means a takeover where he has NO involvement.

Welcoming investment, small or large, means he IS still somewhere involved.

At that March press conference he announced he had appointed an American company (can't recall the group) to search for an owner.

Questions I have on this:

1. How much were that company paid for their services? BECAUSE THEY FAILED TO DELIVER!
2. Where did that money come from? BECAUSE THEY FAILED TO DELIVER!
3. Are they now another added creditor? BECAUSE HE'S TAKEN AGAIN FROM OUR CLUB.

No matter how Ron shifts finance around, ultimately it's the club that suffers.

Anyway, what do we know now?

We know 2 sources have come forward as interested parties since March.

1. KIMURA
2. SOME AUSTRALIAN CHAP

The fan base are quite fickle and naive IMO because we'll take anyone in desperation.

I witnessed a supporter on Friday dressed with a cork hat, an Aussie flag, and carrying an inflatable kangaroo! What is that about?? We know very little about this guy. For all we know, he could be as incompetent as Ron, and give us a repeated 20 years of further bad decisions and debt.

Kimura - we DO know wanted to buy the club, takeover, which means Ron gone. At that time, Ron emotionally wanted to sell but something changed, and I have an inkling what. Again, this is pure speculation.

Ron of course being Ron, speaks often on emotion, but what he really wants deep down is to keep his dream alive. He often tells people what they want to hear, then does the opposite. History will tell you that again and again.
Therefore, an investor would be his preference and maybe that's why he fobbed Kimura off and changed goalposts when a takeover was close.

Did he then find an alternative investor?

Enter Mr Aussie.....

What do we know?

Speculation has suggested he would come in with a consortium of local businessmen. Who?? We dont know....

Again, what do we know?

He has been involved with a few small businesses in Australia before he gave up his partnership and took his investment funds with him. He's been in London for a year, potentially looking for his next venture.

Maybe this is where Ron met him, sold him a dream (like he has done many), and perhaps why he supposedly likes him. Vitally remember, Ron doesn’t like anyone, he uses them to get what he wants.

What else do we know about Mr Aussie?

Very little ..... what we know more is what we don't know.

He doesnt appear to be a mega rich sheik or American A lister, ready to turn us into a Wrexham.

Has he got money? Likely some from his split partnership, but not what we're looking for as a progressive owner.

So adding his smaller investment to a consortium makes sense.

He appears to be a very good leader and mentor, and respected by his former employees. But that doesn't necessarily make him a good businessman. It doesn't either mean he isn't, or could not in a group steer us in a good direction of financial growth. He could be great, or shambolic. It's a gamble, and more intreagingly, we don't know why Ron would favour him over Kimura. This is what concerns me.....

We don't know if he (and his consortium) wants to buy or invest, though we DO know, if it's investing, that means Ron is still involved.

For this reason, I'm in more favour of Kimura, who we now know, despite Ron lying, had the funds to take us over, along with a vision, as @CRATE has suggested.

The judge doesn't know who offers what, it's not in their interest to carry out Those words are banned in a potential takeover. All they are interested in is if HMRC will get their money.

It's Ron's job to carry out DD, and ultimately it's up to him whether he accepts or not, depending on his underlying agenda.

We as supporters have absolutely no control over whether Ron sells or not, and to whom.

But why are we just living on his word and happy to accept any potential new owner? Have we learned nothing in 20 years?

We are we not asking who these interested parties are, or researching them, and what their interest and vision is? Or are we happy to accept any outcome?

Of course, what we find out plays no part in if they takeover or invest, we have no control. But then we will know at least for WHO and WHAT we are protesting for, and should make our opinions, actions and voices make sense accordingly.

Right now, nothing is making sense, and everything is possible.

One further question I have to those who attended court. Did Ron when he mentioned the 'Aussie chap', state any of the words 'Investment' or 'takeover' in that sentence? This may give a clue to his agenda with this guy .....

Last edited:
They got someone to make a shortlist of clubs that were within budget and then had each rated for facilities, fanbase, narrative, history and finance. Wrexham ended up coming top. I'd guess if we were looked into our score for the "finance" and "facilities" categories would have negated any points we got elsewhere.

Wrexham didn’t come top.

They went to buy Hartlepool beforehand, but their owner wanted too much money…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back