• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is of course the crux of the problem. The income that the club receives from its supporters/loyal fan base/ customers is no where near enough to allow the club to be financially stable and it is reliant on a benefactor to balance the books.

Is football unique where the fans etc whose hobby/ favourite past time, passion is reliant on an outside benefactor to enable the participants to enjoy their hobby?

Since the last watershed in 2010 the club has operated at a loss in each and every year, even after removing the inter company rent and management charges.

2010/11 Loss £1.15m
2011/12 Loss £726k
2012/13 LDV at Wembley Loss 614k
2013/14 Loss £1.267m
2014/15 Promotion Loss £1.812m
2015/16 Loss £707k
2016/17 loss £1.305m
2017/18 Loss £2.339m
2018/19 Loss £1.828m
2019/20 Relegation to L2 Loss £797k
2020/21 Relegation to NL Loss £1.004m

So would 5000 people be willing to put in £200 each extra every year to generate an extra £1m to balance the books - I doubt it.

I don’t buy a season ticket - I live 2 hours away and couldn’t afford the travelling cost to see every game - so the games I don't attend, the club gets nothing from me - apart from maybe a small share of a streaming fee. Guilty as charged.

At the end of July 2017 we owed HMRC £195k probably with no arrears. At the end of July 2021 we owed HMRC 10 times as much £1.95m - and other creditors around £2m.

We have been technically insolvent for years. Whilst SEL has funded in total £15.5 m at the end of 2021 it is £3m + short of the total deficits. This is what RM keeps funding now - the catch ups from prior years as creditors demand their money.

A Ltd Company is a private company and once there is a majority shareholder it’s completely in their hands.

If someone buys SEL/ Ron’s shares the club will be in the same position still reliant on a benefactor. Will supporters pay more for their hobby - I doubt it.

Football finance is a mess, will the Govt actually do anything? - I doubt it - too many vested interests.

View attachment 28482
I'm not going to say I think we could have made a profit for the seasons you listed, but I do wonder how much smaller those losses could have been with better recruitment, running of the club and a better mach day experience.

For many of those seasons we sacked managers and signed expensive 'wow' signings that cost a pretty penny and spent more time on the treatment table than the pitch. The food and drink offerings have been awful and sizeable potential income has been lost.

I'm not going to say I think we could have made a profit for the seasons you listed, but I do wonder how much smaller those losses could have been with better recruitment, running of the club and a better mach day experience.

For many of those seasons we sacked managers and signed expensive 'wow' signings that cost a pretty penny and spent more time on the treatment table than the pitch. The food and drink offerings have been awful and sizeable potential income has been lost.
A mixture of bad decisions, missed opportunities to explore and increase other income revenues and neglect.

There is noway we should be a loss making club on our crowds.

Maybe if the previous losses did not include planning costs for FF, legal fees, late payment fines,interest charges on loans, paying is wife 60k a year for doing sod all, his admin costs, helicopter flights, personal expenses and credit card payments, etc etc , we would not be in such a state.

I am sure there is more to add to that list.

I have said it before and i still stand by it now..

It is SUFC who have kept RM alive not the other way round.

Last edited:
Maybe if the previous losses did not include planning costs for FF, legal fees, late payment fines,interest charges on loans, paying is wife 60k a year for doing sod all, his admin costs, helicopter flights, personal expenses and credit card payments, etc etc , we would not be in such a state.

This 100%. Yes there would be losses, but a properly run league 2 club with our crowd levels should not make a loss year after year.

Yeah, I did think of some of those other things. Maybe we wouldn't be in the black every season, but where we might make a loss, it should be on the marginal side.

Reactions: jnl
So asked my cuz in Australia, who is well connected in business and politics, to look into him.

As a former World body building champion, she now runs a succesful business and has a lot of links.

Her response:

Nup. He’s a never heard of businessman - companies aren’t well known either.
Something smells fishy IMO.

So asked my cuz in Australia, who is well connected in business and politics, to look into him.

As a former World body building champion, she now runs a succesful business and has a lot of links.

Her response:

Just a front for kimura?

Her response:

Looks like a 🐠 smells like a fish 🐠 so must be a 🐠. If this was happening you’d at least expect the potential purchaser or investor to at put out a statement of intent to the clubs fans 🙄 but NADA

Her response:

More to the point why would someone with no apparent links to the Essex Riviera, or previous Football interests, want to get involved with Southend United..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back