• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sale of Southend United to Justin Rees and his consortium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that clarification. I gather from it he could still go the pre-pack route then with the court's permission and no objections from the creditors involved in the WUP. Is that correct?
It could.

The creditors would have a say but it’s the court that would make the final decisions they would have to be convinced based on a stack of evidence such as financial plans and proof that creditors would be better off following administration as opposed to liquidation.

Pre Packs are few and far between for a reason but two weeks out unless a whole lot of work has been completed I think the complexities that come with the process will be difficult( not impossible )to overcome

On the basis that consent has been granted what would be the grounds to withdraw PP ?

I have played through another scenario and it’s not good

1) RM doesn’t agree to a sell of the shares in the FC ( that’s all he is selling )
2) He pursues the FF development as is and builds a stadium to green book standard either in line with the current PP or the revised application if that’s agreed ( my guess he would go to appeal if the planning committee turned it down) and it would be likely he would win if there wasn’t a planning basis to turn it down
3) He then applies to redevelop RH the basic conditions re a new stadium having been complied with.

He , RM, doesn’t really have to do anything that he doesn’t want to nor in reality can anyone as things stand reverse things that have already been agreed .

RM still holds all the cards re RH and FF the statement clearly reflects the frustration that the consortium must be feeling and that is the worry
He’s broke. He can’t afford to fund the club and keep it afloat- and he needs to solve this problem to move onto the others. Even if he did a pre-pack to keep going remaining as the owner he can’t afford to fund the club or get the stadium into a fit state. He needs out. But can’t afford to sell I suspect below a price that allows him to clear certain liabilities. He holds all the cards without having a decent hand- so he’s bluffing..

Except SBC want the housing and this enabling development concept is relatively easy to kick into the long grass. The country is full of large developments in green field where it fits the the local government plan, and residents at FF would be delighted if the stadium wasn’t there. The enabling development piece was more about funding and getting Housing England involved. It’s a shame refurbishing the stadium can’t also be seen as an enabling development (indeed why can’t it?)

It is jam tomorrow and needs commitment from the council to support- after all for the consortium to accept future investment tied to FF monies they would want reasonable surety it will happen.

There really ought to be a way all the parties involved can reach a solution here. Less c**k waving and more talking. Again the requires SBC / local MPs to deliver something concrete as opposed to words of comfort.
All fair points, but as I said the original application was called in by the Secretary of State and so a planning inspector got involved with a long public enquiry. When local people could object (especially if the developer had let their beloved football club go bust because the developer was chasing his fortune).

It could take a long time before a spade in the ground is turned and I’m not sure the rat has time on his side.

We don't need a new stadium at the moment so that's good news that they are looking to sort out Rootshall, I can't see that rat selling up to be honest, we need someone with proper cash to come in and buy Southend, sounds like this lot haven't got that much about them on the money front.
If Ron lets it go to the wall will he pocket much ?

Except SBC want the housing and this enabling development concept is relatively easy to kick into the long grass. The country is full of large developments in green field where it fits the the local government plan, and residents at FF would be delighted if the stadium wasn’t there. The enabling development piece was more about funding and getting Housing England involved. It’s a shame refurbishing the stadium can’t also be seen as an enabling development (indeed why can’t it?)

It is jam tomorrow and needs commitment from the council to support- after all for the consortium to accept future investment tied to FF monies they would want reasonable surety it will happen.

There really ought to be a way all the parties involved can reach a solution here. Less c**k waving and more talking. Again the requires SBC / local MPs to deliver something concrete as opposed to words of comfort.

100% correct that the SCC want and need the housing but the cherry on their cake would be the homes that they would take into their ownership on the RH site

Ive always imagined you online as a spirited early 20 something, ha thats funny, go on boy you kick like a mule !
I can honestly say i had some real fun on the noth bank And going to away matches on the brothers grim coaches .Getting very rat arsed at a two day trip to plymouth . And on the way home the copach broke down in a service area .So we all whiled away the time playing football in the carpark .oh what fun thoees day were .

He’s broke. He can’t afford to fund the club and keep it afloat- and he needs to solve this problem to move onto the others. Even if he did a pre-pack to keep going remaining as the owner he can’t afford to fund the club or get the stadium into a fit state. He needs out. But can’t afford to sell I suspect below a price that allows him to clear certain liabilities. He holds all the cards without having a decent hand- so he’s bluffing..
It’s highly unlikely that he would get a pre pack agreed in his name. The regulations enabling such transactions have been significantly tightened up and I would imagine any Administration would only agree to him buying if there wasn’t anyone else and there was clear evidence that he could fund the club and that I will agree with you is probably something he can’t afford

But I come back to a question I posed yesterday namely what would he be selling ?Simply 70+% of shares in an insolvent FC with the value he has placed on it being £1. Yes it’s possible he would sell RH for £4.5 million but without having to find the costs of running the FC wouldn’t the pressure on him be significantly reduced ?
If the club is in administration he won’t have to fund the running of the FC and sadly what would be his motivation for keeping the club afloat ?

I am certainly not itk but I would suspect that the consortium want RH for no where close to the £4.5 million and their increased offer is a marginally increased offer for the site but as some sort of exit they probably want a chunk of that purchase price to be gifted back

Sorry but RM may not have a great hand but I suspect it’s good enough

Last edited:
I can honestly say i had some real fun on the noth bank And going to away matches on the brothers grim coaches .Getting very rat arsed at a two day trip to plymouth . And on the way home the copach broke down in a service area .So we all whiled away the time playing football in the carpark .oh what fun thoees day were .
Quickly off topic, i was on that trip, met my future wife ( R.I.P ) on the coach!. We broke down near Bridport on the Saturday!

100% agree with this. But having changed season ticket seats in the summer, the guy who is my new neighbour is really doing my head in this season because every other word is an expletive, normally shouted at the top of his voice.

I'm certainly no Mary Whitehouse and am not averse to firing off a few c-bombs when they are warranted. However, it really is tiresome when it is literally all the time.

But anyway, very off topic.
Ask him to shut the *** up?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back