• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ...........Sutton United (H)

Mick

Life President
Nothing to say about the history between the two clubs, other than that there is none.

The new arrangement for pooling referees in League One, League Two and the National League means that for the third match running we have a referee who last season was a Football League referee. The first two were good.

Saturday's referee is taking charge of his seventh Southend match. He is ginger-haired Alan Young from Ely, in his early to mid 40s and in his seventh season as a Football League referee. A former physical training instructor in the army he overcame a challenge or two in his earlier years and he became a respected and established non-league referee before joining the League list, where his fortunes have been rather mixed. An FA crony, he works as the Chief Executive Officer of the Bedfordshire FA at Milton Keynes having previously worked for the Cambridgeshire FA.

I had seen him referee in non-league a few times and he was always at least reasonable so I was not surprised he had a decent game in his first Southend home match, the 3-0 home win over Walsall 2018/19. Turner got our only yellow after replacing Lennon very early in the game. They, too, had one yellow. We also lost Hopper early on in that game. His other Southend match that season was the defeat at Peterborough. That finished 2-0, a match in which we had zero shots on target and, once again, one booking each: Dieng for us, and Ivan Toney for them.

His third Southend match was 2019/20, again against Peterborough, this time at home but another 2-0 defeat. Mantom getting the game’s only yellow card. Next came the riveting 0-0 at home to Tranmere back in January 2020. Demetriou got our solitary yellow card whereas they had 5. A poor match, refereed poorly.

Then came that lowest of low key matches, 2020/21’s away EFL Trophy match at Colchester. A 6-1 defeat with yellows for Hobson, White, Egbri and Chandler plus just one of theirs. Finally, his most recent match was the behind closed doors 2-0 home defeat by Carlisle, again in 2020/21. A yellow apiece, with ours going to Kyle Taylor.

It had all gone a bit wrong for him during 2019/20 and his previous high card count reached new levels as he became the first official to show 100 yellow cards and he had a few torrid matches.

Hid card showing has remained well above average in the years since he was last refereeing Southend. Last year’s efforts contained a match with 13 yellows and 2 reds. He has yet to have a cardless match in his 9 seasons of refereeing at National League or above – a record I’m sure he’s proud of.

Assisting will be Ryan Head from the Norwich area, returning just three and a half weeks after the Boston match, and Londoner, James Hurst making his 10th Roots Hall appearance, the most recent being against York this season. Fourth Official is Bradley Mingay, also from just outside Norwich.

Assisting will be Ryan Head from the Norwich area, returning just three and a half weeks after the Boston match, and Londoner, James Hurst making his 10th Roots Hall appearance, the most recent being against York this season. Fourth Official is Bradley Mingay, also from just outside Norwich.

A couple of changes; the two men from Norwich aren't coming.

Ryan Head is replaced by Andy Bennett from Woking (now here’s a man with a proper job – Head of Sales at Euroboozer; also former Chairman of the Woking Referees’ Society) who was going to be Fourth Official at Gillingham.
Bradley Mingay is replaced by Graham Swanton from Sawbridgeworth, a Head of Quality Assurance for a housing company.

Awful ref.

Undoubtedly takes his whistle to bed with him.

I’ve now a headache from listening to the **** blow it for 90 minutes.

It was hard to keep up with all his cards but did he book Gus twice?

Clarkey had a go about him when he went over put his arm round Morison's shoulder like they were old mates. Kev then said something & got booked. He said that whatever he was saying to Morison basically hugging him wasn't right.

Utterly dreadful from start to finish.

Clarkey had a go about him when he went over put his arm round Morison's shoulder like they were old mates. Kev then said something & got booked. He said that whatever he was saying to Morison basically hugging him wasn't right.

Utterly dreadful from start to finish.
That was weird - almost as if he was saying “ how am I doing Steve - am I still on for that bonus?”

We now know why he's never reffed a card free game.
If he wanted the spotlight on him, he should have gone on stage.
Very random decisions.

I was sure Gus got booked in first half for kicking ball away. Let's hope.we.are wrong.
He was. Late in the second half I thought he booked him again, though flashscore (very reliable) has it down as Husin. I'm sure it's an error and we may have got away with it.

No excuses for our shocking performance but the officials were woeful and as bad as our defence, and the ref surely bullied at school. Knew he was on one being picky about the position of a throw in after 2 minutes .... which he didn't stay consistent with the rest of the game. 4th official was also a t##t!

Back