• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Portsmouth Game

And if its true whats been said about the club shunning the efforts of the Trust, and then failing to muster up anything better despite the benefit of better contacts then it truly is a sorry state of affairs...

If the centenary means as much to the fans as people on here suggest then we'd have got a full house whoever we had played. If it doesn't then why should the club care less either?

I very much doubt this is the centenary match anyways, nothing has been mentioned as to this being it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 25 2006,20:04)]If the centenary means as much to the fans as people on here suggest then we'd have got a full house whoever we had played. If it doesn't then why should the club care less either?
Because as far as I can tell tomorrow's game has not been advertised as a Centenary Match it is just another pre-season friendly. It should have been promoted properly like the Family Fun Days, where are the posters?

There is nothing about it being a Centenary Match on the official site apart from a few lines a couple of weeks ago saying that a few former players might attend (probably Frankie Banks & Steve Tilson).

Looks like the mighty Lympstone Football Club who are also 100 years old this season have more events organised than Southend United
laugh.gif

Lympstone FC

Just to make things a bit clearer for you all:

The Portsmouth Match is not the Centenary Game. It was felt by the Centenary Committee that a midweek game was not the ideal time for a Centenary Match. The Committee are still looking into this for later in the Centenary Year.
However the Centenary First Day Cover will be launched tomorrow at half time with a Presentation of the first two covers issued, to the Trust Members who designed the covers.
The Covers will be on General Sale from the Trust Pavillion at MTBD and from the Trust Website next week.

The 'Retro' Shirt will be launched on the 3rd August and is not a 'Toffs' shirt but is a design based on the First Shirt worn by SUFC. It will be sold by the Club.

Further Events etc will be advised at the Press Launch on the 3rd.

Hope this clears a few things up.

I think the lack of any type of information concerning tomorrows game and its connections to the clubs centenary celebrations speaks volumes as to the actual situation at the club.

Consider this fly on the wall scenario:
A conversation between certain parties at the club " Ya know (insert name) I think we may have cocked up here with this centenary match thingy but dont worry, lets just say nothing, leave everyone to make up their own assumptions as to whats going on and sometime after the game on Wednesday we can make an announcement saying that the clubs centenary celebration plans are going well and that future statements will be made" .... "But (insert another name) won't the fans rumble the fact we cocked up big time?" .... "Nah, plausible deniability guv. Works for Bush it'll work for us"
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is our centenary SEASON as well as the centenary of the formation of the club. Don't be surprised if we eventually here of something being planned for the end of the season.

The clun have mentioned several times that the Portsmouth game kicks off the celebration of the centenary year. Thats been on the OS, in the Echo and was even announced on saturday over the tannoy after half-time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimperstrust @ July 25 2006,21:14)]It was felt by the Centenary Committee that a midweek game was not the ideal time for a Centenary Match.
Nothing wrong with a midweek game ..... just not a pre-season friendly against Portsmouth !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 25 2006,20:04)]If the centenary means as much to the fans as people on here suggest then we'd have got a full house whoever we had played. If it doesn't then why should the club care less either?
That is a very good point.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 26 2006,08:05)]
[b said:
That is a very good point.
BUT the game has not been advertised as a Centenary game even on the Official site today it states that it is our final home Pre-season friendly.  If it had been promoted as a Centenary game then prehaps it would be a good point.

Looks like we won't be having a Centenary Match unless it's at the end of the season and would that be too late?

Just seen the other thread about having a Centenary match at the start of NEXT season.  Why not wait until 2008 and then combine it with Maher's testimonial
laugh.gif

Why is everyone so concerned about playing big oppostion.

I couldn't care less if we did play a Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal (or more likely their reserves). I go to see Southend play, not the opposition play. A friendly against a big club for our centenary celebrations would be crap as the home stands would be packed full of gloy-hunting premier$hite fans with no knowledge of geography and no interest in our club. That would hardly be an appropriate celebration of our club's glorious history.

For me the perfect team to play would be our very first opponents, Swindon Reserves, but even then I'd be more interested in seeing some Southend legends wander on to the pitch before the game for a quick wave to the crowd. The perfect curtain-raiser would be the team of 1980-81 playing the team of 1990-91.

To be honest, I'd say that the best way to open celebrations on our centenary year would be to play at the highest level the club has ever achieved with (by trophies) the best manager we have ever had and potentially the best player we have ever had.

Oh...

I agree with a merging of HKB and Beefy's points. If people are so excited about the centenary celebrations then a friendly against Flint Town United would be good enough and loads of people would turn out. If it isn't the case, what are people looking for in a centenary game? A really high standard of football? A competitive fixture? Loads of people there?

Personally all I'd liked to have seen would be a bit of enthusiasm emanating from the club much like the link at the top of this page.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back