• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Portsmouth Game

Big dissapointment the so called centenery game.

Couldn't we have got a foreign club or a higher profile premiership club? No disrespect to Pompey, but a repeat of the Arsenal friendly that we had some years ago would have been good.

Oh well we can dream! Hopefully a trip to the Emirates Stadium or St.James' Park (Newcastle) come third round fa cup day will make up for it!

Why are people so sure the commercial department haven't approached every team in the Premier League, Seria A and La Liga?

Let's be reasonable, we are not the biggest draw in the world.

I would rather the commercial department put their efforts into trying to attract and retain new supporters because ultimately the extra revenue  is vital if we are going to remain in this division.

Cheers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 25 2006,12:42)]Why are people so sure the commercial department haven't approached every team in the Premier League, Seria A and La Liga?

I would rather the commercial department put their efforts into trying to attract and retain new supporters because ultimately the extra revenue is vital if we are going to remain in this division.

Cheers.
That's all fair enough, but why are the club acting like they never said anything about a Centenary match in the frist place?

Sorry I just dont believe the club, I dont think they have really tried to get anything organised. But I believe this should now be taken out of the hands of the club. Its my belief that the Supporters club or whatever they are called. Should organise an evening, celebrating 100 years of southend united this side of christmas, and invite along 100 stars from southends past, come on its easy, all of us who post on here know southend players personally, and then lay on some grub and a few speeches, and have some prizes, any profit goes to charity, it could be big, i noticed in the swansea programme, last season they were organising an evening to celebrate winning promotion 25 years ago

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ July 25 2006,14:02)]Sorry I just dont believe the club, I dont think they have really tried to get anything organised. But I believe this should now be taken out of the hands of the club. Its my belief that the Supporters club or whatever they are called. Should organise an evening, celebrating 100 years of southend united this side of christmas, and invite along 100 stars from southends past, come on its easy, all of us who post on here know southend players personally, and then lay on some grub and a few speeches, and have some prizes, any profit goes to charity, it could be big, i noticed in the swansea programme, last season they were organising an evening to celebrate winning promotion 25 years ago
Sounds like a great idea. I know it's a lot of work for people who aren't paid to run our football club but it would be quality.

Just keep Matt the Shrimp and Jeroen Boere apart

[b said:
Quote[/b] (General Easterly @ July 25 2006,12:59)]According to the last liason meeting minutes SUFC did indeed approach every Premiership club but apparently only Pompey were interested.

I know were not the worlds greatest draw but surely if Huddersfield can manage to get Real Sociedad, Plymouth managed to arrange a friendly with Real Madrid (alright I know the circumstances) and Wrexham can manage to arrange yet another friendly with Liverpool we can manage someone else.

Did the club even think of talking to our first international opponents, who commemorate the match in THEIR museum - Hertha Berlin. I doubt it.

MEMO TO CLUB : THE 125th ANNIVERSARY IS IN 2031 - I EXPECT TO SEE NOTHING LESS THAN REAL MADRID OR BRAZIL FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY GAME. GOT THAT. RIGHT - THERE'S ENOUGH TIME TO ORGANISE IT!!!!
And Stevenage have managed to get Tottenham tomorrow for a friendly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 25 2006,14:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (General Easterly @ July 25 2006,12:59)]According to the last liason meeting minutes SUFC did indeed approach every Premiership club but apparently only Pompey were interested.

I know were not the worlds greatest draw but surely if Huddersfield can manage to get Real Sociedad, Plymouth managed to arrange a friendly with Real Madrid (alright I know the circumstances) and Wrexham can manage to arrange yet another friendly with Liverpool we can manage someone else.

Did the club even think of talking to our first international opponents, who commemorate the match in THEIR museum - Hertha Berlin. I doubt it.

MEMO TO CLUB : THE 125th ANNIVERSARY IS IN 2031 - I EXPECT TO SEE NOTHING LESS THAN REAL MADRID OR BRAZIL FOR OUR ANNIVERSARY GAME. GOT THAT. RIGHT - THERE'S ENOUGH TIME TO ORGANISE IT!!!!
And Stevenage have managed to get Tottenham tomorrow for a friendly.
Thats part of the deal that allowed Spurs to use their stadium for reserve matches. Its an annual game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And Stevenage have managed to get Tottenham tomorrow for a friendly

and so did we a couple of seasons ago when their youth team turned up and thrashed our first team!  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 25 2006,14:12)]And Stevenage have managed to get Tottenham tomorrow for a friendly.
Tonight in fact. Colleague of mine has just ****ed off early to go and watch it.

Much the same as I will be doing tomorrow for the Pompey game....

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and so did we a couple of seasons ago when their youth team turned up and thrashed our first team!

Arrgghh! I remeber that ..... its was horrible to watch this game, but to be fair, we got loads of cr@p player playing for SUFC that time, how far we come since then!?

The Trust arranged a centenary match with a national side, but the club didn't want to know!

I like TMWLT's idea. I have numbers for a few players...

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ July 25 2006,17:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 25 2006,17:27)]The Trust arranged a centenary match with a national side, but the club didn't want to know!
Who? Or can you not say
rock.gif
ghostface.gif
The Trust didn't 'arrange' as such the match you are referring to. They acted more as the middleman between the two parties but for various reasons which I won't go into the the idea wasn't taken any further by the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ July 25 2006,12:42)]Why are people so sure the commercial department haven't approached every team in the Premier League, Seria A and La Liga?

I would rather the commercial department put their efforts into trying to attract and retain new supporters because ultimately the extra revenue  is vital if we are going to remain in this division.

Cheers.
why not play us against juventus. after all we are a championship club and we are in a bigger league than seria b.

On that note, if only the Anglo-Italian Cup was still running....

A couple of days in Turin or Rome, anyone?

Its been said before, but if this does prove to be the centenary match is nothing short of an absolutely shocking shambles.

To begin with, a Club we would've been playing this season if it weren't for the money of an heir to fortune isn't in my books deemed glamorous. But that isn't the worst of the affair, as i can understand the club may have had problems pulling in a glamorous club as they may be on tours of their own in foreign countries or cautious of injuries etc etc.
The real problem is how its been dealt by the club. the centenary match, IMO, should be the centrefold of the celebration. Yet nothing has been announced formally by the club since the initial idea was proposed. If the Pompey game turns out to be the centenary match, the public will be none the wiser and i don't expect any more than 4,000 to turn out tomorrow night.

Where are the adverts? Where are the banners? Wheres the statement on the OS for gods sake? its almost as if we're ashamed to be celebrating our 100th year as a football club
sad.gif

Rant Over.

[b said:

Huddersfield were the first team to win the League three times in a row so are reasonably still a big side and Liverpool and Wrexham are not that fair away from each other

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back