• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My only visit to Ayresome Park was a midweek game, which we lost 1-0.

15th March 1994, to be precise.

I missed the only goal, as I was using the public convenience at the time! :'(

My only visit to Ayresome Park was a midweek game, which we lost 1-0.

15th March 1994, to be precise.

I missed the only goal, as I was using the public convenience at the time! :'(
Foolish toilet choice ,A T! It would have been much quicker to use one of the club's conveniences as they would all have been inside the ground.

If that was the game v Bradford we won 5-0 then I was there. Was also at the Workington one, we won 7-0 and Eddie Clayton made his home debut. Crowd was around 13,000, I think?.
Cant recall that one v Southport, but know for a fact, I printed the programmes!. Used to have an average print run of 3-4,000 depending on the opposition.

Look at the crowd in West/North corner on the cover of the Workington programme in 68!!

I think this was the game with the massive long range Eddie Clayton headed goal which sticks in my memory?

First game I went to.

It was 7-0 that night. Good crowd as well...13,871.

Ha! I remember that Workington game.My younger brother and I took RobNoxius to what was also his first game at RH,IIRC.

Foolish toilet choice ,A T! It would have been much quicker to use one of the club's conveniences as they would all have been inside the ground.

LOL .. I couldn't think how to say that without using the word bog or suchlike and, unfortunately, by word association "convenience" always seems to go with "public"

After two disappointing defeats I think it is right to raise a smile.
What on earth was this about? Any guesses where we finished in the table wearing them
"Play with pride lads" - the players look around the dressing room. Pride?????
PA-203028.jpg

After two disappointing defeats I think it is right to raise a smile.
What on earth was this about? Any guesses where we finished in the table wearing them
"Play with pride lads" - the players look around the dressing room. Pride?????
PA-203028.jpg

In this kit we finished 24th in Division One, so relegated in 1996/97 season under Ronnie Whelan. And then same kit same position 24th in League Two and relegated in 1997/98 season under Alvin Martin. So unluckiest kit ever, or more likely our Two worst Managers with some very poor players.
If ShrimperZone was alive, it would have gone into meltdown over a double relegation, Lol.
Kids of ta day, doont know ow lucky day ar.

Yes. We came bottom and then relegated again... We were poor and the management...not great.
However, each manager was unable to try the "play for the shirt" line .....or maybe they did? Thus 24th.

In this kit we finished 24th in Division One, so relegated in 1996/97 season under Ronnie Whelan. And then same kit same position 24th in League Two and relegated in 1997/98 season under Alvin Martin. So unluckiest kit ever, or more likely our Two worst Managers with some very poor players.
If ShrimperZone was alive, it would have gone into meltdown over a double relegation, Lol.
Kids of ta day, doont know ow lucky day ar.

oh, i remember this football kit, it has very bad MOJO, very bad MOJO, yes relegation, i hated this kit with a passion, (even though i still have it as my little football man hanging of my Vans window screen).

No No No nooooooooo, very bad, keep it well away from the club.

On a positive note, the only good thing about Ronnie Whelan, was his name, ronnie whelan, and the first goal he scored for SUFC, if you remember from a free kick into the south stand goal, pure class, was in south upper, when i saw it go in.

Snr.

I don't put too many Southend losses on this thread, but I think this one is worth it just to see the North Bank celebrate a goal. Palace had a very strong side anyway.
6th April 1994.

Last edited:
the NORTH BANK,what a great sight.How can anybody not want that back!!

I remember back in 1972 when Southend played Chelsea in the old League Cup , ex Southend star Chico Hamilton who was playing for Aston Villa at the time said , The Southend North Bank was an extra player and he would know .

Those Chelsea(LC),Villa (FA),QPR(FA)...wow what games... and as you wrote Os...the NORTH BANK was never better...great days,memories..
Shame we did not have tv at those games..then people would have seen the "PAK" in full "swing"

Back