• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I thought there might be a couple more examples. The '72 Wrexham game was just before I started going regularly.

I'd forgotten about that play-off match in 2005.

From a fading memory, I think the Dover match might have been an idea to not clash with Christmas shopping and was before the days when you could move an FA Cup tie to a Friday night.

Can't think of another reason for the move.

Memory a bit hazy,but back in the day(60s?) we had a couple of Saturday evening kick-offs (ShrewsburyBournemouth?)so as not to clash with the afternoon carnival.

On that Dover match, I had a quick look back at that season's matches.

The crowd that night was greater than the Boxing Day home game a week or so later, against Colchester United.

Just goes to show how much the FA Cup used to mean, then.

I remember Foggon turning up at Huddersfield on Boxing Day completely plastered. Dave Smith put him back in the taxi he'd arrived in and told him to go home. Complete waste of space.

Who remembers playing these?

Southend-United-v-Bradford-Park-Avenue-Football-Programme.jpg

40838.jpg

SOUTHEND-UNITED-v-SOUTHPORT.jpg

Bradford Park Avenue dropped out of the League in 1970 and went into liquidation in 1974. They have since reformed starting at the bottom.
In 1974 and 1975 Workington finished second from bottom, and in 1976 they finished bottom. In 1977 the club won only four games, and again finished bottom of the league with attendances falling well below the 1,000-mark. This poor run led to the club being voted out of the League in summer 1977, replaced by Wimbledon. Workington currently play in the Northern Premier League, Premier Division.
As for Southport, Disaster struck in 1978, when the club was voted out of the Football League following three consecutive 23rd (out of 24) placed finishes, and was replaced by Wigan Athletic. The voting couldn't have been tighter, as the clubs drew on the first ballot (when many had expected Rochdale to be voted out), but Wigan's superior canvassing ensured that they won the second ballot. Southport was the last club to leave the Football League through the re-election process. Automatic relegation from the Fourth Division was introduced in 1986–87.

Last edited:
If that was the game v Bradford we won 5-0 then I was there. Was also at the Workington one, we won 7-0 and Eddie Clayton made his home debut. Crowd was around 13,000, I think?.
Cant recall that one v Southport, but know for a fact, I printed the programmes!. Used to have an average print run of 3-4,000 depending on the opposition.

If that was the game v Bradford we won 5-0 then I was there. Was also at the Workington one, we won 7-0 and Eddie Clayton made his home debut. Crowd was around 13,000, I think?.
Cant recall that one v Southport, but know for a fact, I printed the programmes!. Used to have an average print run of 3-4,000 depending on the opposition.

T, it was Southend 3 Southport 2 in front of 3,239. Moody 2, one a penalty, D.Parker the other.

Look at the crowd in West/North corner on the cover of the Workington programme in 68!!

I was thinking the same.

The previous match was a Friday against Darlington on 15th March 1968. 2-2 draw.

I guess it's taken at that match. Great action shot, that.

Crowd was 10,586 for that one.

The Bradford Park Avenue programme shown was from 1969-70 a match that ended in a 1-1 draw with Mike Beesley scoring in the first half and former England International Ray Charnley(1 cap) equalising for B.P.A. the attendance was 5.891. The return fixture was played in January 1970 with Bradford winning 1-0 this was our only defeat against them in the 4th.Division and our last ever match against them as they lost their league status at the end of that season being replaced by Cambridge United. The 5-0 result was in 1968-69 with goals from Billy Best(2), Gary Moore(2) & John Baber. Our record against Bradford Park Avenue from the 1966-67 season our first in the 4th.Division until 1968-69 was played 6 won 6 scoring 17 with 2 against. Although Bradford Park Avenue took three points off us in 1969-70 it was not enough to keep them in the football league.

Middlesbrough at their old Ayresome Park ground. Some good action with a lucky draw. Tilly should have won it for us right at the end.

Last edited:
Memory a bit hazy,but back in the day(60s?) we had a couple of Saturday evening kick-offs (ShrewsburyBournemouth?)so as not to clash with the afternoon carnival.

Definitely Shrewsbury (1964) and probably Bournemouth the year before.

Back