• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New York

The best city in the world so staying anywhere is ok with me - have a great time Pubey. We were there in the Summer and stayed at the The James in SoHo which I would 100% recommend.

I was there a little while ago on business and stayed at the Milford Plaza. Couldn't get another hotel believe it or not due to the tribeca Film Festival being on and everything else being either silly money or booked up. It was pretty good for the money, quite centrally located at the back of Times Square so not far from the action.

Enjoy it, wherever you stay, you'll have a great time.

Jumeriah Essex House mother ****ers. Eat my poshness :dim:

Wasn't overawed by NYC to be honest, I expected so much was a little disappointed.

Really? It was everything I hoped for and more! Loved every second and can't wait to go back in 2012.

Bah,humbug :scrooge: Stayed there twice in '73 and haven't felt any urgent need to return.Although to be fair we nearly made a family visit there last summer but wisely chose Russia instead.:Worthy:

Really? It was everything I hoped for and more! Loved every second and can't wait to go back in 2012.

I loved it too and would be really keen to back in autumn/spring (we went in January, when it was about -10c).

Anyone fancy babysitting my twins for a week?

I visited last December as one of my sons lives in Manhattan. That made things easy, as he knows the subway system like the back of his hand, and also where to take 'short cuts' and the restaurants which are not a tourist rip off. Must admit to feeling safer walking around at night throughout the city, than at Southend!.

Cheers for the help guys, booked the Manhattan Bridge Comfort Inn, in Chinatown. Looks good, and in a good location!

Now to sort out Knicks tickets!!:smile:

That's what I think would be ideal. Times Square is just pony and we never left Manhattan.

My friend and Billy Bests boot laces' son are one in the same.

There is a lot to do in Manhattan - and we only left to visit people in Yonkers and Wapinger Falls - but next time I'll be going further afield.

However equally it is worth popping in in the 'biggies' like Time Square.

My friend and Billy Bests boot laces' son are one in the same.

There is a lot to do in Manhattan - and we only left to visit people in Yonkers and Wapinger Falls - but next time I'll be going further afield.

However equally it is worth popping in in the 'biggies' like Time Square.

I doubt I'll ever return to NYC. I fancy going to some Southern states, checking out Gracelands and New Orleans as I've "done" the West Coast.

I doubt I'll ever return to NYC. I fancy going to some Southern states, checking out Gracelands and New Orleans as I've "done" the West Coast.

New Orleans is wonderful.When I visited Gracelands in 1973(with RitchieC)Elvis was still alive(and away in Las Vegas,we just missed seeing him there too, a few weeks later).:cricko:
Georgia,Tennessee,Alabama and Mississippi all have their charms too.

I want to see more of the US too.... Gav wants to do Kentucky (?) and to take me to see his pals in N Carolina. One day I'd love to do old Route 66 particularly the bit featured in my fav book The Grapes of Wrath.

Funnily enough I was in Manhattan for the day yesterday as I had a 13 hour lay-over on the way back from Vegas.

It was cold. -7c. New York gets some crazy weather extremes.

Funnily enough I was in Manhattan for the day yesterday as I had a 13 hour lay-over on the way back from Vegas.

It was cold. -7c. New York gets some crazy weather extremes.

Wreckless Eric (Goulden) was only saying today how cold it is in NY State currently.

Yesterday wasnt nice -- espiecally with the wind, even the hardened NY'ers were complaining. It does get cold though.... i remember when i first moved here and the weather on the news said it was going to be 9 degrees out and i thought that wasnt too bad for January.... until i remembered they work in F's not C's..... not pleasant.....

Bah,humbug :scrooge: Stayed there twice in '73 and haven't felt any urgent need to return.Although to be fair we nearly made a family visit there last summer but wisely chose Russia instead.:Worthy:

There you have it. The best city in the world. Fantastic. What do you need to see. Answer everything.
My advice though is get a New York City card. It gets you free entry in to so much. Take the open top buses to get a feel of whaere everything is. High lights . Everything but
Grand Central Terminus - unbeleiveable
The Rockefeller centre. All of it an art deco delight. Go to the top. See a show at Radio City Musisc Hall.
Guggenheim, New York Met Museum, New York City Library (Winnie the Pooh is there) and Bryant Park. All the non modern skyscrapers, the cast iron district, Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Central Park. God I could go on and on. It's truly fantastic.

I probably don't spend enough time in the Pub, the limited time I have is generally spent around the football forum. For what you about to receive some of you may feel that is not a bad idea. I've just noticed that this thread is still up and running and I feel a little guilty, having used it prior to our visit in April 2010, that I never reported back. Thankfully for all of you, in that time my memory for detail has faded a bit, although the images and experiences of those eight days are indelibly printed on my mind. Didn't quite know how to present this but in the end heve decided to treat it, in a series of posts, as a kind of chronical, including some advice and impressions along the way. Perhaps it would be better suited as a blog?
I can't help but be a little impressed and envious of some of you who appear to spend your life globe-trotting, what I'll relate is the experience of an old yokel from Saint Gaudens, who was attracted in wonder to the big lights of the Big Apple and made his first long haul flight. For those who'll find it boring.......well I suppose you don't have to read it, for the others I hope it may include one or two bits of useful information and advice.

Back