• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

national league

In
There are an increasing number of pub teams in the EFL now. The National League table shows Sutton at the top and then five real football clubs immediately beneath them. However whilst the NL has become farcical this season Harrogate, FGR, Fleetwood, Morecambe and others are in the EFL on merit. Stevenage aren't because of what happened to another pub side Macclesfield but that's not going to stop them outplaying us tomorrow.....
Not sure what Sutton United have done to be a non proper team. Formed before Southend United, admittedly they have never crashed out of the Football League like all your "proper" clubs. Their 3G pitch would have to go, of course.

In
Not sure what Sutton United have done to be a non proper team. Formed before Southend United, admittedly they have never crashed out of the Football League like all your "proper" clubs. Their 3G pitch would have to go, of course.

Well, you've answered your own question there.

They should deny promotion to the football league. The NL this season has lost all its integrity.
Didn't the efl want something similar with L2 last season with relegation but no promotion but were told to poke off by the FA?

I think L2 needs to retain relegation so that it maintains it's integrity although you could argue that some teams use of furlough has damaged that a bit anyway, not quite as badly as some NL teams though

Didn't the efl want something similar with L2 last season with relegation but no promotion but were told to poke off by the FA?

I think L2 needs to retain relegation so that it maintains it's integrity although you could argue that some teams use of furlough has damaged that a bit anyway, not quite as badly as some NL teams though

Taking the fact that we are absolutely dog poo and deserve to go down should we finish in the two relegation spots, I still say that being relegated to a league in which teams know they aren’t in any danger of relegation themselves and therefor aren’t likely to go all out to win games leaving those chasing promotion with somewhat dud games.. even if it weren’t us going down it would leave a rather sour taste in my mouth being replaced by a team who haven’t had to earn promotion in the sense over the last few months of the season.

Taking the fact that we are absolutely dog poo and deserve to go down should we finish in the two relegation spots, I still say that being relegated to a league in which teams know they aren’t in any danger of relegation themselves and therefor aren’t likely to go all out to win games leaving those chasing promotion with somewhat dud games.. even if it weren’t us going down it would leave a rather sour taste in my mouth being replaced by a team who haven’t had to earn promotion in the sense over the last few months of the season.
With many NL clubs reportedly in financial trouble I wonder how many will fold.

With many NL clubs reportedly in financial trouble I wonder how many will fold.

Which would be absolutely devastating for those clubs and all those involved with them. It would make our moaning over the last couple of seasons seem almost irrelevant. If a number of clubs did fold though, I’d imagine the national league along with the north and south divisions would have to have something of a shuffle depending on how many teams actually drop out of the competitions. I could quite easily see two leagues forming of equal level with a north/south divide with the the teams finishing first gaining automatic promotion to the football league with a playoff system then between the two leagues to determine the third promoted team.. if of course the EFL agree to having three teams relegated from league two (which on a side note, I’ve never understood the reasoning why four teams are promoted from league two with only two relegated when it’s three and three in the rest of the leagues).

The National League is very low on integrity right now. Not because of the lack of relegation but due to the immense "government-strength" levels of incompetence and duplicity from their Board.
If you were to say because there will be no relegation there should be no promotion either, that would of course be extrapolated to League Two and then League One and then the Championship. Good luck with selling that idea to Norwich City.

In
Correct.
They were managed by Paul Doswell for 11 years until the journey from his home in Winchester got to him.
He worked on a budget that makes MM look like a profligate Guardiola, and still found success.
His legacy is a side two points clear at the top of the NL, and to show their ambition, there is a pot set aside to replace the 3G with grass.
I find it bizarre that anyone finds this worthy of scorn.

I understand how relegation works. My argument is based on two teams getting promoted from a league that half of the teams are playing for nothing.. if playing at all.
Confused.
Those 50% of teams? Do you mean they're playing without wages or meaningful incentive?
As it stands, only Dover have downed tools; therefore 6% (and a decimal point or two) of the league; not 50%.

The National League is very low on integrity right now. Not because of the lack of relegation but due to the immense "government-strength" levels of incompetence and duplicity from their Board.
If you were to say because there will be no relegation there should be no promotion either, that would of course be extrapolated to League Two and then League One and then the Championship. Good luck with selling that idea to Norwich City.

Might it depend on when any decleration of no relegation is made? By declaring half way through the season the NL have removed some motivation from those teams that were in the relaegation battle, thus making it, in theory, easier for the top placed teams to 'earn' promotion. If however the league is mostly completed when any changes to relegation is announced, there can be no accusation that teams in the relegation battle were not trying and hence the integrity of the league can be maintained and Norwich can remain happy.

Correct.
They were managed by Paul Doswell for 11 years until the journey from his home in Winchester got to him.
He worked on a budget that makes MM look like a profligate Guardiola, and still found success.
His legacy is a side two points clear at the top of the NL, and to show their ambition, there is a pot set aside to replace the 3G with grass.
I find it bizarre that anyone finds this worthy of scorn.

i am sure i respect them as i do all non league clubs . ... and big love to all the non league clubs that get into the EFl..

however i am very deeply upset at SUFC losing its football league status and go completey and utterly sort of psycho when people talk about SUFC in the national league ...

and the thought that some people don't mind destroys me

and Sutton United have no football league history and play on a plastic pitch in a hockey stadium so nice though they are i am not exactly in awe -

excuse me for preferring the Stadium of Light and Fratton Park

There are an increasing number of pub teams in the EFL now. The National League table shows Sutton at the top and then five real football clubs immediately beneath them. However whilst the NL has become farcical this season Harrogate, FGR, Fleetwood, Morecambe and others are in the EFL on merit. Stevenage aren't because of what happened to another pub side Macclesfield but that's not going to stop them outplaying us tomorrow.....

I'm with you on pub teams. It's about facilities though, in particular ground capacity and accommodation for away fans.

I think any club coming into the league must be able to provide at least 500 seats for away fans that are under cover. Failing that fewer seats but guaranteed terracing that is under cover. According to Wiki, Sutton have a capacity of 7032 with just 765 seats.

I'm with you on pub teams. It's about facilities though, in particular ground capacity and accommodation for away fans.

I think any club coming into the league must be able to provide at least 500 seats for away fans that are under cover. Failing that fewer seats but guaranteed terracing that is under cover. According to Wiki, Sutton have a capacity of 7032 with just 765 seats.

Yes, I didn't mean the term pub teams to be particularly derogatory, it's just an accepted term for new kids on the block teams with small grounds and no EFL history isn't it? Maybe that's incorrect. There's nothing wrong with pub teams. It's just that I'm an old geezer and I see some long-established football clubs which have spent most of their years in the EFL as "proper" clubs which includes Barrow (although I appreciate that they have spent 53 years in the EFL and 51 years in non-league). As I said many of the pub teams (for want of a better word) are in the EFL on merit and just because Stockport, for example, have an all-seater 10,500 stadium shouldn't disqualify Harrogate, for example, with their 3,800 capacity 500 seat ground. I'd be really pleased if Great Wakering Rovers with their 3000 capacity 250 seat stadium got into the EFL but they'd still be a pub team in my eyes...... no offence to Rovers.

i am sure i respect them as i do all non league clubs . ... and big love to all the non league clubs that get into the EFl..

however i am very deeply upset at SUFC losing its football league status and go completey and utterly sort of psycho when people talk about SUFC in the national league ...

and the thought that some people don't mind destroys me

and Sutton United have no football league history and play on a plastic pitch in a hockey stadium so nice though they are i am not exactly in awe -

excuse me for preferring the Stadium of Light and Fratton Park
OK, first off, Gander Green Lane has never been a first and foremost hockey stadium.
Your fourth paragraph: Sutton have no FL history is what? The thought they don't deserve one?
It's eating me inside too we might lose our FL status. In fact, I can't quite believe it's come to this.
But Sutton is an easier journey than windswept, soulless Stadium of Light (what a misnomer!) Fratton Park never struck me as a great place either, even if both clubs have a long and worthy history.
If you're really saying the thought of playing small clubs is bad; I'm reminded of an arrogant Sunderland fan at Roots Hall who leaned over and said: 'You know, we don't deserve to be in this league. We're too big for it."

Back