• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most over-rated songs in history

Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan cant sing?
Slide Away and Champagne Supernova abysmal?
Verve and Coldplay over-rated?
Lennon and the Beatles?

What planet do you live on?

No way, none of them are over-rated!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (maldonblue @ Jan. 12 2006,18:08)]Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan cant sing?
Bruce Springsteen's a bit crap, Bob Dylan can't sing but his lyrics are pretty sharp so that makes up for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Slide Away and Champagne Supernova abysmal?
Oasis do much better songs than both of these, although I wouldn't say they are abysmal

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Verve and Coldplay over-rated?
The verve are good but Coldplay are the most overrated band ever, and all their songs sound the same - says something that the best song they wrote was recorded by Embrace

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lennon and the Beatles?
I love the Beatles but Imagine by Lennon is syrupy twaddle.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What planet do you live on?
That'll be Earth.

I love music - almost as divisive and emotive a subject as football!
biggrin.gif

As Mike said, music is all about tastes and opinions.

If I were to chip in with my opinion on these choices, i'd be ranting and raving with these posts for days!

Ok, i respect peoples opinions on music and can accept that everybody has different tastes but...

Springsteen is not crap, hes a very talented artist who has sold millions of records all over the globe.

Slide Away is widely regarded as one of Oasis' best songs.

Coldplay are not the most over-rated band ever, try Franz Ferdinand for an over-rated band. Gravity is not the best song they wrote, and im not sure about you but to me Yellow does not sound like Fix You.

While Imagine is not Lennon at his best, it is still an awesome song, performed by an awesome character.

And im glad you live on Earth too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Jan. 12 2006,00:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 11 2006,22:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 11 2006,14:56)]

The soddin' Beatles
How very dare you!

The single greatest popular music act ever...that's why they're in there (however I can name a whole heap of Beatles songs that are better than Hey Jude and Let It Be).
My humble apologies. Andy. **kiss kiss**

But, like comedy, music is very, very personal ... and I fecking hate The Beatles ...

WS
Jávea
....without whom The Jam would never have existed.......

wink.gif

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 12 2006,22:03)]....without whom The Jam would never have existed.......

wink.gif

tounge.gif
That could be argued about most bands since the late 60s. But it doesn't mean I have to like The Beatles ... !!

WS
Jávea

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Jan. 12 2006,21:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 12 2006,22:03)]....without whom The Jam would never have existed.......

wink.gif

tounge.gif
That could be argued about most bands since the late 60s. But it doesn't mean I have to like The Beatles ... !!

WS
Jávea

tounge.gif
However I'd suggest it's reason enough not to hate them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 12 2006,21:03)]....without whom The Jam would never have existed.......

wink.gif

tounge.gif
Of course! The image right down to the choice of guitars and the fact that "Start" blatantly steals from "Taxman" - Weller must have been a huge Beatles fan.

Ive always thought

boom boom boom let me hear you say whelan, whelaaaaaann

was very overated

and thought as soon as I heard it for the first time it was a blatant rip off from a Kris Kross Track

[b said:
Quote[/b] (maldonblue @ Jan. 12 2006,19:30)]Ok, i respect peoples opinions on music and can accept that everybody has different tastes but...

Springsteen is not crap, hes a very talented artist who has sold millions of records all over the globe.

Slide Away is widely regarded as one of Oasis' best songs.

Coldplay are not the most over-rated band ever, try Franz Ferdinand for an over-rated band. Gravity is not the best song they wrote, and im not sure about you but to me Yellow does not sound like Fix You.

While Imagine is not Lennon at his best, it is still an awesome song, performed by an awesome character.

And im glad you live on Earth too.
I stand by my original statements.

I think we'll just have to agree to differ (especially over Coldplay and Imagine - I really, really don't like them / it)....
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Jan. 12 2006,19:09)]The verve are good but Coldplay are the most overrated band ever
suspect.gif
upside.gif

Shurrley shum mishtake?! The Verve aren't fit to do Coldplay's sound-check...

tounge.gif

As for Springsteen / Dylan - don't get me wrong. They're excellent guitarists and lyricists. But I don't think even Dylan would ever accuse himself of being able to sing...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 13 2006,11:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Jan. 12 2006,19:09)]The verve are good but Coldplay are the most overrated band ever
suspect.gif
upside.gif

Shurrley shum mishtake?! The Verve aren't fit to do Coldplay's sound-check...
Both are overblown, pompous, dour, third rate stadium-rock bands and they don't have a single decent song between 'em. There - is that settled now?
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 13 2006,11:47)]There - is that settled now?
No.

tounge.gif

Rather fond of Coldplay, meself. Martin may be a miserable bugger, but "What if?" and "Fix You" are superb pieces of writing, songs that will stand the test of time...

Matt

James Blunt... Utter sh!te

As for how he got into the top ten, even the poor DJ reading out the final 50 was flabbergasted and made it VERY clear he didn't want to be playing that overhyped generic rubbish.

Also anything by Phil Collins (memorably described as Estate Agent Rock)

And Pink Floyd... one of the best bands... in the world... ever!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 13 2006,11:56)]"What if?" and "Fix You" are superb pieces of writing, songs that will stand the test of time...
...and will more than likely replace the likes of Lennon, Pink Floyd, Blunt, Queen and The Eagles at the top of Virgin Radio's '100 greatest songs ever' list in 30 years time which will see our children arguing on this very forum (cos they'll all be SUFC fans of course) about how Coldplay were over-sentimental nonsense and Arcade Fire were much, much better
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 13 2006,12:04)]in 30 years time which will see our children arguing on this very forum (cos they'll all be SUFC fans of course) about how Coldplay were over-sentimental nonsense and Arcade Fire were much, much better
laugh.gif
I love Coldplay, and really like Arcade Fire, and rate them in that order at the moment, but if Arcade Fire can keep it up over 3 albums they'll definately be better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Jan. 12 2006,23:25)]Ive always thought

boom boom boom let me hear you say whelan, whelaaaaaann

was very overated

and thought as soon as I heard it for the first time it was a blatant rip off from a Kris Kross Track
Wasn't that the Outhere Brothers from the 90's?

Back