• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most over-rated songs in history

Without a doubt James Blunt heads this list. he is utter cockney rhyming slang.

With people saying Coldplay, yellow i would tend to disagree as this was their first successful, and only upbeat song. the rest have been absolute depressing sh!te since. how about radiohead too for depressing stuff? (Q magazine said they were 1 and 2 in the list of best albums ever. errr...i think not)

Stairway is an all time classic, any song which is musically fantastic for 7 minutes can't be over-rated, in fact i feel it is under-rated given that you very rarely hear it on the radio

and yes, why does anybody like hard-fi? from what i've heard so far, they are utterly pathetic. and franz ferdinand are heading down the coldplay route of releasing the same album as many times as possible under a different name, before long people will realise and their stint at fame will be over. fingers crossed at least.

I'll opt for James Blunt too.

Anything gangsta rap, lyrics about shooting people and bitches, sh!te music easliy made on cheap software, a bit of self effacing attitude and lyrics intended to shock.It doesn't shock, the music's crap, the songs are fake and the gullible hoodies lap it up.
I don't mind some hip hop with believable lyrics about real things and I like the My humps for some strange reason but in the main these sampled non entities are on the same shelf as Crazy Frog. AK47 them all
suspect.gif
oops.gif

Most overrated (from that Virgin list) is probably The Doors' "Light My Fire", a totally pointless song.  Indeed, The Doors may go down as the most overrated band of all time...

Ahead of there time!!!

Almost anything by Pink Floyd (dirge filled, prog rock bores).

American Pie - just drive your Chevy to the levy and f%&k off!

Anything by Elvis after he'd been in the Army. Before then he was the most vital and exciting thing to happen to popular music...after his stint at the service of Uncle Sam a glorified cabaret act, very sad.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 11 2006,14:56)]

The soddin' Beatles
How very dare you!

The single greatest popular music act ever...that's why they're in there (however I can name a whole heap of Beatles songs that are better than Hey Jude and Let It Be).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. Layla, Derek and the (bloody) Dominoes
Have you heard the extended Album version with the long instrumental at the end?
Its quite good

Some of the early gangsta rap is actually quite decent - Ice T, NWA.

Some of the Doors' stuff was OK but a lot was 6th form pretention

No, the most overrated song is Tchaikovsy's 5th.

I like Hotel California- hell, even the album is way better than a lot of the dirge today, and that includes the self-indulgent heroin chic w%&k of Babyshambles

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 11 2006,22:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 11 2006,14:56)]

The soddin' Beatles
How very dare you!

The single greatest popular music act ever...that's why they're in there (however I can name a whole heap of Beatles songs that are better than Hey Jude and Let It Be).
My humble apologies. Andy. **kiss kiss**

But, like comedy, music is very, very personal ... and I fecking hate The Beatles ...

WS
Jávea

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Jan. 11 2006,22:52)]
[b said:
Have you heard the extended Album version with the long instrumental at the end?
Its quite good
Used to excellent effect in 'Goodfellas' if I remember correctly....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 12 2006,10:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveo @ Jan. 11 2006,22:52)]
[b said:
Its quite good
Used to excellent effect in 'Goodfellas' if I remember correctly....
More to do with Scorcese's excellent use of music rather than the song being anything special, I'm sure you'll agree. I have no interest in doo-wop but the way he used it in 'Mean Streets' is staggering and made me want to go and get some.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 12 2006,10:55)]Its quite good
Used to excellent effect in 'Goodfellas' if I remember correctly....[/quote]
More to do with Scorcese's excellent use of music rather than the song being anything special, I'm sure you'll agree.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely*

*Apologies for the almost shrimp_on_the_wing nature of this post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 11 2006,23:03)]No, the most overrated song is Tchaikovsy's 5th.
rock.gif
tounge.gif

That's a random choice for "overrated" from the world of classical music. For me there is one contender, and one contender only, to be crowned as king of overrated in the classical music world, and that is:

Wagner

suspect.gif
ghostface.gif

Utter, utter, utter tripe. I would prefer to go to the dentist than sit through the Ring Cycle.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 12 2006,11:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Jan. 11 2006,23:03)]No, the most overrated song is Tchaikovsy's 5th.
rock.gif

tounge.gif

Utter, utter, utter tripe.  I would prefer to go to the dentist than sit through the Ring Cycle.

Matt
Sounds like something you get after a dodgy vindaloo.
down.gif

However I must agree the Ring Cycle is utter bilge.

Already mentioned, but I'd like to add my votes for Imagine and Sweet Child Of Mine. A lot of U2 is utter vvank as well. David Bowie - utter utter garbage, ESPECIALLY Ziggy Stardust. Self-indulgent rubbish.

Eminem as well. Hailed for his lyrics to Guilty Conscience and Stan, yet completely pi55ed that up the wall by starting a song with those beautiful words "You can suck my dick if you don't like my sh!t, I was high when I wrote this so suck my dick". Blake would have been proud I'm sure. Now he's not even that articulate, just an End of the Pier entertainer using swear words because he thinks it's funny.

Also, if we're using the literal meaning of under-rated (ie 'it's not as good as people think it is' rather than 'it's fecking rubbish), then I'd like to be controversial and nominate Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division. I love the band, and the track, but they threw away better songs as B-sides.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Song of the South Upper @ Jan. 12 2006,11:49)]Eminem as well. Hailed for his lyrics to Guilty Conscience and Stan, yet completely pi55ed that up the wall by starting a song with those beautiful words "You can suck my dick if you don't like my sh!t, I was high when I wrote this so suck my dick". Blake would have been proud I'm sure. Now he's not even that articulate, just an End of the Pier entertainer using swear words because he thinks it's funny.
I think Eminem is actually a very articulate rapper, who knows his audience...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Jan. 11 2006,15:18)]3) Angels (Robbie Williams) - This song makes me want to kill people whenever I hear it. It really is rubbish (like all his other stuff as well)
Nice to know I'm not the only Angels hater.
biggrin.gif

As for the Virgin's top 500, how the hell has James Blunt made the top 10? If he's in the top 100 next year I'll be surprised.

And how can U2's One be in the top 10? It wouldn't even get in my top 20 U2 tracks.

Back