• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most over-rated songs in history

C C Csiders

Life President
Listening over Xmas to the Virgin Radio top 500 (or was it 1,000) sent in by listeners, it occured to me that many of those songs that made the list, and always seem to make these top 100, 200, 500 etc. lists are IMO grossly over-rated.

As my starter for 10, and sticking my head above the parapet (correct spelling?) my top 3 in the most over-rated song of all time list are:

1. Layla, Derek and the (bloody) Dominoes
2. Summer of '69, Bryan Adams
3. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen

Hotel California - The Eagles
Don't look back in anger - Oasis

Both of these make me want to hand out a punishment beating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 11 2006,14:26)]Hotel California - The Eagles
Don't look back in anger - Oasis

Both of these make me want to hand out a punishment beating.
Bohemian Rhapsody .... by a country mile !!

Anything by Phil Collins

Don't you want me - Human League

Album wise, Tubular Bells, A Night at the Opera and Sgt Peppers

1) Hey Jude - The Beatles
2) Hotel California - The Eagles
3) The Drugs Don't Work - The Verve

Xfm also did a list over Christmas and New Year, a 'Top 104' (as in 104.9FM). Some song by Muse won it
wow.gif

Anything by The Kaiser Chiefs... Group of talentless nobodies from Leeds who are successful for being "different", except now there are thousands of bands exactly like that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 11 2006,14:31)]Bohemian  Rhapsody .... by a country mile !!

Anything by Phil Collins

Don't you want me - Human League

Album wise, Tubular Bells, A Night at the Opera and Sgt Peppers
Bohemian Papsody is in my top 3. I always think of this as Freddie Mercury's very poor attempt at replicating Stairway to Heaven. The slow ballad start, the guitar instrumental, and the rock finale, all more or less replicate the order of the Led Zep classic.

Phil Collins should be beaten on a daily basis - but happily, unless you listen to Magic FM his songs don't tend to make top 100 etc. lists.

Album wise, all I can say to your list is Yes, Yes, and Yes again seroiusly awful stuff.

A Night at the Opera is like listening to the Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, but only not as good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 11 2006,14:39)]Bohemian Papsody is in my top 3. I always think of this as Freddie Mercury's very poor attempt at replicating Stairway to Heaven. The slow ballad start, the guitar instrumental, and the rock finale, all more or less replicate the order of the Led Zep classic.

Phil Collins should be beaten on a daily basis - but happily, unless you listen to Magic FM his songs don't tend to make top 100 etc. lists.

Album wise, all I can say to your list is Yes, Yes, and Yes again seroiusly awful stuff.

A Night at the Opera is like listening to the Bonzo Dog Dooh Dah Band, but only not as good.
If I was doing a top ten of most overrated songs, 'Stairway' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' would certainly be in there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Uxbridge Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2006,14:35)]1) Hey Jude - The Beatles
2) Hotel California - The Eagles
3) The Drugs Don't Work - The Verve

Xfm also did a list over Christmas and New Year, a 'Top 104' (as in 104.9FM). Some song by Muse won it
wow.gif
First two definitely yes, the third - sacrilege!
wow.gif

I have a sneaking feeling that Vienna may crop up in some peoples lists.....

Personally I love it.....

I concur with Stairway as well (but then I never liked Led Zep)

I tend to agree with 'Bohemian Rhapsody' - I think it's a great record but it doesn't deserve to top every poll for best single ever. 'Hotel California' is another good call - The Eagles are one my most hated bands ever. 'Summer of 69' is undoubtedly a vile record but overrated? I'm not sure - is it regarded as a classic by some poor fools then?

My top 3;

Oasis - Slide Away/Supersonic/Champagne Supernova (take your pick, they're all abysmal)
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony (rip-off song, atrocious band)
Coldplay - Yellow (is there a duller band on the planet right now?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 11 2006,14:46)]The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony (rip-off song, atrocious band)
The orchestral bit on that song is cracking...but of course The Verve had nothing to do with that!

Heard Ashcroft do an acoustic version of BSS at Brixton last month and it was rubbish.

Here is the Top 500 Virgin Radio list, and we have covered a good deal of the top 20 already. It is a rubbish list.

Virgin Radio Top 500

The soddin' Beatles and Die Polizei - what's that all about in the top 20.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Jan. 11 2006,14:46)]'Summer of 69' is undoubtedly a vile record but overrated? I'm not sure - is it regarded as a classic by some poor fools then?
Always seem to make these lists - so someone out there must like it. 156 in the Virgin Radio top 500.

1) Imagine (John Lennon) - This song is just terrible, the lyrics drive me crazy as they are so sickly it's unreal.

2) Champagne Supernova (Oasis) - This song is 4 minutes too long and is basically a bit crap - Oasis have done much better.

3) Angels (Robbie Williams) - This song makes me want to kill people whenever I hear it. It really is rubbish (like all his other stuff as well)

1. Anything by Kaiser Chiefs
2. Anything by Hard-Fi
3. Wonderwall - Oasis

All utter sh!te.

What I have failed to grasp in recent weeks is how James Blunt continues to cruise along at the top of the album charts, when he clearly has the most annoying voice of all time and when all his songs are the same.

It is, in short, driving me nuts...  Oi, Blunt.... NO!!!!

ghostface.gif

Most overrated (from that Virgin list) is probably The Doors' "Light My Fire", a totally pointless song.  Indeed, The Doors may go down as the most overrated band of all time... that they made the Top 30 of Virgin's list is beyond comprehension.  Oh, and if you want to hear how that song should have been sung, you should check out Minne Riperton's version, which is a hundred times better.

Other overrated stuff on that list:

1. Imagine - John Lennon (dull, dull, dull)
2. Led Zep - Stairway (musical onanism)
3. James Blunt - You're Beautiful (I despair... I really, really f***ing despair)
4. Guns'N'Roses - Sweet Child of Mine (controversial, perhaps, but the only one in that band with any talent was Slash; Rose, on the other hand, was a nasally, whining knob-jockey)
5. Bruce Springsteen - anything by him (The Boss?  My @rse.  Can't sing, for starters.  Nor can Dylan, but at least his lyrics were thought-provoking)

Good call with the Verve, too.  How that awful dirge made the top 50, and (say) something like Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack didn't, defies understanding.

Matt

I really like Bohemian Rhapsody as it brings back so many great memories of being drunk but agreed it shouldn't top every poll going.

My most over rated award goes to Coldplay. I just don't get it?!

Well done to the lad for pulling Gwyneth but as for his music sh!te!

I thought James Blunt's new song sounded like Annie Lennox.

Back