• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question McCormack and Laurent

Do you have an addiction to namedropping OBL? Is there anyone you havent seen after a game or spoken to on facebook???!

Plenty, can't help the fact that Jeff and Franny were hanging around for ages and I was helping out with setting up the Trust Quiz. Went and moved my car up from the Chase and they were still both there so confirmed they wanted to come into school again - no problems, it was me Franny made a beeline to at Wycombe the other week. They're good boys, can't help being motherly.

I'd have given the little paddy a pasting in training if he spoke to me like that in front of thousands of fans. It's all about confidence and you get that by people encouraging. We have a small squad, we don't need a big gob upsetting players that we struggle to replace. It doesn't matter Kay that he does the encouraging and directing as well, there's no need to hand out bollockings.

You don't see Tilly doing it. Never in public.

mods

is that first line not a racist comment???

200k for macca, Im sure RM would have taken it too, if Millwall bid anywhere near that amount if you honestly believe millwall came knocking at the door with 200k

It's not the first time as you say, and there have been several occasions recently where Franny has NOT passed to Macca when he's been in a great position. I have no idea what's going on, perhaps Franny ONLY looks for the strikers - or Jeff or Moussa (who he does pass to) but I think it is something they have to look at on the training ground. Macca has been getting forward a lot and been in some fantastic shooting positions but the ball rarely comes to him.

Now I know you'll all say that's cos he can't shoot for toffee, but we do know that's not quite true, and I think the little man would be a lot less volatile for sticking a few goals away - frustration and all that, I'm sure a lot of us can identify with that.

......wish the little scuffer would hurry up and get that yellow that everybody wants so allowing a proper player to take his place for good!

I wish tilly had the balls to drop macca for his awful performance yesterday but i doubt he will.

stop :net:

On your basis of argument we should make 11 changes for tomorrow (yes i know we can't as we don't have 11 replacements)

So it appears Macca and Laurent have had a little tiff, both on the pitch and apparently at Boots and Laces. Unfortunately they are OBLs two favourite players, having met them numerous times at matches and other SUFC events.. and how could she possibly side with one over the other.

The only way to resolve this is through Boxing!

McCormack vs Laurent
The Roots Hall Rumble!

The tale of the tape:

Alan_McCormack_Meet_the_blues_day_2009.jpg

Name: Alan "Macca" McCormack
Nationality: Irish
Height: 5ft 7
Reach: to the top shelf
Gym: Mayhem - Southend
Star sign: Capricorn (like OBL)
Favourite occasion with OBL: When he first caught her going through his bins
History: 65 fights, 47 knockouts, 2 defeats by way of knockout (N. Bailey and D. Scannell)

Francis_Laurent_Meet_the_blues_day_2009.jpg

Name: Francis "Franny" Laurent
Nationality: French
Height: 6ft 3
Reach: 76cm
Gym: Paris restaurant - Chalkwell
Star sign: Capricorn (like OBL)!!
Favourite occasion with OBL: When he went and found her at Wycombe. or when he went to her school to learn some stuff
History: 13 fights, 8 knockouts, 1 defeat by way of shouting (A. McCormack)​

Last edited:
It annoys me that Macca has to get suspended to be dropped - thankfully suspensions are never a million miles away with him (Macca) and he's bound to get a yellow on tuesday.

Just thought I'd add my opinion. Macca a couple of seasons back was my favourite player, a fiery tough tackler who always gave 110% for the cause, the positivity he brought to the club when on form was unquestionnable. However from last season onwards he seems to have been on a downwards spiral, his aggression has turned to our own players (was ranting and swearing at Laurent 10 mins into the Barnet friendly too) most of the time his passing is lazy and wayward often needlessly gifting possession to to the opposition, I still think he fits into our team but at the moment the best thing for him and the club is a spell on the bench, if he can grow up enough to handle it. Also Maccormack being our captain is laughable.

Didn't Macca get knocked out by Scannell last year? hence why his nickname is Tyson around the club. I'm sure this was in the Echo with an interview with Macca. I agree with the above comment about Macca 2 years ago was sublime. Driving forward making darting runs, now he wants to play like Maher but just with an ounce of the ability that Maher had. It is time for a rest me thinks, give someone who has some positivity a go!

my take is this,

Macca is my mate and my favourite southend player, he knows when hes **** he knows when hes good, regardless of my high regards for him, I dont hink he has been effective this year as he previously has been. The reason why your all so upset with him is that he actually is a damned good player and by not perforing to this level leaves us all frustrated. Personally speaking our midfield is a meer shadow of that of 2-3 seasons ago, and you lot that think im wrong will be in the cucckooo house long before me. I still rate macca and I know hes as frustrated as many of you about his performances he is a player that will always wear his heart on his sleave and I do know FACT that he was absolutely made up when he was made vise captain last year, footballs all about playing your strongest 11 hes a pro he knows hes playing for his position, personnally I dont feel we are in a strong enough position squad wise to be playing sawyer, as we are such a fragile unit and there needs to be some sort of strong head, but I strongly believe we should be looking to field our strongest 11 and if thats not with what we have got then we should go and get someone who can make the difference, anyway even if he had his legs cut off on a saturday night and still played on the tuesday I now he would be giving his all and as long as he is giving his all then we cant ask for anymore,it falls in the managers eyes to pick the team

Agree with all that.

When Macca is on form he is a managers dream , as he pushes the team forward and a little bit of fight and aggression gets the other team mates buzzing and it really does help , the influence just flows through the side .

Unfortunatly when he's not on form he is a poor player at best , as not only is his passing off , but his whole demineer goes with it and it rubs off on teh yuonger players , I have no doubt that a lot of the younger players look up to him and he needs to know who he can't shout at and who he needs to put an arm around .

I'm skipper of my side and i know that i can call certain players a **** and it will spur then on , i also know if i use the same tactics on say 4 of the other players it will crumble their confidence ,he should by now of learnt that .

The boy is not irreplacable and he needs to get his head down and start influencing by his actions on the pitch and not by his words otherwise he will undoubtedly be a bench warmer for us .

Back