• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I challenge you to name one winger we have had in the past say ten years who can come even close to Mark Gower's level of abilties?

Depends what abilities you speak of?

Your speaking about Gowers ability to pick a pass and finish fantastically then i would have to be honest and say none. But as good as Gower is at those things he has a very poor workrate doesnt tackle or track back.

Incidentally i dont what year Ricky otto left blues (10 years?) but he was twice the player Gower was.

If your speaking trickery workrate and tenacity then i would say JCR was better in those departments and has commanded more interest and money in transfers than Marky G ever will.

Over all we have lost a good player over the last few years. Can he be replaced? Of course he can.

Your speaking about Gowers ability to pick a pass and finish fantastically then i would have to be honest and say none. But as good as Gower is at those things he has a very poor workrate doesnt tackle or track back.

Incidentally i dont what year Ricky otto left blues (10 years?) but he was twice the player Gower was.

If your speaking trickery workrate and tenacity then i would say JCR was better in those departments and has commanded more interest and money in transfers than Marky G ever will.

Over all we have lost a good player over the last few years. Can he be replaced? Of course he can.

Fair point Tommy but I was talking really as you said about his creativity, ability to pick a man out from distance, skill and goalscoring.

Yeah he has just signed a long term contract with us, copy and paste this butty......

http://www.swanseacity.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10354~1335306,00.html

Mate, you're wasting your time coming on here gloating. There's probably not one Southend fan that isn't upset that he's gone. But, by the same token we're all happy for him that he's managed to get back into The Championship where we reckon he belongs.

To quote Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding from The Shawshank Redemption:-

"Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged, that's all. Their feathers are just too bright..and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice...but still, the place you live is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

Everyone wishes Mark well for the future...

Shame we couldnt get money for him really. Think it was the best move for him as I think Blackpool will be back down. Good Luck to him ..

Can't believe we never got any money for Gower and Swansea signed him on a free.

Why is this? He still had a year left on his contract didn't he?

Bit harsh on the latter point. Gower did struggle in this department early on, partly due to his wayward fitness, but his workrate improved dramatically in his final two seasons at the club.

I admire your confidence and I hope you're right. But I have to say, I have my doubts. For me, one of Gower's best qualities was his willingness to demand the ball at all times, even when he was having a stinker. Wingers are notorious for hiding when the going gets tough - just look at Mitch Cole and, most recently, Tommy Black - but Gower was always keen to get involved and come infield if he was becoming too isolated on the wing. We'd do well to find another winger who possesses those attributes as well as the willingness to take players on, score regularly and open up defences.

He's been talked to for the last 3/4 months... he just knew that if we failed to go up better money was on offer else where, and IMO the club were right to give him a deadline of the weekend to make up his mind.

I'll look on the bright side of this one... Maybe now we can get a good player 95% of the time instead of a fantastic player 50% of the time.

Well stated and fully agree. Maybe the 50 percent has been dwindling as with the occasions he could play at full tilt for 90 mins and we have seen the best of him.

Has been a good servant and wish him the best, he may even be re-vitalised and motivated by the move.

Bit harsh on the latter point. Gower did struggle in this department early on, partly due to his wayward fitness, but his workrate improved dramatically in his final two seasons at the club.

I admire your confidence and I hope you're right. But I have to say, I have my doubts. For me, one of Gower's best qualities was his willingness to demand the ball at all times, even when he was having a stinker. Wingers are notorious for hiding when the going gets tough - just look at Mitch Cole and, most recently, Tommy Black - but Gower was always keen to get involved and come infield if he was becoming too isolated on the wing. We'd do well to find another winger who possesses those attributes as well as the willingness to take players on, score regularly and open up defences.

Many would agree with both posting and replies.

DG was and is a creative enigma, infuriating at times but often superb. Just not worth massively breaking our necessary wage structure in Div 1 and having possible adverse, knock-on effects & impacting upon team spirit.

The morale of the whole squad/unit should be of over-riding importance than any individual player.

Back