• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

the point about unpaid wages that it broke the team spirit cos evry player had to sort out where they were going to be this season 2011 -

they all had to start finding a new employer from about Feb 2010 - no choice -

when you are owed say 40k by a "unreliable" businessman - you have to find some-one else to work for ... .... and then its a 50 -50 against some pyscho from Tranmere and you have to put your foot in - career on the line - is the unreleable busimessman even paying insurance ?

i thought it was a credit to the professionalism of the players that they kept playing and didn;t whinge to the papers -

RM knew exactly what he was doing - he wanted Tilson out and wanted to go down to Lge 2 -

get over it

the point about unpaid wages that it broke the team spirit cos evry player had to sort out where they were going to be this season 2011 -

they all had to start finding a new employer from about Feb 2010 - no choice - Disagree. There is always a choice otherwise Grant, Herd, Paterson, Spencer and Crawford would have gone as well.

when you are owed say 40k by a "unreliable" businessman - you have to find some-one else to work for ... .... and then its a 50 -50 against some pyscho from Tranmere and you have to put your foot in - career on the line - is the unreleable busimessman even paying insurance ? Do you really think a pro footballer even considers that? They are doing a job that any football loving kid would love to do. As I understand it, non payment of wages every so often is an occupational hazard in the lower leagues. Psychos from Tranmere have nothing to do with it.

i thought it was a credit to the professionalism of the players that they kept playing and didn;t whinge to the papers - agree with that bit

RM knew exactly what he was doing - he wanted Tilson out and wanted to go down to Lge 2 -

get over it Ah, that old chestnut. He could have easily done that just by going into administration when he had the chance. Why didn't he do that if that was his aim then? He could have saved himself a fortune.

Comments in bold

Comments in bold - the comment re: players not worrying about inujury or in the example physchos from Tranmere - Forgot it won't quote comments within a quote.

Wrong I'm afraid.

Players do consider getting injured towards the end of the season. Paul Benson wrote an interesting piece on it in The Standard recently. Saying that players of all ages and experience feel the same, that towards the end of the season when your contract is up, you start to worry about tackles and injuries. Because one bad tackle can mean you're out of contract and unemployable by another team due to an injury. He named a couple of youth team players and Christain Dailly to show the varying players that share this concern.

It makes sense, you know you have to look for a new club and are competing against all the other players that are being released, if you go in for a 50/50 and get injured for a couple of months, they'll never pick you. Then you are 2 months behind in training and fitness and finding a club after you've re-gained fitness (alone) when all the wage bufdgets are used up is near on impossible. It's a real fear for players, as highlighted by a player himself.

get over it Ah, that old chestnut. He could have easily done that just by going into administration when he had the chance. Why didn't he do that if that was his aim then? He could have saved himself a fortune.

It does seem like he set out to break up the team prior to removing Tilson. Wonder if Sturrock was in on the plan all along? Administration? That means somebody independent gets to crawl all over the books doesn't it?

Wrong I'm afraid.

Players do consider getting injured towards the end of the season. Paul Benson wrote an interesting piece on it in The Standard recently. Saying that players of all ages and experience feel the same, that towards the end of the season when your contract is up, you start to worry about tackles and injuries. Because one bad tackle can mean you're out of contract and unemployable by another team due to an injury. He named a couple of youth team players and Christain Dailly to show the varying players that share this concern.

It makes sense, you know you have to look for a new club and are competing against all the other players that are being released, if you go in for a 50/50 and get injured for a couple of months, they'll never pick you. Then you are 2 months behind in training and fitness and finding a club after you've re-gained fitness (alone) when all the wage bufdgets are used up is near on impossible. It's a real fear for players, as highlighted by a player himself.

Interesting debate. Was Benson talking about worrying during games as you are going into a tackle or worrying in general?

It does seem like he set out to break up the team prior to removing Tilson. Wonder if Sturrock was in on the plan all along? Administration? That means somebody independent gets to crawl all over the books doesn't it?

But looking back on any event you can make any set of circumstances suit any scenario if you try hard enough.

I'm sure Sturrock was approached befiore Tilly went... that would only be sensible. You don't get rid of a key employee of any business without havng a replacement lined up. But I'm not sure that there was a plan as such.

And why doi you think Martin was trying to break the team up? I don't think it was a question of not wanting to pay them I just don't think he physically could.

'Physically could' conjours all sorts of horrible connotations of 'benefits in kind'.

I'm getting quite worried over the way either my own, FBM's or Ron's mind works. Or perhaps all three.

As someone who know's Johnny, i know that he is very sad to be leaving the club, however felt the need to speak out about how badly he and everyone else was treated at the time. The wage 'crisis' was a hard time for all the players, and Johnny was infact renting his house privatly and was asked to leave because of late payment on more than one occassion.. The wage sitaution was also the reason behind the break up of him and his girlfriend, due to the stress of being unable to pay rent/bills etc. Johnny may not of played fantastic in every game that he played in, but he always tried hard and wanted to do his best for the club, and stuck by the club even through the difficult times. I for one wish him all the best and think Ron Martin is an absolute joke.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back