• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The sad bit in all of this is that if the players had been paid on time each month none of this would have happened. ( Unless any players had financial problems in the first place )

So why did it say in the Echo that he lost his house?

I don't know. Because his words were misconstrued? Or because he's not very good at expressing himself? Perhaps in this sense 'lost his house' means 'kicked out of the house that he was renting'?

I was told he was renting. That's what i'm going with.

Just to play Devils Advocate here...

We don't know that JH lost his house due to non payment of wages. The Echo article is written to imply that, and it may well be the case, but it also may be that Herd split up with his girlfriend and had to move out, or he may have not been great with money and couldn't afford the rent even though his wages may have been paid by the PFA. Also, the landlord may not have renewed his tenancy. "Lost my house" implies that he bought it, couldn't pay the mortgage and the house was repossessed. If that wasn't the case, then it's sensationalist to say the least.

BTW, if Herd did lose his house/have to move out SOLELY because of non payment of wages then it's scandalous.

But if that had been the case I suspect we'd have heard about it in much more detail at the time.

There are many scenarios here and we have no idea which one is correct.

More likely that he rent the place - if he in trouble, why didn't he live with his parents as he is 19 that time and have lot of time to build up a football career - I expect Herd will be playing for Braintree Town in the BSP next season, at least he don't have to move to another club outside Essex and buy a house and got kicked out cos his club end up doing a "plymouth"

I think a lot of you seem to be missing the point. Irrespective of buying or renting, it all boils down to the fact the players were not paid when they should have been.

I think a lot of you seem to be missing the point. Irrespective of buying or renting, it all boils down to the fact the players were not paid when they should have been.

But that's not news though Ken. We know that.

What we DIDN'T know is that JH lost his house and the Echo yesterday reported Herd saying that he lost his house due to the financial problems at the club, which certainly implies that he had a house to lose in the first place and as we can see, the picture is not 100% clear... but some people seem to have already made their judgement.

I know from personal experience that it is VERY difficult to evict a tenant who doesn't want to go, even if the rent is not paid, and it can take several months. I'm far from defending Martin and the club on this, but it's a sad fact of business that sometimes there just isn't enough money to pay the wages and you can't pay them with fresh air. As we have heard, the PFA covered the wages which is more than most people get. We all know the financial and payment problems last year and the discussion and vitriol has been done to death. It seems as though, for some, fans favourite JH losing his house because he didn't get paid is a new stick to beat the club with, which is fair enough IF IT IS TRUE. As I said before, it's scandalous.

That's the bit we don't know and that's the point for me, especially as the thread is specifically about the impact of the non payment of wages on Johnny Herd.

He did not buy or own a house. He rented. He came round to Tilly's house in a panic one day saying that he was on the verge of being evicted for non-payment of rent and Tilly physically went and drew out £400 to help him out.

Thanks for clearing that up. I stand corrected.

He did not buy or own a house. He rented. He came round to Tilly's house in a panic one day saying that he was on the verge of being evicted for non-payment of rent and Tilly physically went and drew out £400 to help him out.

Does this mean he jogged to the cashpoint?

I would like to see a month by month statement from the club of how many staff salary payments as a percentage were on time (players, management & the rest of the staff) over the last 2 years showing which months they have been paid in full by the due date of that month. I think we would all be horrified about the shambles it would reveal. At the same time Ron has managed to find enough money for Caribean holidays, a new Bentley (with chauffeur in tow when required) & any creditor who issues a Winding Up order. It's all about priorities. For me, anyone who can turn up to the club in a new Bentley or be sunning themselves in the lap of luxury while their staff haven't been paid is a complete .......................:thumbdown:

As interesting as it would be to see, the only people that really have the right to that sort of information are shareholders. If you are one, then write to RM and ask him, but make sure you keep it out of the public domain if asked.

Honestly? The players had to have been affiliated, their registration to the Club as a professional Club wasn't enough? That's awful, and now I feel guilty for ever having badmouthed the guy.

No it's not. The PFA is a union. Why should they help out someone who isn't even a member and doesn't pay a subscription? BUT THIS IS ONLY HYPERTHETICAL.

reguardless of what is earned anyone can experiance problems, who thinks the club would of picked up the charges from banks on unpaid billsect, that players (i expect) would of got, so not only they didn't get paid, they were then otta pocket

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back