• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In todays Echo there is a back page article on Johnny Herd, he states that he found it very hard when Paul Sturrock came in as manager and he did not do himself any favours at all with how he played in pre-season. -- 'It was a difficult time for me. Because of the finanicial difficulties there had been the year before I actually ended up losing my house and was very unsettled. My head wasn't right but I don't want to use that as an excuse."

So there we have it :- Our Chairman's Ron Martin's comments to the effect that late payment of wages should not have effected how the old team of professionals played is shown up for what it is. Just a cover up for how he runs the club that we love and his man management.

If this happened to Herd what effect was there on other players when and before we went down? We will never know and it is a private matter. But this leaves a nasty taste and suspician that others suffered deeply as well. Let us hope that this treatment is a thing of the past.

Without wanting to sound callous if he was struggling that bad to pay the mortgage why not just rent it and move in with his folks/friends etc. Still good lad wish him well.

Its says he lost his house, could be that he could not pay the rent , he may not have owned the place.

I thought that the PFA were picking up the unpaid wages ? I realise that would mean that the players were being paid late, but I wouldn't have thought it was that late to cause eviction / repossession.

I heard Tilly paid JHs rent on one or two occassions

what an embarrassing state of affairs for our club

Horrible situation for anyone to be in. Ron you DISGRACE!

I also herd (see what I did?) that him and his girlfriend split up at the same time. Hope it all goes well for him, because he is a top bloke!

Terrible, simply terrible. How people can continue to call the squad gutless for their performances last year when Ron's total disdain towards his liability to them was causing such untenable circumstances for some is beyond a joke.

it also show's up Ron for what he really really is, in light of his 'should of remained professional on the pitch' comment.

I used to be friends with Herd on Facebook (I don't know him or anything) and remember him putting some statuses about his personal life and it seems like he had a bit of a hard time of it in the last year or so. Then he deleted me. I think he may have split up with his girlfriend. Anyway I wish him well, always came across as a quiet, modest lad. i think a move will do him good. People forget that footballers are humans too sometimes.

What do you expect and still the usual suspects
Will blame last year on tilson. Still as long as martin
Or gypsy boy issuing a statement slAgging herd off and denying it
That will buy ppl off again

He was on about £700 in his last season here I think.

And yes, Tilly had to help him with his rent occasionally.

Poor form.

Yet another peice of evidence to show what was going on in 2009/10 season. Martin found £5m via a Sainsbury's deal yet he couldnt lay his hands on maybe a couple of hundred grand to pay the wages on time and probably save our League One status, what a shame. Here we are now in the bottom half of the lowest Division, still very depressing.

Yet another peice of evidence to show what was going on in 2009/10 season.

Couldn't agree more.

It's simply staggering to believe that we were paying our fringe players enough that an unproven 19 year old (going into that season he'd played less than a dozen first team games) not established in the side, could afford to buy a house. The buck has to stop with Martin for allowing that to happen. It's fiscal insanity.

Couldn't agree more.

It's simply staggering to believe that we were paying our fringe players enough that an unproven 19 year old (going into that season he'd played less than a dozen first team games) not established in the side, could afford to buy a house. The buck has to stop with Martin for allowing that to happen. It's fiscal insanity.

Was he buying or renting ? Do you know ?

That's really shockingly bad, I also thought the PFA were picking up their wages. I thought several people on here assured us of that?

Couldn't agree more.

He did not buy or own a house. He rented. He came round to Tilly's house in a panic one day saying that he was on the verge of being evicted for non-payment of rent and Tilly physically went and drew out £400 to help him out.

I would like to see a month by month statement from the club of how many staff salary payments as a percentage were on time (players, management & the rest of the staff) over the last 2 years showing which months they have been paid in full by the due date of that month. I think we would all be horrified about the shambles it would reveal. At the same time Ron has managed to find enough money for Caribean holidays, a new Bentley (with chauffeur in tow when required) & any creditor who issues a Winding Up order. It's all about priorities. For me, anyone who can turn up to the club in a new Bentley or be sunning themselves in the lap of luxury while their staff haven't been paid is a complete .......................:thumbdown:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back