• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Joe Gubbins signs on 2 year deal

Transfer news
Bridge at LWB is what makes us tick as it creates a mismatch. If you push him further forward he’ll get picked up by an actual defender. Having Bridge as a defender makes the opposition choose between sacrificing an attacking player or being run ragged down there.

Not sure why Jack gets labelled a wing back. Gus is one but not Jack. He always plays further forward and has cost us some cheap goals when he does defend.

With a proper Left back/sided defender Jack can concentrate more in their half and I would rather see him not just hugging the left side. He popped up unmarked on the right hand side of the box for nice finish at RH towards then end of last season. We need more of that and let defenders defend

Not sure why Jack gets labelled a wing back. Gus is one but not Jack. He always plays further forward and has cost us some cheap goals when he does defend.

With a proper Left back/sided defender Jack can concentrate more in their half and I would rather see him not just hugging the left side. He popped up unmarked on the right hand side of the box for nice finish at RH towards then end of last season. We need more of that and let defenders defend
I'll allow a couple of "cheap goals" against from the divisions meanest defence!

I think Bridge is fine where he is for the moment. We did some really good stuff towards the end of last season which involved Bridge being a bit of an inverted WB. Morton would drop into LCB, Ralph would move out to LWB and often occupy the opposition FB/WB, and Bridge would come inside to the midfield. It resulted in Bridge popping up in odd places like the right hand side of the opposition penalty box, and worked well.

Long gone are the days where a tactically well-drilled team sits in one rigid formation, with its players rigidly in their published position, all game. We're pretty fluid. I wouldn't be looking to change too much of works well.

I'll allow a couple of "cheap goals" against from the divisions meanest defence!

I think Bridge is fine where he is for the moment. We did some really good stuff towards the end of last season which involved Bridge being a bit of an inverted WB. Morton would drop into LCB, Ralph would move out to LWB and often occupy the opposition FB/WB, and Bridge would come inside to the midfield. It resulted in Bridge popping up in odd places like the right hand side of the opposition penalty box, and worked well.

Long gone are the days where a tactically well-drilled team sits in one rigid formation, with its players rigidly in their published position, all game. We're pretty fluid. I wouldn't be looking to change too much of works well.
Indeed.

And it always makes me laugh when fans come out with the usual "he's got no plan B". The 11 players on the pitch are continuously changing positions, even if it is just subtle changes. Just because you don't make a substitution doesn't mean the plan hasn't changed. I think I've learned quite a lot from reading @ShrimperStats reports. It's a real eye opener to see the amount of "in-game" management that actually goes on.

As an aside, I think more substitutes has a negative impact on the game as it allows less tactically astute managers to just change the team rather than work within the constraints of 11 players.

JOE Gubbins is setting his sights high on his return to Southend United.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
JOE Gubbins is setting his sights high on his return to Southend United.

The 22-year-old defender, who made 10 appearances while on loan with the Shrimpers in 2022, is back with the National League club on a permanent basis.

And, after signing a two year deal with Blues, Gubbins revealed he was targetting promotion with Kevin Maher’s side.

“I expect it to be a tough season but I want to come here, make an impact and help the team get promoted,” said Gubbins.

“I know what the club’s all about and how big the fanbase is so I’m delighted to be back and really, really excited to get going.”

Gubbins will face a fight to work his way into the Shrimpers starting line-up with skipper Nathan Ralph also in contention for the left sided centre-back role.

But Gubbins believes he now brings more to the team than in his first spell with Blues.

“I think now I’m older I want to bring some leadership qualities from the back,” said Gubbins.

“I want to put my mark on the team in terms of communication, passing, defending, and more importantly, helping the team get clean sheets.”

Gubbins made 42 appearances while on loan with Accrington Stanley last season.

And Shrimpers boss Maher has continued to keep tabs on the centre-back.

“He did ever so well for us on loan in the period he was with us, so he was someone I kept in touch with and watched his career,” said Maher “He’s gone and played more than 30 games for Accrington, which will do him the world of good.

“It’s a great place to learn your trade and it will stand him in good stead coming here.

“There’s still loads of room for development and he’s at a great age for us.

“There’s plenty of work to do, but he’s got quality on the ball with his left foot and he’s also filled out strength-wise as well.

“It gives us great flexibility on that side of the pitch.”

Back