• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Jason Demetriou departs

Transfer news
Good luck JD thank you sincerely for giving your all and loving this wonderful club, i wish you good health and im sure very soon a club will come calling you with a position to suit you , maybe assistant coaching role to begin with . A true Southend Legend.

One of the best songs I've heard at RH in more recent years with the refrain of 'Jason Jason Jason Demetriou' in the chorus: - >

What an absolute ****e week this has been yet again. What with the news on OK then Cards departing to a promotion rival who can pay much higher wages than us (I don't blame HC or the club) but who'd have thought FGR were a bigger club than us? and now the true gentleman and legend JD leaving ☹️

The 2 new signings have eased some of the pain but can't help but feel pretty down right now. Let's hope all of this doesn't affect our remaining players and we don't get stuffed this afternoon 🤞

UTB 💙

Last edited:
Very sad news, but I think the writing has been on the wall for a while, and as I said previously, with us not having a Under 23/B side or even academy, there really isn’t a position for him.

Manager of our 23/B side would have been the perfect position for him, or even head of academy, but another stain from the RM era hampering us moving forward.

JD was a terrific servant for this football club and player in almost every position, manager in our hour of need too. He has continually put his body on the line for this football club, and deserves a proper send off. He’d indicated to Kev early in the summer he didn’t want to carry on playing, hence the signing of Wind as competition to GSM and it’s a shame they couldn’t find a role for him.

I’d like to think the OS will put something out about this after the Fylde game.

Another who deserves a great reception as and when he returns to Roots Hall.

Another truly wholehearted player who always contributed even in latter years when accumulated injuries were taking a visible toll. His eight seasons with the club included many of the worst in the club's existence and his contribution in these dark times was above and beyond the call of duty.
I suspect if there was spare money floating around the club some could have been found to keep him on but for obvious reasons we are forced to run a tight financial ship and just cannot afford spare bodies.
His competitiveness and passion for the game will surely translate into an effective coach and or manager.
Our loss should, before very long, be someone else's gain.

What a really ****ty day - Kensdale, Cardwell, Demetriou. Of all of those, it is Demi I am most sorry to see go. An absolute lionheart of a man on the pitch, played every position out there at some time or another and head coach at one point too.

Eight years of watching him flying up and down the wing, often even while in great pain. Took a great penalty too. Really sorry a position couldn't be found for him and wish him all the very best for the future.

It is absolutely the right decision for JD and he knows it.

Without the slim chance he may be used as a player there is really no work for him at SUFC. Rather than one of the lads having a go at coaching he will have to 'prove' himself at new club. That will be much better for his personal and coaching future.

We had a similar reaction amongst fans about AB's move to Millwall. When I had chat with Adam a few years ago about promotion within over moving somewhere new (from my own experience with work) he fully agreed with me. Just like I'm sure others on here have experienced. You can surprise yourself when the test is harder and the new boys cut you no slack. You have to become another level very fast or sink. Very important when you make that first step.

My very best wishes to JD personally for all he gave and the very best of luck on his new coaching journey.

Last edited:
Shows the character of the kind of person he is. He could have signed a player coaching contract but he knew his knee wasn't up to the work it would be put through.

He could quite easily have signed the contract and then used his knee as his excuse not to play.

Wonder if Braintree have got a requirement for what he is looking for. Connect up with John White

Back