• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Jason Demetriou departs

Transfer news
Known about this for quite a while, doing some coaching at Junior level

Last edited:
JASON Demetriou has announced he is leaving Southend United.

The 36-year-old has been with the Shrimpers since 2016.

But, after months of talks with the National League club surrounding his future, Demetriou has now opted to move on.

“The last eight years have been unreal,” said Demetriou.

“I wouldn’t change it for anything.

“It’s been a huge rollercoaster but after seeing the club through to the other side I feel the timing to move is right.”

Demetriou made 260 appearances while with Blues and combined playing with a coaching role last season.

But he did not feel capable of continuing in both positions this time around.

“I was offered a player coach role at the start, the same as last year, but it’s hard doing both roles at the same time,” said Demetriou.

“I had a long time off and I knew I was going to struggle to go back in.

“With my knee as well I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to play full-time.

“Kev (Maher) was as good as gold with me and tried to convince me but I just couldn’t.

“I knew I couldn’t last the whole season like I did last year and I didn’t want to start it knowing I couldn’t finish.

“I had to be honest and I’ve made the decision to come out of it.”

Demetriou had been in discussions about a possible coaching role with the Shrimpers.

But a role which suited his needs could not be found.

“We were talking about another role but I think it’s time to move on,” explained Demetriou.

“The three first team coaches there now are top people and fantastic coaches.

“I have learned so much in the last few years and I feel there’s enough there so adding another at this time might not be needed.

“I decided for now it’s time to move on.”

However, Demetriou did not want to rush that decision.

“I wanted to give it as much time as possible because I’ve been there so long and I love it,” said the former Cyprus international.

“I go to the games now and think are you really going to leave now when everything has turned good but I think it’s the right time.

“I’m sad to be leaving but I’ve loved being at the club and wish everyone there all the success for the future.”

Demetriou remains determined to stay involved in football.

But he is unsure where he will head to next.

“Maybe I’ll get a coaching role somewhere or play part-time football, I don’t know,” said Demetriou.

“I’m going to see what happens.

“I’m not announcing my retirement or anything.

“I thought about it but I didn’t want to shut the door on what might be possible.

“I’m in a bit of no man’s land but we’ll see what happens.”

I think i shall go to bed now as i cant seem to keep up with it all

I am not a massive fan of Jason but he has been a loyal servant to the club and has kept his integrity throughout and he does deserve a decent send off.

I really do wish him all the best and hopes he succeeds in whatever he does next

Legend gets thrown around a lot. I genuinely believe Demi is one. Unbelievable professional who played every role for us and undertook every role, including managing us. He's conducted himself impeccably, including this summer.

Good luck for your future Demi and you'll always be remembered and welcomed with open arms at Roots Hall.

Last edited:
Great servant to the club both on and off the pitch.The relality the club just cant find a position for him,which is a big loss but some club will do very well in picking up his skills.Thanks for everything you have given to the club and all the best for the future.

The end of an era and farewell to one of my all time favourite players. Whatever you do next Demi I hope it brings you fulfilment both on the football front and financially. You were one of Phil Brown's best signings for our club and you never let us down, including being the provider of retribution on opposition players if the situation demanded it.

Back