• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If no Shrimpers, who would you support?

No alternative, football would be done.

A phoenix club possibly, but probably won't have the same love as now.

Just England. Supporting another club is psychologically impossible for me.

I’ll keep watching Match of the Day though. The PL is so astronomically out of our reach that it doesn’t affect me as much, whereas until we reunite with the Football League I’ve blocked that out already. I didn’t watch a single episode of the EFL highlights show last season.

I hate saying this but I felt the euphoria, especially the beautiful photo/collage from the Trust depicting the end of Ron, was premature. I nearly posted that at the time but I feared I would be called a spoilsport in such an emotional thread.

It's a great question, both difficult and easy to answer.

There is a difference between 'following' and 'supporting'.

Tottenham was my team growing up from 81. Grandparents were from there, as was my Father, and so for my brothers and I, it was a natural follow. Southend became an interest from around 1990, so I followed both.

Supporting is a whole different matter. It's about investing your time, money and energy into a club, aswell as building friendships. As for Spurs, I'll always follow them and go to the odd game, but you can't replace support with the same sentiments/actions.

Supporting a team cannot be replicated easily. Of course you can attend regularly, but that same community feeling for the club and the build of friendships over years, isn't something you can just switch on and off.

Bowers is the nearest club to me, but I don't have a feel at all for them. Canvey, who I played for many years ago, I could perhaps support to a point.

Likely though, if Southend were to be lost, life would be very different. I'd continue to watch the odd Spurs game (cost, time and the hate of VAR and Premier League greed makes that difficult), go watch Zak Brunt, Nealy and Oli Coker when possible, and play more tennis. Otherwise, maybe start a new project.

Sad we're even discussing this and there are no wrong answers here. Feel for everyone who would need to make that decision.

More time to go fishing. My guilty pleasure. There'll never be another SUFC for me, three family generations through the turnstiles and all the memories that accompany that,
Snap!. Only difference is 4 family generations of fans for me. Grandfather, Dad, Me & my sons. I'd like to add my Grandson to the list, but as he lives in N.Y & is currently 4 3/4, he'll probably get involved in American football or baseball FFS!.

Probably nobody. I’m nearly 70, and although I’ve always lived as an exile in Medway, I’ve followed the blues since being a young ankle biter. My dad lived just up the road from Roots hall, and with my older bruv, who has SUFC running through his veins, I’ve been a Shrimprer my whole life. My late lovely wife was a Liverpool lass, so I have a sentimental connection enough to follow their results …….but that’s about it.
If it came to it, I might go with brother to watch the odd Chatham Town game, and catch up on happier times…….but nothing can replace the blues. Ever.

Too sad to contemplate really.

I wouldn't support anyone other than England, but I think I would follow the fortunes of Dortmund more closely as like their set up and amazing fan base

I’ve said previously on here that I’ve already started supporting Man City which initially was much less stressful than Southend, but I have to say that the FA Cup final defeat got me down a bit, unnecessarily so in fact, so now I support Real Madrid. We won the Champions League at the weekend which was nice and we have just signed Mbappe on a free transfer which just shows what is possible if you have a decent scouting network. Can’t believe no one else came in for him. However, next season whilst I watch Real on TV I will still sometimes check my phone to catch up on all the local non league scores

Malaga CF

- They are a seaside club
- Play in Blue and white
- They’re nickname is a small sea creature
- They’ve been run into the ground by a shocking owner and now play regional football.

Plus the food, drink & weather isn’t bad I suppose

You can come and stay with me. They are in the 3rd division with a great stadium and an incredible following. Currently in the play offs to get back to the 2nd division.

They would be my team if the worst happens but it could never be the same!

I’d maintain a passing interest in Billericay Town & Spurs. At least it won’t be so painful when they lose.

Not interested in the PL and I really despise people living in Surrey etc supporting non London top 6 clubs. Also celebrities with no affiliation supporting them

Have lived in the Bradford area since 1970 and I would go along to Bradford City matches around the late 70s (fortunately I wasn't present on the day of the fire) but I wasn't really that bothered whether they won or not

Supporting the club is my one link with where I come from and I enjoy the various comments about what goes on in the town (now city!)

Followed the fortunes of Histon (parents lived close by) and Guiseley who are local but both have fallen on hard times. Always look out for Berwick and East Fife!

Standing on the touchline watching anyone playing in a local park - no rolling over in agony and then running around like a greyhound a minute later nonsense

Yes I shall follow England but not with great enthusiasm. Why does Southgate always say "we" rather than "I" and I can't be doing with all this woke crap - too old I suppose

Sermon over

My interest in football has dwindled over the years anyway so I’d just not bother, watch some on tele every now and then, England games etc and I still play a bit..

I’ve said previously on here that I’ve already started supporting Man City which initially was much less stressful than Southend, but I have to say that the FA Cup final defeat got me down a bit, unnecessarily so in fact, so now I support Real Madrid. We won the Champions League at the weekend which was nice and we have just signed Mbappe on a free transfer which just shows what is possible if you have a decent scouting network. Can’t believe no one else came in for him. However, next season whilst I watch Real on TV I will still sometimes check my phone to catch up on all the local non league scores
Bloody embargo... better wipe mbappe off the whiteboard then 😒

You can come and stay with me. They are in the 3rd division with a great stadium and an incredible following. Currently in the play offs to get back to the 2nd division.

They would be my team if the worst happens but it could never be the same!

Now there’s an offer!

Been to La Rosaleda twice. Saw a 1-1 draw and a 4-1 win. In fact that last game was the penultimate game of the season (IIRC) before the playoffs when they were still in La Segunda.

Fantastic stadium, great fanbase & a beautiful city to match. I even made friends with some of El Frente Bokerón.

If you haven’t seen it, this thread on Zoner’s Foreign Football Experiences is worth a look :wink

Back