• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Hartlepool United v Southend United, Saturday 17th August, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and Result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 81 88.0%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Ollie Kensdale

• Joe Gubbins

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Cav Miley

• Oli Coker

Votes: 72 78.3%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 75 81.5%
  • Josh Walker

Votes: 77 83.7%
  • Harry Cardwell

• Danny Waldron

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • James Morton

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Adam Crowther

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • James Hillson

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mikey Faulkner

• George Wind

• Beau MacDonald

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win

Votes: 26 28.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
After the initial euphoria and ultimate disappointment of an opening day draw with York City, the Shrimpers will take their unbeaten start on the second longest away trip of the season to Hartlepool (the longest is to Gateshead on the last day of the regular season).

The Monkey Hangers had their longest trip of the season last Saturday and managed a creditable 1-0 win at newly promoted Yeovil. It was a return to one of his former clubs for Hartlepool's new manager Darren Sarll, who was appointed at the end of last season, for his first win at his new club.

It was an interesting close season for their new gaffer as he had 3 days in the job to decide on his retained list, and the former Woking boss opted to release 9 and transfer list 2 of last season's squad. He's had quite a busy summer too with 7 new signings: goalkeeper Adam Smith (Morecambe), Centre-back Bill Sass-Davies (Crewe), winger Adam Campbell (Crawley), midfielders Greg Sloggett (Cheltenham), Jack Hunter (Halifax), Nathan Sheron (Oldham), and forward Luke Charman (AFC Fylde). Campbell, Hunter, Sheron and Charman started against Yeovil, Smith and Sass-Davies were on the bench and Sloggett (who sounds more like a cricketer!) was injured. Like ourselves, they are still apparently a few players light - particularly up front.

Despite a few rumours of signings, at the time of writing we have no further signings to bolster the ranks. Kev is likely to make the journey to the north-east with the same squad as he had last Saturday and therefore needs to decide whether to go with the same starting XI (including Jack Bridge in the attacking midfield role) or to tweak the team like he did during the second half.

If you are making the long journey then please take time to study @DoDTS 's excellent thread which tells you all you need to know logistically about the trip.

In the meantime, who would you choose to start on Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
Collin
Taylor Kensdale Ralph
Gus miley Morton bridge
Coker
Walker cardwell

Get bridge back starting wide and another set of minutes in the tank for our starting eleven
I'm happy with that, but I think i'd start a bit more cautiously away from home. Same personnel, but 4-4-2 with Gus and Ralph as FB's and Coker Right mid.

This may have been explained elsewhere, but why does the squad appear a beat behind on fitness?
I'm basing that on Zone comments made during and after York, but others might argue our lack lustre showing had nothing to do with condition.
One would think those remaining from last season would have kept up fitness despite the late takeover, no?
At least Wes won't be blasting over from 10 yards when easier to hit the target!

This may have been explained elsewhere, but why does the squad appear a beat behind on fitness?
I'm basing that on Zone comments made during and after York, but others might argue our lack lustre showing had nothing to do with condition.
One would think those remaining from last season would have kept up fitness despite the late takeover, no?
At least Wes won't be blasting over from 10 yards when easier to hit the target!
I'd suggest it was more because we spent almost the entireity of the second half chasing Yorks shadows. With nobody able to get a foot on the ball and give us a breather.

No idea what the possession stats were second half, but it felt monumentally in favour of York.

Very unlike us, unsustainable and looked a shock to their systems.

I'd suggest it was more because we spent almost the entireity of the second half chasing Yorks shadows. With nobody able to get a foot on the ball and give us a breather.

No idea what the possesion stats were second half, but it felt monumentally in favour of York.

Very unlike us, unsustainable and looked a shock to their systems.
...and when we did get the ball we just knocked it up to the front two. If you gonna play 3-5-2, you can't keep bypassing the lads in midfield.

They will have to up their game from last week for most of the game York were the better side I don’t think the keeper had a save to make in the second half , and if it wasn’t for a outstanding save from Colin in the second half they would have gone home with 3 points . As Maher has said we need to bring in 3 / 4 players,

Our first away jaunt and it just has to be a 500 mile round trip! I'd like to think that last Saturday's result will have shaken the players and the Amigos to their boots, as we didn't do any of the things we were good at last season, especially the high tempo press. Assuming pride has been stung, I'm looking for a dogged performance and at least a point from our chaps in red this time round. I also hope we will see a return of Nathan Ralph as the left side of the back three, and Mr Bridge doing his mazy round and round stuff out on the left hand side. Unlike many, I would also start Danny Waldron next to Harry, and Gubbins and Josh Walker can have a rest on the bench.

Our first away jaunt and it just has to be a 500 mile round trip! I'd like to think that last Saturday's result will have shaken the players and the Amigos to their boots, as we didn't do any of the things we were good at last season, especially the high tempo press. Assuming pride has been stung, I'm looking for a dogged performance and at least a point from our chaps in red this time round. I also hope we will see a return of Nathan Ralph as the left side of the back three, and Mr Bridge doing his mazy round and round stuff out on the left hand side. Unlike many, I would also start Danny Waldron next to Harry, and Gubbins and Josh Walker can have a rest on the bench.
Without doubt, move Bridgey back out to the left wing. It was worth a try in the middle, but he's such a dangerous player out on that left flank.

I'd like to see Jack back on the left as well. Might be a majority view on here. For me the fact he usually draws the attention of 2 or 3 players to that side, I'd like to see walker keep his place alongside Harry, so that he might benefit from an increase of service into the box either directly to him or via Cards for him to feed off, not to mention Cards own abilities to finish himself. It would certainly occupy the 'Pools defence a bit more than we did the York defence over the 90 minutes.

Interestingly, done a bit of scouting of Pools fans online and they seem to think Sarll has changed Pools playing style to the high press similar to us, so could be two sides cancelling each other out and mistakes could be costly in this weekend's game.

Regarding general fitness, I think we're fine but you need to be match fit as well. Be focused and sharp on the ball and be aware of where your team-mates are and also the opposition. We didn't play enough friendlies to grasp that and our decision-making against York was uncharacteristically poor.

I know you don't like Wes but the fact is we are missing him as it stands. Our midfield is flat and too predictable, hence why Bridge has playing centrally. I'm not suggesting we can't/won't find an upgrade on Wes but his movement and ability to find space between midfield and attack, not to mention his link up play with Bridge, was a real asset, and so far (including friendlies) we have struggled without him.

Hi folks, Pools fan, really looking forward to our first home game of the season. I look forward to every game actually, a few pints before the match, a few after, it’s normally the game itself which puts a dampener on my match day experience, ho hum.

Sarll does seem to like the high press approach to football and appears to have improved the fitness of the team with that style of play in mind but like you we need a few additions to the squad as we already have injuries.

Sarll has also put a bit of a backbone into the team, previously, teams have out muscled us on a consistent basis, hopefully our powder puff midfields of the past few seasons are just that, in the past.

Honestly not sure how our season will go, would love to do a Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham (yawn) & run away with the league but we all know that you need big bucks to manage that & we, along with most teams in the NL don’t have big bucks unfortunately.

Not sure what the result will be on Saturday, probably a draw but the Vic will be bouncing on Saturday & if it’s a close game the crowd just might be enough to get us the three points. To everyone travelling up for the match, have a safe trip and good luck for the season, Saturday excluded of course.

B.B.C. weather says 19°C on Saturday & no wind coming in off the North Sea.

Not sure what that has to do with anything but I thought I would "share". [shoulder shrug]

The game last season was a ponderous affair. As it is only the 2nd game of the season I will be looking more for a good performance & signs of improvement.

Hi folks, Pools fan, really looking forward to our first home game of the season. I look forward to every game actually, a few pints before the match, a few after, it’s normally the game itself which puts a dampener on my match day experience, ho hum.

Sarll does seem to like the high press approach to football and appears to have improved the fitness of the team with that style of play in mind but like you we need a few additions to the squad as we already have injuries.

Sarll has also put a bit of a backbone into the team, previously, teams have out muscled us on a consistent basis, hopefully our powder puff midfields of the past few seasons are just that, in the past.

Honestly not sure how our season will go, would love to do a Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham (yawn) & run away with the league but we all know that you need big bucks to manage that & we, along with most teams in the NL don’t have big bucks unfortunately.

Not sure what the result will be on Saturday, probably a draw but the Vic will be bouncing on Saturday & if it’s a close game the crowd just might be enough to get us the three points. To everyone travelling up for the match, have a safe trip and good luck for the season, Saturday excluded of course.
Oi....if you gonna come on here, any talk of SUFC's tactics must be kept strictly between you and us :Winking:You'll shortly be receiving an email with a Non Disclosure Agreement which you need to sign and email back at your earliest convenience :Smile: Joking aside, hope it's a great game !!

Actually Supa, I was responding to “ColinMorriswalksonwater” post regarding tactics & style of play. He mentioned that both of our respective teams play a similar high press game, personally I have as much tactical awareness as certain England managers! Besides that, I can’t even spell NDA!!

Cheers @NYPOOLIE. All teams past the Watford Gap are considered to be Northern to us, and so, in time honoured fashion, I'd like to say we're going to give you Northern monkeys a damn good shoeing on Saturday. :Winking:

Actually Supa, I was responding to “ColinMorriswalksonwater” post regarding tactics & style of play. He mentioned that both of our respective teams play a similar high press game, personally I have as much tactical awareness as certain England managers! Besides that, I can’t even spell NDA!!
How are you with 'Due Diligence', it's one of our favourite phrases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back