• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

Bit of a shame but expected him to leave us at some point. Thought it would be to pursue a modelling career rather than another club though.
I’d be more disappointed if GSM left.

Goodbye Harry, Must have been the black eye from Kensdale......allegedly.!
Forest Green Rovers sign forward from Southend United for undisclosed fee
HARRY.webp

Last edited:
I'm sure money had a lot to do with it. However FGR also play a lot more attacking football plus a greater opportunity of getting into the football league (money spent, go back up). If I'm a striker playing in a team feeding off of scraps and have the opportunity to play with a team that has wingers and more attacking play.with an opportunity to score more goals I'd consider that.

All the best Cards. Thanks for last season, hope you have two absolute howlers when we play FGR.
Or unable to take the field against us because he is recovering from a knock received in his previous game. And because we all still love him we hope the injury is not too serious.

I'm sure money had a lot to do with it. However FGR also play a lot more attacking football plus a greater opportunity of getting into the football league (money spent, go back up). If I'm a striker playing in a team feeding off of scraps and have the opportunity to play with a team that has wingers and more attacking play.with an opportunity to score more goals I'd consider that.
Teams that shell out a lot of money usually strengthen their squad on promotion making a lot of signings. Season long loan incoming for the 25/26 season?

Players in football, like managers, they come and go. I suppose it’s a good thing we are in a position where other clubs want to sign our players, it means we are doing something right.

I have no issue with Cardwell, unlike some seem to. An absolute hero for putting up with everything that happened during his spell here and always did it with a smile on his face. He has got himself a nice signing on fee, a huge pay rise (on top of the pay rise we gave him) and it’s thoroughly deserved. I’d do the same with the money on offer.

I’m going to miss him. I actually think he’ll be the hardest in the squad to replace. A target man who knows how to use his frame, works his bollocks off, scores goals, defends from the front and defenders set pieces will be hard to find. Aquah & Hamzad both had similar frames, but never knew how to use them. Cardwell, like Barry Corr, knew the art of leaning into defenders if they couldn’t win the header. Had a good touch for a big man, and played a key role in our press as a team.

As I said in the Pepple thread, I think he’ll surprise people. I don’t think he’ll match Cardwell’s goal output, but I’m hoping he can be the big bloke for Walker’s little man routine. I’m hoping it’s actually Walker who will replace Cardwell’s goal output with Pepple (or anyone else who comes in in that role) replaces the goals of the second striker.

Cardwell deserves a fantastic reception from us in both matches this season, much better than Mooney got. Best of luck this season Cardwell, apart from the matches against us.

Best looking player we have had in ages 💔

Something worth remembering, when Harry first came to Southend he was only half the player he is now and potentially was a sicknote in the making. The improvement in fitness, speed and goal return is a testament to our coaching team as well as Harry's determination to do well.

Miss him already.

In all seriousness, I've moved on. It's football. It's just something that we have not been used to for some time.

On the flip of the coin, when was the last time we sold a player of that age for a six figure sum?

Back in the 1990s? I'm struggling to think and I'm not including the words nominal fee.

The business model, and our football club will be the winners out of this. This will work as Stan eluded too, it's the way to go.

For every Freddy Eastwood, there was a Gary Hooper.

For every Dwight Gayle, there was a Stan Collymore (Stafford Rangers). Many more examples exist of course.

They are out there, we will find them.

These things happen in football all the time, we've just not lost one so appreciated for a long time. I don't blame Harry at all - as others have said, their career in football is short lived so they need to make money while they can.

I hope this is a lesson learned though, for whoever did the contract with Harry - don't make it quite so easy for some cash rich rival to come in and steal our players!

One question, what happens if they get promoted and have all these players on mega high wage bills, and meeting the financial requirements of the EFL?

These things happen in football all the time, we've just not lost one so appreciated for a long time. I don't blame Harry at all - as others have said, their career in football is short lived so they need to make money while they can.

I hope this is a lesson learned though, for whoever did the contract with Harry - don't make it quite so easy for some cash rich rival to come in and steal our players!

One question, what happens if they get promoted and have all these players on mega high wage bills, and meeting the financial requirements of the EFL?
I'm trying desperately hard to think of an answer, but try though I may, I can't override the main thought in my head, who gives a ****?

Cards, as well as Gus, has been our biggest success story I’d say over the last couple of seasons. Both have stepped up, showed character and ability and can inspire others in the squad. They both look like EFL players.

I don’t think the reception Harry will get at the Hall will be like Mooney at all .. he’s left absolutely everything out there for us, a leader and a talisman and will be a massive miss. He’s left for more cash and a potentially better shot at promotion which we can all surely understand. Best of luck Harry.

Back