• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

As of today, there is no way of seeing this as anything other than horrific. A player whoā€™s been absolutely terrific gone to a side in the same division. And Forest Green. Just when you think the bad times are done, thereā€™s always another sting in the tail. What was once Stan Collymore to Forest, is now Forest effing Green poaching our best.

Butā€¦some things to consider. Have we had the best or is there better to come? When Exeter rumours swirled, my Exeter mates asked - ā€œis he the answer to our striker woesā€ and my answer was ā€œmaybeā€. He was doing great for us, but his historic record, incl injuries, was patchy. And L1 defences are much better than NL. As it is heā€™s gone to another NL side and I absolutely wish him well. The squad of last season pretty much get a ā€˜free passā€™ for life given how they performed against the backdrop they were up against. Fans will be anxious that the corresponding loan signing has aā€¦moderateā€¦goal scoring record - the ā€˜swingā€™ from Cardwell to Pebble doesnā€™t look brilliant on paper. But Kev and co have earned our trust.

Sign players cheap - move them on at profit - repeat. Thatā€™s the key to sustainable improvement. This will not be the last time this happens. So mourn his departure, celebrate the good times - but get used to the concept. We cant expect to strike gold and hope to keep it - in my view - better Cardwell than GSM as an example. Doesnā€™t necessarily help tomorrow obviously, but remember itā€™s a long game. UTB
Like Brentford selling Toney on to the Saudis for Ā£40m!

Cardwell was good for us and as mentioned he was very good in our penalty area as an extra defender. There are areas that he isn't so good at and I would say despite his goals he is not a natural finisher. Will be interesting to see how he gets on, I fancy he won't necessarily be a success. However, you can't blame the guy for accepting the terms he was offered. Good job we had a sell on fee inserted into his contract extension. Well done Tom for forward thinking.

120k Is pittence... that's probably a years salary for one of our higher earners... and that's the fee were getting for our best goalscorer in years.
Most of League 1 and League 2 side wouldnā€™t pay Ā£120ā€™000 for Cardwell, because he a non league striker, they probably bid Ā£50k or less.

Think I was just so gutted at this news. I don't blame Cards or the club just wish he had gone to a league club not a promotion rival, it hurt a lot more and feel so sorry for Kev, will he ever get a week without drama šŸ¤¦šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø šŸ’™
No disrespect to you mate. This is a ****ty day. But it's a long season.

When I first learnt this I was disappointed especially with the injuries we got and the issues around Kensdale.But on reflection if we have received a fee believed to be Ā£120000 then that's good business for the club.Harry did a great job for the club but wasnt the full article but wish him well and thanks for his efforts.Interesting to read on the FGR forum he has likely massively increased his wages but their fans are wondering how they can afford him with there small crowds however not our problem.

Yes itā€™s a massive loss but look at the bigger picture ā€¦

Everyone moaned when we were signing players with no sell on potential, we signed Cards for Ā£20k ish and have sold him for Ā£120k this is what we NEED to do to make ourselves sustainable.

Like I said itā€™s gutting we have lost our top goalscorer last season but the club gave him a contract offer and this was rejected and his agent (and himself) insisted on a fee of Ā£120k minimum fee release clause ā€¦ if we didnā€™t offer then he would of been going on a free and you would of all moaned a damn sight more.

We have made Ā£100k off the deal which is good business at our level.

COSU have said all along that the 5 year plan is to make us self sustainable and unfortunately this is one of the steps in that.

Chin up lads get behind the team and things will come good.
To be fair the Ā£120k was a rumored sum in release fee clause. Has it been confirmed it was Ā£120k may have been more could have been less

To be fair the Ā£120k was a rumored sum in release fee clause. Has it been confirmed it was Ā£120k may have been more could have been less
Iā€™ll be honest I have no idea on the exact figure, so I quoted the rumoured price, either way we have made profit on a player which is what we all want and need

This kind of situation will soon be a thing of the past.
Look at Kensdale, no one wants him to go but if he does, the prep that the backroom team have done over the last year or so has provided us with security in that position and Crowther is ready to step up (I think he could turn out to be better than Kensdale but thatā€™s a different point).

With Cardwell we were prevented from strengthening that position due to the embargo and with it being a harder position to fill, so yeah itā€™s massively frustrating but I take something from the fact that soon weā€™ll have cover for these issues so we can take the money we feel is right and we have the players waiting behind to step up.

Weā€™re only now finally able to start using this process properly and selling players for a profit will get us out of this mess left behind by Ron, quicker.

Good luck to him and letā€™s crack on and sign the next.

Back