• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think we could do with Dalby on in the 2nd half. Grimsby don't look all that at the back and Sam's ability to nick balls in the air could be our best route to goal. As others have said, first 5 we were sleep walking much to Grimsby's delight but after that we have restricted their clear cut chances. Still lacking any real dominance in the middle and Murphy on his own doesn't help. That said we have given Grimsby some scary moments in their box.

We’re awful off the ball. Only Brunt closing down. Grimsby have so much time on the ball. We’ve actually had a fair amount of the ball, but we’re awful with it.

Seeing the replay twice again on their goal am I right in seeing their bloke offside by a yard when the ball is kicked

We’re awful off the ball. Only Brunt closing down. Grimsby have so much time on the ball. We’ve actually had a fair amount of the ball, but we’re awful with it.

Same as last season. So much ball watching, especially after a shot, and just waiting for the player near the ball to do something.

Just go for it now Maher. I can’t bare another 45 mins of the same. Stick Egbri and Philips on and let’s actually give them a game. They’re not that good a team. Close them down get on the front foot and release Walsh down the right.

That wasn’t bad. Alas Whitey is struggling, Walsh had a very bright start, Hobson has hurled himself at some last-headers and I wish Ferguson would impose himself more. Personal highlight of the half was Brunt directing where he wanted Walsh to run and promptly put the ball on a sixpence for him. They are not that great.

I actually think we could do with Dalby on in the 2nd half. Grimsby don't look all that at the back and Sam's ability to nick balls in the air could be our best route to goal.
My only concern is that it weakens our currently “adequate” midfield. I’d fear any extra firepower it gives us would be more than countered by Grimsby assuming total control of the middle. All a bit moot we were a goal down though. How long do we keep it ‘tight’?

Seeing the replay twice again on their goal am I right in seeing their bloke offside by a yard when the ball is kicked
I thought that initially but it wasn’t the player in an offside position that chased it down but someone coming from further back

Someone clearly goes to a lot of trouble to write the intro for this thread but as it comes up at team news time and goes straight into comment do many people actually read it or like me scroll through the to the comments? I wonder if opening the thread a bit earlier might get it read more?
Totally agree. I respect the person who writes them and goes to all that effort but to be honest I wish there was a Skip To Comments link

Just go for it now Maher. I can’t bare another 45 mins of the same. Stick Egbri and Philips on and let’s actually give them a game. They’re not that good a team. Close them down get on the front foot and release Walsh down the right.
Don't mind the idea of change - but not those two, bless them.
If we're going to lump it forward get rid of Atkinson, and bring on Dalby.

Someone was in an offside positon, but it wasn't the player who the pass went to, so no.

I thought that initially but it wasn’t the player in an offside position that chased it down but someone coming from further back
Yes I get that but both of those players were close and possibly both just off? I thought it was all about when the ball is kicked and certainly one if not two potentially offside, Need a good freeze frame.

Nevertheless we did so poorly defensively after that sadly, But played some beat fast football at times, positives still going forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back