• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United

Status
Not open for further replies.
S**t half. Not giving this lot any pity praise, we're clearly still not good enough haven't even laid a glove on Grimsby.

They could play 80 mins of this 90 on autopilot and still come away with 3 points.

We did quite well there ,and fought back well for a change. No way can you blame John White for that early goal, As the commentators said we had 8 back, all reacted slowly, lackadaisical, appealing and then failed to clear the ball through 3 different phases of play, 2 of which had more to do with Hobbo and Lopata

Apart from the first 3 minutes, we have looked a lot more solid. If we could just show a bit more composure in the final ball into the box and hopefully test their keeper more.

If we can keep it tight and concentrate at the start of the 2nd half, I still think Grimsby will grow more frustrated and we will get at least one chance. But we must take it.

I can certainly see some green shoots developing.....

For those not watching it's worth stating that we have actually played quite well. Unfortunately we struggle defensively and were hopeless in the first five minutes. Overall we were probably the better team in that half but didn't really threaten the Grimsby goal much. Brunt is excellent, Walsh has been good and Murphy has stayed on his feet. Will we equalise? We may, but Grimsby could well score again.

Poor half. I think we looked good in some parts, but could be because Grimsby got complacent. They look like they can threaten at any moment, but we don't.

Brunt and Walsh seem to be our best chance to get something from this game. Not sure about Murphy up front on his own as he is more of a player you want to get into the box at any chance, not someone to have their back to goal or have the pace to lead a counter attack. I'd be tempted to put Dalby on for Atkinson but worry that a midfield two of Dunne and Ferguson will be torn through easily.

Aside from the obvious, calamitous & disastrous start, I don’t think we’ve been too bad over that 45 minutes.
One or two tweaks, we can hopefully get something. We've had nothing clear cut aside the shot from Walsh, but with a bit more conviction and belief there is a goal out there for us. Kev has set up well with the players he has available to selected, and limited them.

Would be useful if we could cut out the supply from the left, but that would depend on White finding a bike at half time.

It's the wings or nothing going forward.
If I hear one more time there's a player in there when pointing at Ferguson, I'm going to need certifying.
Apart from getting wounded, Dunne and Atkinson are pointless.
But it could have been worse.

I thought we were on top for about 20 minutes after there goal but grimsby also had chances to extend the lead. Walsh is our bright spark of the first half.

My half time thoughts are …..

Our 2 fullbacks are finished, sorry if that upsets anyone but they have nothing to offer now. Reserving judgement on the 2cb’s as left exposed Quite often.

Atkinson awful, surely we have someone else, Dunne not a lot to sat but maybe slightly better than Atkinson. Ferguson couple of nice bits but not really involved for me.

Walsh and Brunt been bright at times, best players for us in my opinion

Murphy looks ok (not better than most of the others) but he looks short of confidence as do the rest of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back