• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got tickets to see Richard Ashcroft at the Boston (Mass not Lincs) House of Blues on the 29th. Never got to see the Verve, so I'm well chuffed.

The XX at Brixton Academy.
Jehnny Beth - her from Savages (originally wrote them off as a less edgy Banshees but they have grown on me) alone on piano was first up and she has a great vocal range and really suits the stripped down vibe. Siren DJed CocoRosie and Susumu Yokota - an unexpected treat. Cat Power - sublime alone on guitar then piano, except the chattering classes were very distracting. The XX were pretty captivating - they lack stage presence but the staging and lighting and sound were so crisp that it really took you in. Essentially they have won. Simple tactics but a winning formula.

The XX at Brixton Academy.
Jehnny Beth - her from Savages (originally wrote them off as a less edgy Banshees but they have grown on me) alone on piano was first up and she has a great vocal range and really suits the stripped down vibe. Siren DJed CocoRosie and Susumu Yokota - an unexpected treat. Cat Power - sublime alone on guitar then piano, except the chattering classes were very distracting. The XX were pretty captivating - they lack stage presence but the staging and lighting and sound were so crisp that it really took you in. Essentially they have won. Simple tactics but a winning formula.

My son and daughter went last night and enjoyed the show, but said the same simple but somehow worked

Just booked tickets for GAS and Huerco S at The Barbican in October. That's going to be one special evening.

Another year, another Hawkwind gig. This time at the Leeds University Refectory, which has an excellent sound system. And the sonic assassins took full advantage, playing a fantastic set. Hawkwind have a huge back catalogue and it great to see them mix up the set each tour. The highlights for me were The Golden Void, Utopia and Brainbox Pollution, which I don't remember hearing live before.

I look forward to seeing them again at the Giants of Rock Festival in 2018.

hw01.jpghw02.jpghw04.jpghw15.jpghw17.jpg

For more pics click here.

Another year, another Hawkwind gig. This time at the Leeds University Refectory, which has an excellent sound system. And the sonic assassins took full advantage, playing a fantastic set. Hawkwind have a huge back catalogue and it great to see them mix up the set each tour. The highlights for me were The Golden Void, Utopia and Brainbox Pollution, which I don't remember hearing live before.

I look forward to seeing them again at the Giants of Rock Festival in 2018.

View attachment 4597View attachment 4598View attachment 4599View attachment 4600View attachment 4601

For more pics click here.

I saw Hawkwind play The Old Market down here in 2014. Great gig but it took the hearing in my right ear about 4 days to come back and genuinely scared the **** out of me. I've since taken to bringing noise attenuation earplugs to any gig where they might be needed - laugh if you will.

I've just booked tickets for The Staves at the same venue having seen them before at De La Warr Pavilion, where they were superb. I should think that my ears are safer in their hands than with Mr Brock and co. :smile:

This was the third time I had seen Peter Hook and yesterday he was playing the New Order and Joy Division Substance albums. I was surprised he did the New Order stuff first, but this allowed him to finish with a storming Love Will Tear Us Apart. I do like New Order, and Temptation and Blue Monday were very good, but I preferred the brooding darkness of the Joy Division set. The highlights of the night for me were Shadowplay, Transmission, She's Lost Control and Atmosphere.

The big difference between the two sets was that Hooky sang New Order but mostly screamed Joy Division!

ph14.jpgph15.jpgph16.jpgph04.jpgph10.jpg

For more pics click here

Yes featuring Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman

When I booked the tickets this gig was advertised as Anderson, Rabin & Wakeman - An evening of Yes music. Somewhere along the line, Steve Howe must of allowed them to use the Yes name.

I have seen Yes twice now in the last three years playing complete albums in track order and comparing the two bands, Yes are trying to faithfully reproducing the original songs whereas ARW are playing an interpretation of the music. I think I prefer the Yes approach, but that isn't to say that this wasn't an excellent gig.

I have never heard Anderson sing live before, but the years certainly don't seem to have dulled his vocal skills. Wakeman wore a cape, and Rabin played and sung his guitar without too much fuss.

The biggest cheer of the night was during Owner of a Lonely Heart when Wakeman on keytar and Rabin walked off stage and up and down the aisles still playing.

ARW01.jpgarw02.jpgarw07.jpgarw15.jpgarw00.jpg

For more pics, click here

Last edited:
Off to see Slowdive tonight. Loving the new single:

[video=youtube;BxwAPBxc0lU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxwAPBxc0lU[/video]

This was the third time I had seen Peter Hook and yesterday he was playing the New Order and Joy Division Substance albums. I was surprised he did the New Order stuff first, but this allowed him to finish with a storming Love Will Tear Us Apart. I do like New Order, and Temptation and Blue Monday were very good, but I preferred the brooding darkness of the Joy Division set. The highlights of the night for me were Shadowplay, Transmission, She's Lost Control and Atmosphere.

The big difference between the two sets was that Hooky sang New Order but mostly screamed Joy Division!

View attachment 4607View attachment 4602View attachment 4608View attachment 4609View attachment 4610

For more pics click here

I saw this set at the Kentish Town Forum. (Also saw him in Southend a couple of years ago) Absolutely brillant . I was front row dead centre,. So ,much energy in the crowd , especially for the JD part of the gigs. Came home very bruised , but with a massive smile on my face

Just booked tickets for GAS and Huerco S at The Barbican in October. That's going to be one special evening.

I'm really tempted to travel down for this. The Huerco S album was one of my favourites from last year and GAS is just an all time legend.

I'm really tempted to travel down for this. The Huerco S album was one of my favourites from last year and GAS is just an all time legend.
Yep, mine too, as was the first album. I think it'll be well worth it - I've literally just finished my first listen of the new GAS album and it's bloody amazing.

Showing my age, but trying to get tickets for Sparks on Friday, playing at Shepherds Bush later on in the year, guarantee that by 9.01 am none on sale, by 9.03 they will be marked up at huge inflated prices

Showing my age, but trying to get tickets for Sparks on Friday, playing at Shepherds Bush later on in the year, guarantee that by 9.01 am none on sale, by 9.03 they will be marked up at huge inflated prices
I saw them do 'Kimono' when they were doing one album each day, a friend bailed late on and sold his ticket for £150 - the toad.

Off to see Slowdive tonight. Loving the new single:

[video=youtube;BxwAPBxc0lU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxwAPBxc0lU[/video]

Go to Field Day and you can get them in with Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, Thee Oh Sees, Jon Hopkins, Arab Strap....

I haven't yet forgiven Slowdive's drummer for splitting up The Charlottes during the 1990 indie wars. One day I may find room in my heart to make peace.

Back