• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From todays Echo

Maybe we could get onto our new found friends Jol & Fergie and get some decent season long loans down at Roots Hall....

Or is that far to much to ask.....:thump:

Yeah I agree with this 100% but why couldnt we have done this whilst still in the Championship last season. We were crying out for a little bit of extra class. Ok Fergie probably was just saying those things but he did seem to note we are going in the right direction so why not try him for a few loanees. See these are the questions I'd love to ask Tilly. Just as a side note, my housemate supports Wycombe and they have like a fan's forum where fans can ask previously John Gorman but now Paul Lambert questions about substitutions transfers etc every week. I'm not part of the Shrimpers Trust or anything but do Southend offer something similar?

Just as a side note, my housemate supports Wycombe and they have like a fan's forum where fans can ask previously John Gorman but now Paul Lambert questions about substitutions transfers etc every week. I'm not part of the Shrimpers Trust or anything but do Southend offer something similar?

Yeah. It's called yelling from the East Stand.

Nothing on Peterbro's official site about this signing. Yesterday they signed two players who were regulars in the Wallsall side who won the league 2 title

Just as a side note, my housemate supports Wycombe and they have like a fan's forum where fans can ask previously John Gorman but now Paul Lambert questions about substitutions transfers etc every week. I'm not part of the Shrimpers Trust or anything but do Southend offer something similar?

Not that I am aware of they don't.
Would be a great thing to offer the fans.
If we're so appreciated for our unerring support (e.g. at Southampton/Preston) surely they could arrange this, maybe once a month?

Wallsall site says that they were told they were going to be offered new deals but chose to speak to Posh several times.
Fry has denied, however, links with John hartson and Dion Dublin, although, apparently, Ferguson mentioned Dublin when discussing targets. (from Sky sports, who call Peterbro' "ambitious")

Yeah but that's Keates & Westwood, experienced campaigners who we certainly ain't missed out on!

I have no doubt they would not have interested us, strikes me as a bit like Jupp and Benno this time last year, contracts offered by existing club in new division, but grass is greener lower down the league scale....

Yeah. It's called yelling from the East Stand.

Good one....
I don’t care if we don’t sign anyone TBH last year’s team will make a top 10 place next year..... FREDDY Must Stay he will scores 20 plus goals… we have a nucleus of a very good squad

Going back to whos the biggest club.... Peterbough 10 years ago where better supported than us... but go back 30/40 years we where twice the size of them.... recently our support are slowly coming back Thanks to a local boy Tilly and Ron martin here... Lets Be Honest Southend United FC have been the most unluckiest club in the South East.... Over the by gone years if we had some really bad luck on the Pitch we would be the size of ****wich or Norwich city mark my words.. Potentially we have a massive catchments area.. our only true rivals for support is west ham… that’s why im gutted they never went down ….. we where just breaking in roads in South Essex footie fans and we go down again

So the answer this season and next season we ARE a Bigger club than Peterbough as our home support has shown this 8000 -9000 home fans

Last edited:
I get it 95% right when I said the players make a big mistake choosing another club over Southend - look what happen to Kevin Rapley now playing for Leigh RMI in front of 250 fans, David Lee cannot get into Braintree first team and all the anothers players drifted to non-league football few years after turning down Southend, like Rawles (playing in front of 200 crowd ... ha! ha!).

So I can say it again, Chris Whepdale making a biggest mistake of his life - Peterborough is not sort of club if he want to make process, what happen if Peterborough is in midtable after 20 games and miles away from promotion race, will the board want to stick with their manager? I don't think so.

If Southend got an take over and sign better players in, I reckon Southend will be packed every week in their new ground which hold 22'000. To get 10'000+ even we are in bottom 3 all season is impressive, its scary to think what the crowds will be like if we was in Colchester postion!

As for Chris Whelpdale, he is not sort of players we want at the club - he only going to Peterboro for money simple as that, if he was going to a club for footballing reason, then Southend is the choice to be.

I would'nt care less if Peterboro go tit up.

not too upset TBH im sure we can do better than Rymans League player, spoke to a ricay fan about him at skl he wasnt raving about him just sed he was quite good, would have been nice but o well

sure we can do better than Rymans League player, spoke to a ricay fan about him at skl he wasnt raving about him just sed he was quite good, would have been nice but o well

If only Tilson had the same sort of contacts as yourself, he would have known not to bother. ;)

If Southend got an take over and sign better players in, I reckon Southend will be packed every week in their new ground which hold 22'000. To get 10'000+ even we are in bottom 3 all season is impressive, its scary to think what the crowds will be like if we was in Colchester postion!

Not that much better coz we cant pack any more into Roots Hall :hilarious:

Good one....
I don’t care if we don’t sign anyone TBH last year’s team will make a top 10 place next year..... FREDDY Must Stay he will scores 20 plus goals… we have a nucleus of a very good squad

Going back to whos the biggest club.... Peterbough 10 years ago where better supported than us... but go back 30/40 years we where twice the size of them.... recently our support are slowly coming back Thanks to a local boy Tilly and Ron martin here... Lets Be Honest Southend United FC have been the most unluckiest club in the South East.... Over the by gone years if we had some really bad luck on the Pitch we would be the size of ****wich or Norwich city mark my words.. Potentially we have a massive catchments area.. our only true rivals for support is west ham… that’s why im gutted they never went down ….. we where just breaking in roads in South Essex footie fans and we go down again

So the answer this season and next season we ARE a Bigger club than Peterbough as our home support has shown this 8000 -9000 home fans

Some good points about the crowds there.

Our average crowd over the past 18 seasons works out at 5,451 Peterborough's works out at 5,559.

But it's only in the last 3 seasons that we can say we are bigger than them again as our average for the past 3 years is 8,051 & Peterborough's 4,455.

Peterborough also are in a good location for away fans, I bet that over the years more away fans go to Peterborough than Southend (except the season 2006/7).

According to the The Evening Telegraph www.Peterboroughtoday.co.uk

Chis Whelpdale due to sign a deal this afternoon at London Road said he
turned down the opportunity to play League One football with Southend
United in favour of joining Posh

he went on to say I've always been a ambitious person and i want to keep
progressing.I want to to play at the highest level i can and with this move
will be my first step towards that

There you have from the player himself want to play at a higher level in
league 2 with posh - would only assume that posh will be looking to off
load him at some time in his time with them

The keyword there is probably "PLAY" - maybe Posh have sold it to him that he will feature highly in their plans etc, where Tilly may have said "We'll see what you can do from the bench"... etc?

Either way :thump::mad:

Fat Baz has probably done his come and play for us and I'll be able to sell you for £1 million in a year or two time, act on him.

I fear this will be the first in a long line of knockbacks this summer, which will evidently lead to us panic buying in the last week and buying players we don't really need and don't improve the squad at all, a la Harrold.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back