• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Friday night games good or bad -Now With Luxury Poll!

Friday Night Games - Great or Grim?

• Total voters
Just because we haven't bought anyone yet doesn't mean we can't find the money for them. It just means the right player at the right price hasn't yet become available.

Wrong; The right players at the right price are out there we are holding out for the free transfers with the low wages(the players no one else wants like last season(betsy,joyce etc),or the loanees list.
Offering low money for players when many other club are quite willing to pay more means we are being unrealistic.

Last season we offered Pompey 30,000 for matt ritchie totally unrealistic(and then we wonder why its turned down).

I hate Friday night games with a passion. I live 30 miles away from Roots Hall as it is, but depending on where I might be working it's an absolute nightmare to get down the 127 on a Friday night. A normal 45 minute journey for me generally turns into a 1hr 30mins journey and sometimes longer. Then there's the massive hassle of trying to park, which you don't tend to get on a Saturday when people arrive at staggered times. Football belongs on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm and I love the whole matchday build up etc on a Saturday. You don't get that when you're sitting in traffic jams along the 127. And I'm someone that 110% disagrees with the opinion that the atmosphere is better on a Friday night. I don't quite see how that's true just because of a few floodlights overhead.

Down to Police? Give me a break. I'm sure the Police are busier on a Friday night then they are on a Saturday afternoon as it is.

Wrong; The right players at the right price are out there we are holding out for the free transfers with the low wages(the players no one else wants like last season(betsy,joyce etc),or the loanees list.
Offering low money for players when many other club are quite willing to pay more means we are being unrealistic.

Last season we offered Pompey 30,000 for matt ritchie totally unrealistic(and then we wonder why its turned down).

Your whole argument is based on "Realistic" being what other clubs are prepared to pay for players. The actual definition of "Realistic", as it applies to us, is how much we can afford to offer taking into account that we are already running at a deficit.

When I read posts like yours my blood runs cold - we have already lost the freehold of our own stadium because we tried to spend our way to glory, we HAVE to cut our coat to suit our cloth now.

Friday night games and mid week games are a small problem dont finish work untill 5.15 have a 20 min travel home then a 30 mile dash to the hall sometimes parking is an issue unlike satadays . Still if the club get extra support on friday nights thats what its all about .

I enjoy Friday nights & it won't make a lot of difference to me. The main one is the other half will have me for a lot of full weekends & the new house will have my full attention!! :doh:

The main problem for me is the holiday I have booked between the Brizzle & SUFC Reserves worked out well, even allowing for a mad dash from Heathrow for a 3.00PM kick off for the Gills game. I will now miss the Gills game because of this!

As for the club blaming the Police for changing the date, BULLDUNG!!! Leeds maybe, Colscum maybe, Borient maybe, the others BOLLOCKS!! If the Police were prepared to allow the bankers from Leicester here on a Saturday, then no other team will be a bigger problem. Maybe this is a direct result of the problems from the Leicester game? I wouldn'tbe surprised.

The real reason I suspect is RM wants more Friday games & is hoping for more money in from Friday night games?!

At least me & the missus can have a few more weekends away now!

I have always loved Friday night games and getting off work early has never been an issue. The A12/130/127 can be a bit of a nightmare on a Friday evening as is getting home at 12.30am but the atmosphere at the ground and the general buzz around more than makes up for the travelling.

I am unable to make any midweek games but I still buy a season ticket as its nice knowing I have a reserved seat even though I miss around five games a year. All there Friday night games are a joke though and its getting out of hand, I think I will ask for a refund on my seaso cos it looks like I will miss nearly half the games the way things are going.

I am unable to make any midweek games but I still buy a season ticket as its nice knowing I have a reserved seat even though I miss around five games a year. All there Friday night games are a joke though and its getting out of hand, I think I will ask for a refund on my seaso cos it looks like I will miss nearly half the games the way things are going.

Snap - disaster AFAIAC

Perhaps Uncle Ron would like to address these issues in his next "blog".

A) How many games have been moved to a Friday night at the request of the police ?.

B) What are the additional costs to the club when staging Friday night games (policing,floodlighting,etc)?.

C) Is it the clubs intention to play this number,or a greater number, of games on a Friday night in future seasons?.

D) Is the club prepared to make a full season ticket refund to fans who find that as a result of these changes they cannot make these games this season?.

This issue has all the makings of yet another PR disaster for the club - lets hope Mr King doesn't open his mouth and put his foot in it!!.

Why would it be cheaper to police on a Friday night than a Saturday afternoon? Surely it's overtime for the OB either way? And it certainly won't deter Leeds bringing their usual horde, nor local clubs like Millwall, Orient, Gillingham etc.

No idea harry, but if that what the club 'spokesperson' told the fan who phoned then i presume thats the official line. Personally i dont accept this because evening games mean the floodlights are used, which with the increases in electricity costs in recent months would add a considerable amount to the 'quarterly bill' when it drops through the letterbox.

Back