• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Friday night games good or bad -Now With Luxury Poll!

Friday Night Games - Great or Grim?

• Total voters
I used to love the Friday night games, as I could rarely get to Saturday games as I was playing myself.

Now I leave 75 miles away, west of London, with an unpredictable journey around the M25.

I play football (5 a side) every Friday evening.

And they have just started roadworks, which will last for a year, just after the junction where I would normally join the M25.

So I am currently not in favour of all of these changes, but hey hoy - I will have to deal with it some how.

These game are being moved at the request of the Police. I suspect that is a slight bending of the truth. I wonder if it is cheaper to police a Friday night game, so when SUFC said "will you do a Saturday game for the same price as a Friday" they said "no".

Absolutely love Friday night games, I would rather we had all of our games on a Friday night and thern switched some back to Saturdays.

Friday games are very difficult for me as it clashes with work

sorry can I cancel DJ'ing at your wedding as I wanna go Football

Another thing that seems too weird is the fact we play at home on 8th August which is a Sat, 3pm K.O.

We don't play at the hall on a Saturday for 7 WEEKS!!!!!

6from our first 9 home games are on a friday. its crap.

And like i said we will lose a lot of money on this.

Last edited:
And another thing i don't understand. If we're so called 'family of the year club' and all that caper, how comes we need to swap games like Southampton and MK dons to Friday nights? are the pigs expecting the town of Southend to turn into a battleground?

I'm all for the Friday night football and I don't buy the losing money argument. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Yeovil game moved either.

And did you know that when J16-J18 is finished (June 2010) they will be doing J18 to J20 for the next year!

What wonderful news!

We've taken to cutting across and through to J18 if we're heading eastwards on the M25. Not sure if it's quicker, but it's less frustrating than poodling along like that.

with mk dons and Gillingham being switched to Friday it is obviously not a policing matter. The club should just have the balls to say we prefer to play on a friday night and they should have said this along time ago before arrangements were made and season tickets bought.

I prefer Friday Night games tbh. The atmosphere is usually better and athe crowds are usually better! Not only that but it leaves the rest of the weekend free to watch Jeff Stelling .

I love the Friday night games. Train back from London, a couple of pints pre-match, game and then night out afterwards in town.

Also means I get to spend some time with the missus and kids at the weekend so thumbs up all round.

That's assuming your train is on time. If not, it then turns into a mad panic. Personally I don't like them. I live in NW London and work in Hatfield. The slog round the M25 and down the A127 takes the best part of 2.5 hours on a Friday, but has on one or two occassions taken more than three hours. To put that into perspective, it then takes me about an hour to get home...

I'm surprised we are switching so many games against localish teams who would potentially bring a few hundred extra fans for a Saturday game compared to a Friday, therefore the club could be losing revenue. I think it makes more sense to play the likes of Tranmere, Hartlepool etc on a Friday as they will bring no more than 200 fans regardless of whether it is a Friday or Saturday, however I'm not sure a Friday game against Gillingham will mean a bigger attendance than it would get on a Saturday.

And another thing i don't understand. If we're so called 'family of the year club' and all that caper, how comes we need to swap games like Southampton and MK dons to Friday nights? are the pigs expecting the town of Southend to turn into a battleground?

More to the point, how are we going to stay a family club when young children can't stay up that late?

I prefer Friday Night games tbh. The atmosphere is usually better and athe crowds are usually better! Not only that but it leaves the rest of the weekend free to watch Jeff Stelling .

That, to me, is a myth. I have attended plenty of Friday night matches and don't believe there is any improvement in atmosphere.

Oh, and as for Jeff Stelling. Go and watch Countdown!

Friday games are ok but I prefer saturday at 3 o'clock doesn't really affect me either way though, I have to say I think 1 o'clock kick-offs are a load of bollocks though.

I enjoy Friday night games but they're often harder for many fans to attend and I think there should just be a few a season. At the end of the day Saturday afternoon is football (as Ron Manager once said). Half our home games being on a Friday is ridiculous. And most of them are our most local opponents, reducing what would be a big away following. It says all of them were changed after requests from the local police. Are Essex police terrified of MK Dons fans then?

Back