• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Orient are the club I'm worried about. I'd be heart-broken to see him go there.

Sad day if we cant compete with salaries with Orient. Col U I could understand, but even they are cutting back.

As you said the one thing that makes me wonder if it will happen is that Sturrock didnt play him in his one up front away from home. Now that may have been down to fitness, but more likely to not suit Freddy. If we werent to sign him because our system doesnt suit Freddy then that will be extremely disappointing. With him and Harris up front we looked the best Ive seen us and looked like we actually wanted to start playing decent football.

Matt Paterson's departure may help us on that front.

Very true.

I feel the likes of Orient etc, could probably offer more than us though.

I think it will come down to heart or head for Fred...

Orient are the club I'm worried about. I'd be heart-broken to see him go there.

Sad day if we cant compete with salaries with Orient. Col U I could understand, but even they are cutting back.

As you said the one thing that makes me wonder if it will happen is that Sturrock didnt play him in his one up front away from home. Now that may have been down to fitness, but more likely to not suit Freddy. If we werent to sign him because our system doesnt suit Freddy then that will be extremely disappointing. With him and Harris up front we looked the best Ive seen us and looked like we actually wanted to start playing decent football.

With regards to his salary Id say him signing would surely mean at least 100 extra people would come to the games because of him, that would go a long way to paying for him.

Freddy and Neil with Dickinson and Corr as options is a truly fantastic forward line at this level, if we can get both Martin and Hall in the team then attack wise I don't think any team in this league is better on paper. However to get the most out of the majority of them we need to really prioritise keeping the ball on the deck, I'd imagine under Tilson we'd rip this league up with that line up. I'm not one of those who think we just play "hoof ball" but we are quite a direct team and for having these players to be truly worth it I do think we need a bit of a change.

Like has been mentioned above, with a full pre season behind him Freddy will be in good shape again, something which arguably he wasn't this season.

Have had a quick butchers at Orients forums and have seen nothing about Eastwood - would be surprised if he went there TBH - they, like us don't have pot to pi** in.

£2k a week will put him at the top end here.

Can we afford that and will that be enough?

I don't think so.

Can we afford not too?

Bums on seats, plus goals that could take us up.
If Freddy starts scoring at start of the season, feel good factor around Roots Hall would be sky high.

IMO the article is nothing to do with whether he wants to stay or not ( although I think he probably does ) , but more following the time hounoured tradition of what's happening at most clubs in League 1 and 2 with players right now.
PLAYER : "I'd like to stay IF the offer is good" etc etc
MANAGER / CHAIRMAN : "Well we'd like to sign him , if we can fit him into our wage structure" etc etc
It's purely the start of negotiating terms , and waiting for one side to blink first

Can we afford not too?

Bums on seats, plus goals that could take us up.

If Freddy starts scoring at start of the season, feel good factor around Roots Hall would be sky high.

This. Ron will have realised that attendances have been up ever since Freddy returned and that would only continue if Freddy signs. And that's without what he offers on the pitch too.

If Eastwood signs we'll have a fantastic chance next season - and I reckon he'd do brilliantly with a striker like Corr or Dicko as a partner. That's not discounting Harris either though who was excellent during the tail-end of the season. If Freddy signs permanently we're not long for this league IMHO.

I wonder if (to ensure a deal) Gary Lockett might ship a few quid Freddy's way too by covering part of his wage, I believe he had been doing that during his loan.....

I hope economics do come into this. Because I see it thus..
1. The only reason someone of FE ability would want to come to us is for personal reasons (he has good personal reasons to stay and hence take less than he could get elsewhere)
2. He is avilable on a free
3. The economics. Firstly sign him a 2 year contract- what ever we paid hime in wages (even 5k a week) would easily be recoverable after a year because we could demand a fee (and it wouldn't be less than 250k in my view. Secondly the bums on seats argument. Thirdly, the chances of going stright up with a fit Freddy would be significantly higher.

I am sure this can be done in a way that the real risk is minimized.

I hope economics do come into this. Because I see it thus..
1. The only reason someone of FE ability would want to come to us is for personal reasons (he has good personal reasons to stay and hence take less than he could get elsewhere)
2. He is avilable on a free
3. The economics. Firstly sign him a 2 year contract- what ever we paid hime in wages (even 5k a week) would easily be recoverable after a year because we could demand a fee (and it wouldn't be less than 250k in my view. Secondly the bums on seats argument. Thirdly, the chances of going stright up with a fit Freddy would be significantly higher.

I am sure this can be done in a way that the real risk is minimized.

can't argue with anything there . . . . if FE can pull an additional 400 paying adults through the turnstiles every home match then that would be enough to offer him a good weekly wage . . . my only concern would be any negative feelings this would have on other players on a lesser salary

can't argue with anything there . . . . if FE can pull an additional 400 paying adults through the turnstiles every home match then that would be enough to offer him a good weekly wage . . . my only concern would be any negative feelings this would have on other players on a lesser salary

Good point Kestrel- but whilst I understand that when its the likes of Mr Paterson (where its resented because its not earned or justified) I doubt it would apply here. The players want to be out of this league as much as anyone else.

I think people are exaggerating the "bums on seats" idea. We only played 4 home games whilst Eastwood was here, yes there was a higher than average attendance for his return game against Cheltenham but then we had Wimbledon which was on Easter Monday, Barnet which was back to an average crowd then Macclesfield on the last day which was obviously a big one. I don't really think that signing Eastwood permanently will increase our regular attendances over the course of next season much. There are other strikers on that list of available ones in the other thread that I'd rather take if they'd cost less money. I don't want us breaking the bank for one player.

We get more crowd than Orient and the :COL U: Scums and I think their Chairman is cutting down wages at :COL U: as they not getting crowds in and their squad is on high wages they are willing to get rid. Its be a sad day, if he went up A12 road to play for a **** club with no fans.

I think people are exaggerating the "bums on seats" idea. We only played 4 home games whilst Eastwood was here, yes there was a higher than average attendance for his return game against Cheltenham but then we had Wimbledon which was on Easter Monday, Barnet which was back to an average crowd then Macclesfield on the last day which was obviously a big one. I don't really think that signing Eastwood permanently will increase our regular attendances over the course of next season much. There are other strikers on that list of available ones in the other thread that I'd rather take if they'd cost less money. I don't want us breaking the bank for one player.

It doesn't have to increase it by 1000's, a couple of hundred would be enough. I would make more of an effort to take my kids if Freddy was there than if he wasn't. I'm sure others would feel the same.

bloody hell, if they speak on behalf of the average City fan, then Fred is best off well away . . . . imho Coventry is a ******** anyway so i don't think he'll be too upset about leaving the place

Do you think we would feel differently if we were in their shoes?

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back