• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The regeneration of Roots Hall

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
(Who remembers our famous first ever game in Div 1 only just over 6k turned up to see us play Bristol City)
It was me moving to the North of Scotland that guaranteed promotion, but I still made it down for that game. I remember how pleased I was with the performance (1-1 but we didn't look out of place) and how disappointed I was at the attendance. 😕

In the North for that game. Really enjoyed it, The away game at their place 2-2 was a cracker too.

Somewhere stashed away I also have the first day cover stamp tom mark us reaching Div 2. (It was division 2 when we first got there, the premier league was but a dream).
(Who remembers our famous first ever game in Div 1 only just over 6k turned up to see us play Bristol City)

As this thread has gone a bit off topic I'll continue. We took the youngest granddaughter up St Clement's tower last Saturday. Very good. I was wandering in the church as they had a bazaar on and noticed a stained glass window dedicated to St. Andrew. It was there in commemoration to Rev Robert Eden who as we know built a magnificent rectory for himself a very small portion remaining as Leigh library. The new flats on the church hall site Eden Point are named after him. He had left Leigh to become Bishop of Ross and Nairn taking a pay cut and built Inverness cathedral and is buried in Inverness not too far away from Kestrel.

Never. :Smile:

Getting back on topic I'm very much looking forward to seeing the plans if any for the ground renovation. I think the most likely first step is a new North stand. Sid Broomfield himself told me that he was always worried about the stability of the whole existing structure a bank of earth and a retaining wall. It always looked pretty solid to me but who knows. I think the whole thing might be demolished and started on ground level which means there can be bars etc underneath. Not sure how big the site would be as it's now pretty near the new flats. A Barnet, Woking or D&G stand with safe standing would be mighty fine.

I'd like to see the north developed into something like barnets away end.

Proper away end with beers underneath.

The facilities for the away supporters has been dire for years. A big reason why we don't get decent away support visit us.

Turn the x and North west corner into safe standing and that would make for a great atmosphere.

Personally, the last place I’d be spending money on as the new owners would be the place where the away fans are held. Whether that’s the North, North West corner or anywhere else in the ground.

Yes, a food kiosk and working toilets, but I wouldn’t be doing much more. Don’t want away fans being comfortable at our ground, make it intimidating and uncomfortable for them.

I’d say the big reason we don’t get big away followings at Roots Hall is because of the level we are at, and the size of club. You can almost guarantee that if we got a Leeds or a Millwall in the FA Cup, they’d pack the away end like they always used to in our league fixtures.

Getting back on topic I'm very much looking forward to seeing the plans if any for the ground renovation. I think the most likely first step is a new North stand. Sid Broomfield himself told me that he was always worried about the stability of the whole existing structure a bank of earth and a retaining wall. It always looked pretty solid to me but who knows. I think the whole thing might be demolished and started on ground level which means there can be bars etc underneath. Not sure how big the site would be as it's now pretty near the new flats. A Barnet, Woking or D&G stand with safe standing would be mighty fine.
As long as what appears to be the biggest and possibly best stand isn’t given over to away fans as happens at Barnet, D&R and to an extent Woking.

Why would they put a new scoreboard on the stand if it was going to be knocked down in the very near future. Just asking not for a friend but me. :Smile:

I agree. I doubt if any major renovation or demolition would be for a few years. Make do and mend for a few years and then decide what to rebuild. I still think the North will be first so it'll probably be the west.

Back