• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Feeling ambivalent, but how are you feeling as a shrimper?

I feel like the comparison to Wrexham and the like was always going to naturally happen however ridiculous it was. I think a comparison to a club like Lincoln is far more comparable.

They were getting crowds of 2k in the FL when Tilly was there. Fast forward a few years under the Cowley's in the NL and they were getting sell out crowds, playing with an identity and had a connection to the city. They had a bit of money but they were no Wrexham. I really feel like this is the type of path we should/are following. Look at them now! Yet, they are still playing in their unmodernised stadium, much like us. However, they have modernised the hospitality behind the goal, and that's something we have to do. The problem is, we have to wait to get funds for a multi-million pound east stand.

It's a story like Lincoln that gives a feeling of hope. We are getting that connection to the fanbase and city back. Despite recent results, we do have an identity now. An identity isn't exclusive to a formation or tactics, but the whole ethos of the club. Our identity was rotten under Ron (look how Maidenhead perceived us in our pursuit of Josh Kelly), but I'd like to think that tide is changing. There is optimism for sure.

I think there is some comparison, as building a great big stadium and hoping people will still turn up if you constantly under perform on the pitch...doesn't work. I get it that it's not exactly the same, but if the product stinks, the people aren't going to buy it.
We don't know what playing budget is, and I know we have to look at cast offs as we missed the boat at the start of the season, but if we are spending on stadium upgrades, I would prefer they concentrated on the team first.
Its a tricky one because any ambition on the pitch should be built on solid foundations off the pitch, imagine we went balls out on the team and left the stadium....we'd be top of the league and turning paying supporters away due to reduced capacity....big revenues missed out on etc. There is a football club to bring back to life....patience still required unfortunately.

So if you had the choice of spending x on a 90% chance of bringing in increased non match day income or spending x on say a 50% chance of improving the team and maybe bringing in additional ticket income from say 2,000 fans (that's not additional from today, but say 500 to 1,000 extra and not losing 1,000 or so fans) - what choice would you make?

And also remember that the investment in the team isn't a one off, it will need repeating to keep those 2,000 'floating' fans happy. And if we get promoted, x become X+Y, as players are more expensive.

I can see why COSU are making the choices they are. But also it's not as binary as above - because they are also investing in the team, maybe not to the extent that some people want, but there is clearly money being spent.

I think there is some comparison, as building a great big stadium and hoping people will still turn up if you constantly under perform on the pitch...doesn't work.

There isn't any comparison to be made here. (1) We have not built a big stadium. (2) We don't constantly underperform, we came 6th last season

You miss the point, I know we are not building a stadium, and we are in the 5th teir of football, last year was a one off in my opinion, you didn't need to motivate the tiny squad, as they were playing for their careers, as at any moment they could have been out of a job.

You miss the point, I know we are not building a stadium, and we are in the 5th teir of football, last year was a one off in my opinion, you didn't need to motivate the tiny squad, as they were playing for their careers, as at any moment they could have been out of a job.
I disagree that it was a one-off-- Maher has improved the team every year he has been here. I know we've had a disappointing start and taken a step backwards but I really do believe things will start moving in the right direction soon.

But we don’t have or will have a “great big stadium”. More likely a realistic sized one to mirror our reasonable expectations.

They also could've walked out at various points for breach of contract for non payment of wages - I suspect that needs an incredible amount of team building/motivation to keep players committed to the cause

And also remember that the investment in the team isn't a one off, it will need repeating to keep those 2,000 'floating' fans happy. And if we get promoted, x become X+Y, as players are more expensive.
Exactly! And that's why improved opportunities for increased revenues outside of matchday attendances are vital to underpin any progress on the pitch going forward. We have to have a viable infrastructure to support long term progression not just a 1or 2 seasons wonder, no matter how enjoyable it might be, we've been there and done that in the past.

Do you really think if a better offer came in last year for one of our players, they wouldn't have walked?
Loyalty is great but it doesn't pay the mortgage. I was so proud of our guys last year, but I do feel it's a lot harder this year to replicate last years feeling.
I hope we can..

I feel like the comparison to Wrexham and the like was always going to naturally happen however ridiculous it was. I think a comparison to a club like Lincoln is far more comparable.

They were getting crowds of 2k in the FL when Tilly was there. Fast forward a few years under the Cowley's in the NL and they were getting sell out crowds, playing with an identity and had a connection to the city. They had a bit of money but they were no Wrexham. I really feel like this is the type of path we should/are following. Look at them now! Yet, they are still playing in their unmodernised stadium, much like us. However, they have modernised the hospitality behind the goal, and that's something we have to do. The problem is, we have to wait to get funds for a multi-million pound east stand.

It's a story like Lincoln that gives a feeling of hope. We are getting that connection to the fanbase and city back. Despite recent results, we do have an identity now. An identity isn't exclusive to a formation or tactics, but the whole ethos of the club. Our identity was rotten under Ron (look how Maidenhead perceived us in our pursuit of Josh Kelly), but I'd like to think that tide is changing. There is optimism for sure.
I was just going to make that same point.
The Cowleys really did galvanise the club and the city.
Money was tight in the early days of their tenure. They managed to find the odd £50k here and there to buy the likes of Sean Raggett. They then managed to have that fantastic FA Cup run, the profits from which which enabled them to purchase land and build a new training ground which made them a more attractive club for potential new signings.
They appointed a fantastic CEO in Liam Scully who runs the club prudently but innovatively at the same time. They've continued to introduce separate investors over time and have further strengthened their structure which underpins the entire football club.
For many years they used the loan market exceptionally well, bringing in the likes of Joe Morrell, Tyler Walker, Morgan Rogers and Brennan Johnson to name a few on season long loans.

Their methods in terms of recruitment have evolved over time to ensure they are sustainable. Very much like ourselves, they now look to buy young, hungry players with potential for further growth and then sell on for a profit. Their solid league one status has now allowed them to offer new signings 4 year contracts which then gives them 2 years to develop these players with the idea of selling for maximum profit in year 3/4.

The progress outlined above has taken a period of 8 years to achieve. They've done everything right and tried to minimise risk wherever possible in every decision they've taken.

I'm sure we'll get there eventually, but it's a hell of a long road back when you've been run into the ground by your former owner. Patience is going to be of the essence for us all, whether we like it or not.

I do think the ownership and management team deserve 100 per cent backing, they are on the right track. On the downside I never thought I would ever see the club playing non league football. I used to attend far more away fixtures when we were an EFL club but apart from the odd local away game I just can't get enthused about travelling to matches in this division. Thanks Ron.

Back