• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Fan Advisory Board Launched

Imagine this scenario.

The club is in financial difficulty BUT they have secured funding and are going to announce it in a few days with a huge ( for us) media campaign to really sell the news and explain why it is such good news .

Does the club?
A. Not tell FAB
B. Tells FAB but asks them just to say nothing or just good news is coming
C. Tell FAB and allow them to pass on the info in any way they see fit- meaning the fans hear half a story and reduces the impact of the official announcement
A - they're only meeting roughly 4 times per year so it would be amazingly coincidental if the 2 coincided.

FAB isn't running the club - it's a sounding board/feedback route.

Imagine this scenario.

The club is in financial difficulty BUT they have secured funding and are going to announce it in a few days with a huge ( for us) media campaign to really sell the news and explain why it is such good news .

Does the club?
A. Not tell FAB
B. Tells FAB but asks them just to say nothing or just good news is coming
C. Tell FAB and allow them to pass on the info in any way they see fit- meaning the fans hear half a story and reduces the impact of the official announcement
The answer has to be A.

If you can't tell the fans then don't say anything.

I think this is an excellent initiative by the club and I really hope it works.

For it to be successful it will need a strong chairperson and will need to stick to its brief.

It might sound boring, but a meeting will only work well if it is furnished in good time beforehand with proper meeting papers.

The FAB should steer clear of duplicating subjects handled at the club liaison meetings. A focus on club strategy rather than onions in burgers.

I hope that those selected to be on it bring to the party a wealth of experience on business issues and have a realistic vision of the future and can also be inventive. An absolute must is to avoid selecting anyone who gives off vibes of just wanting to be there so they can feel important and rub shoulders with management.

Some of the subjects discussed might actually become quite detailed, so a good all-round ability to grasp facts and figures, and an ability to communicate with all types of people (which includes being a good listener), is also essential.

I don't agree with picking people to represent different factions. Everyone on it should be capable of doing a good all round job representing all fans. For donkey's years I ran pension trustee boards for a living, those individuals that failed to do a good job saw themselves as reps of a particular group of the workforce, in effect a kind of union rep, rather than looking after the interests of all (sending such folk on a derivatives course usually saw them off).

Having said that, I am supportive of the Shrimpers Trust having a rep on the FAB as they represent themselves a large group of fans from a diverse range of our fan base. The Trust also has a wealth of relevant experience.

I totally agree with comments that the FAB should be transparent. If the club feels that something discussed should not be disclosed then it should not be discussed at FAB level in the first place. We should all have visibility of the minutes.

Those that want to apply should be prepared to devote plenty of time to the role. It will require much more commitment than just turning up to four meetings a year.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out and I wish it every success.

Back