• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Fan Advisory Board Launched

Can we make sure we have a member of the group who represent exiled shrimpers ?
I agree. The constitution of the board should reserve one place for an exile rep. I see the application form wants to know where you watch the game at Roots Hall thus implying if you only watch on tv because of overseas residency you cannot apply. Exiles contribute to the club and support it and should be entitled to a voice. There are many issues of interest and importance beyond soap in the toilets and onions in the burgers!

Such an excellent initiative and a succesful model used by other clubs.

COSU already has a variation of skills from within and this extends that to the supporters, who for too long, have been without a voice. These foundations will really help drive this club for future generations, when the current custodians eventually move on. Really good move!!
Good luck with your application.

This is standard....and with the leaks to members of this board, you shouldn't be surprised at the stipulation!
I really don't get that either, what is the point in it if all topics discussed from a Advisory board made up mainly (we hope) by fans if it cannot be talked about afterwards with fans to engage dialogue going forward.

If is is all going to be Secret Squirrel it is pointless IMO.

I don't think this is about limiting discussion or sharing of information with the fans, but
Let's say an (unfounded) rumour goes around that the club can't afford to pay its creditors again and is about to be placed under another embargo. This confidentiality provision allows Tom to open up the books to the FAB behind closed doors so they can see that the rumour is false. They can then communicate to the wider fanbase that 'we've seen the balance sheet/receipts, nothing to worry about', without any question of the actual commercially-sensitive detail being published in the minutes.
If they can't talk about it then they couldn't put that rumour to rest could they.

I can just see it ending up like when the fan groups got together before the takeover and it being only certain groups being allowed to know what was going on.

If the information can't be shared with the fans then don't discuss it with the fan group.

There were Supporter Group meetings with the club for several years with representatives from the Police, Travel Groups, the Trust, the Zone, Disabled fans, Exiles, Fanzines all meeting with various CEOs from the club to discuss various issues. At least the proposed group won't have to deal with that useless **** Martin.

Not interested! Has to be @Medway Blue surely!
Hang on, James is a fantastic leader of The Trust who already have a place for certain on the advisory board, of course the other members of The trust have to select him first. I can't see how if elected he can have two seats on two boards, it would start to become a monopoly. There was a time the Trust had liason meetings with the club and we were emailed updates and they were posted online but that seemed to stop a few months back. I think the last one was in July.

Now we already have a half secret Trust who can only divulge certain things and i get that to a degree, but we hardly need a second set of fans/advisory board that are governed by the same rules.

Open dialogue with fans isn't it going forward?

Hang on, James is a fantastic leader of The Trust who already have a place for certain on the advisory board, of course the other members of The trust have to select him first. I can't see how if elected he can have two seats on two boards, it would start to become a monopoly. There was a time the Trust had liason meetings with the club and we were emailed updates and they were posted online but that seemed to stop a few months back. I think the last one was in July.

Now we already have a half secret Trust who can only divulge certain things and i get that to a degree, but we hardly need a second set of fans/advisory board that are governed by the same rules.

Fair point. I'm sure they'll be some equally credible candidates out there.

Really, John?

And as for Liaison Meetings, well, yes, the last one was in July and we are due one right now as they are supposed to be every 6-8 weeks, but only one person bothered to reply to me when I circulated possible dates for the next one - and that was Rylee. It's like pulling teeth sometimes. As I have a week off next week, I will be pushing hard for this to be put in the diary.

I do hope we have some new fresh candidates on this board, rather than the usual suspects who at times aren't exactly worldly wise, which IMO helped our previous owner nearly destroy our club.

I can't see anything within COSU that makes me think any skulduggery is ahead of us but once bitten, and it would be nice to have some people who know how to hold people accountable for their actions.

A couple of retired businessmen/women, who have been around a corporate/dog eat dog type environment who have time on their hands, some young blood who understand how the new generation both think, and would be attracted to our club would be a start.

Last edited:
Looks a really good idea.

The only part I don't like is the fact that some items can's be discussed with the fans afterwards which is what the board is all about.
Imagine this scenario.

The club is in financial difficulty BUT they have secured funding and are going to announce it in a few days with a huge ( for us) media campaign to really sell the news and explain why it is such good news .

Does the club?
A. Not tell FAB
B. Tells FAB but asks them just to say nothing or just good news is coming
C. Tell FAB and allow them to pass on the info in any way they see fit- meaning the fans hear half a story and reduces the impact of the official announcement

Imagine this scenario.

The club is in financial difficulty BUT they have secured funding and are going to announce it in a few days with a huge ( for us) media campaign to really sell the news and explain why it is such good news .

Does the club?
A. Not tell FAB
C. Tell FAB and allow them to pass on the info in any way they see fit- meaning the fans hear half a story and reduces the impact of the official announcement

Thought I had clicked onto an old thread for second.

Imagine this scenario.

Does the club?
A. Not tell FAB
Exactly. Similar to kit reveal - Steve Kav always used to let us see the new kit early, he knew we wouldn't splash it about over social media. There has to be an element of trust, and sensitive subjects are sometimes covered at liaison (incidentally, Tom just messaged me to ask about a date!) - it helps if we as a Trust can do our bit to reassure other supporters without going into detail, for instance.

I do hope we have some new fresh candidates on this board, rather than the usual suspects who at times aren't exactly worldly wise, which IMO helped our previous owner nearly destroy our club.

I can't see anything within COSU that makes me think any skulduggery is ahead of us but once bitten, and it would be nice to have some people who know how to hold people accountable for their actions.

A couple of retired businessmen/women, who have been around a corporate/dog eat dog type environment who have time on their hands, some young blood who understand how the new generation both think, and would be attracted to our club would be a start.
Absolutely. We have tried that with our Trust Board in recent years, in attempting to bring our average age down. It has been quite successful with some excellent additions.

Back