• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings England v Slovenia 20hr ko 25th June 2024

Think one of the pundits said it last night, we have the spine of the team .. Pickford - Rice - Bellingham - Kane. I'd love to see Southgate give the likes of Palmer, Mainoo and Gordon starts - they could be real stars of the tournament. Still plenty of experience around them.
Young Cole looked dangerous the second he came on. Saka/Foden looked tired (though definitely better than the first 2 games). Come on Gareth, go out all guns blazing.

And you have this on what authority exacly?

Listen to the way they speak, see how their faces light up when discussing England. Declan Rice’s press conference was a perfect example of that.

Just because we haven’t played overly well doesn’t mean these players don’t enjoy playing for England.

Southgate has done an awful lot for England. One of the biggest things he has done is brought that connection back, getting the fans and press onboard (although this is evaporating quickly at the moment) and getting the players back.

Look how many times, under previous managers with previous players you’d like the likes of Gerrard, a prime example of this. Get called up for England, play for Liverpool and come through the game fine. When it comes to meeting up with the squad, he’d withdraw through “injury” only to reappear for Liverpool the following match.

That doesn’t happen as much under Southgate and these players.

What authority do you have to suggest these players don’t enjoy playing for England?

Listen to the way they speak, see how their faces light up when discussing England. Declan Rice’s press conference was a perfect example of that.

Just because we haven’t played overly well doesn’t mean these players don’t enjoy playing for England.

Southgate has done an awful lot for England. One of the biggest things he has done is brought that connection back, getting the fans and press onboard (although this is evaporating quickly at the moment) and getting the players back.

Look how many times, under previous managers with previous players you’d like the likes of Gerrard, a prime example of this. Get called up for England, play for Liverpool and come through the game fine. When it comes to meeting up with the squad, he’d withdraw through “injury” only to reappear for Liverpool the following match.

What authority do you have to suggest these players don’t enjoy playing for England?
Yes they love playing for England i agree , but like the Arsenal defender White , they dont enjoy playing under Southgate and Holland. I think SOUTHGATE lost the dressing room a while ago, just the FA to slow to rid themselves of him and appoint a more attacking style manager which i believe the players would love .

Yes they love playing for England i agree , but like the Arsenal defender White , they dont enjoy playing under Southgate and Holland. I think SOUTHGATE lost the dressing room a while ago, just the FA to slow to rid themselves of him and appoint a more attacking style manager which i believe the players would love .
I’d be very reluctant to tar any other player with the Ben White brush. The first international footballer who’d rather be at home watching Love Island and taking snus than playing for his country.

I will agree with you and @BoyWonder2 ; and I know a security advisor who travels with them at all times. He says they are a very tight bunch, all financially and support strong who could decide not to be "selected" if they wished, so they are there by choice.
If they don't want to "stand up" like White then an injury isn't hard to pull.

And your second point? Who to replace GS with that would take the job?

I will agree with you and @BoyWonder2 ; and I know a security advisor who travels with them at all times. He says they are a very tight bunch, all financially and support strong who could decide not to be "selected" if they wished, so they are there by choice.
If they don't want to "stand up" like White then an injury isn't hard to pull.

And your second point? Who to replace GS with that would take the job?
Plenty of managers would love the job , Pochettino is one of them. What manager unless he is Manager of clubs like RM, Barca etc etc etc wouldnt want the job.

I'm z fan of good football (like you I imagine).

Other issues also need to be addressed where England are concerned if they're ever going to win a major tournament again.Among these are the sterotype of overpaid prem, players representing their country and the massive expectations the whole nation puts on the national team every time a major tournament comes around.

Last edited:

Southgate hasn’t lost the dressing room, I’m not sure you do at international level. If you did, you drop them all and pick a new squad.

Ben White, although he has been fantastic for Arsenal this season, is behind Kyle Walker, and probably Reece James in the right back berth. There was a falling out, of that there is no doubt, but the fact he isn’t playing regularly for the international side probably helped his decision. Similar to Vardy in that respect.

Other issues also need to be addressed where England are concerned if thery're ever going to win a major tournament again.Among these are the sterotype of overpaid prem, players representing their country and the massive expectations the whole nation puts on the national team every time a major tournament comes around.
I'm not sure 'overpaid' comes into it. The likes of Saka, Foden, Kane, Bellingham HAVE performed in an England shirt and can do so again. I just personally think Southgate is a bit too cautious in his approach and the thought is (much like Belgium last night, who also were booed by their fans) 'let's hold on to what we've got'.

If we are 1-0 up the mentality doesn't seem to be lets get a 2nd, 3rd etc. What has pleased me watching Austria, as an example, is that they keep attacking and stay on the front foot right til the end. Refreshing and good to watch. Watching England can be tedious.

You saw how much better we suddenly looked after Palmer came on, Gordon would've made more impact too if he'd got longer than what, 2 mins?? We've got the talent, it's finding the balance and having the confidence to play those in form. As for the fans ..... they'll always have the expectation and sadly it's something that has to be managed - up til now, Southgate has handled that pretty well IMO.

Other issues also need to be addressed where England are concerned if they're ever going to win a major tournament again.Among these are the sterotype of overpaid prem, players representing their country and the massive expectations the whole nation puts on the national team every time a major tournament comes around.

What has their salary packet go to do with anything? Such an easy thing to throw at top flight players.

Having high salaries didn’t stop Argentina winning the last World Cup, or Italy winning the last Euros. They weren’t on minimum wage.

What has their salary packet go to do with anything? Such an easy thing to throw at top flight players.

Having high salaries didn’t stop Argentina winning the last World Cup, or Italy winning the last Euros. They weren’t on minimum wage.
You¡ll no doubt remember I suggested it bwas a stereotypye.I notice noboby (You included) has yet adressed the issue of the nation`s expectations weighing down the national team.

You¡ll no doubt remember I suggested it bwas a stereotypye.I notice noboby (You included) has yet adressed the issue of the nation`s expectations weighing down the national team.
That's been the case in the past but I think a couple of people have said that doesn't seem the case any more (well, hasn't been, til this tournament) under Southgate. Hence why we've progressed to the latter stages of the last couple of WC's and the final of the last Euros .. the reason we lost then to Italy wasn't the expectations of the fans it was the cautious tactics. 1-0 up let's just try and hang on etc.

I'm not sure why people expect us to win every major tournament, tbh. We've won jack**** since 1966. Maybe if we tried enjoying the ride it wouldn't seem such a disaster when we eventually go out to a better side.

Last edited:

Yeah, we as a nation do expect, but that’s hardly Southgate or the players fault. Maybe we need to temper expectations, but it’s coming home 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Back