• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings England v Slovakia 30th Jun2024 17:00hrs ko.

What will the result be?

• Total voters
The way they are celebrating is embarrassing. Should think themselves lucky theyā€™ve got through.

Feel for Slovakia they genuinely were the better team and nipped at the last minute.

Need to seriously change things if we want to progress.
Nah they weren't the better team - they did a Southgate and sat back after taking the lead.

More questions than answers from that performance, and more problems for Southgate to solve going forward.

Bellingham and Kane scoring the goals is an absolute headache, as Bellingham especially was an absolute disaster for 95% of that game. Kaneā€™s legs have gone, but at least heā€™s maintaining some kind of discipline in how heā€™s playing. Bellinghamā€™s rocking up in positions where heā€™s doing more harm than good, being wasteful and lackadaisical in possession and is offering next to nothing out of possession. Itā€™s heaping additional workload on Rice and his partner off the ball, and hindering any fluidity England might have with it.

If weā€™d fluked a win without him contributing, he simply could not start against Switzerland. As it stands, itā€™s an endorsement of a ā€œmomentsā€ approach where your match winners stay on the pitch no matter what.

I actually donā€™t mind the ā€œWho Elseā€ celebration. You need that swagger and given how heā€™s played this tournament, it shows his mentalityā€™s basically bulletproof. And hopefully his goal will be a galvanising force and an impetus for him in this tournament. Something needed to drop for him, and luckily it did.

Of course, we now also have the additional headache at the back. Guehi, who continues to be outstanding, is suspended for next weekend while Trippierā€™s clearly shot to bits, Shawā€™s had no minutes and Kyle Walkerā€™s seemingly picked an inopportune time to take up ketamine. Stones has knees made of biscuit and heā€™s holding this defensive unit together.

Potential positives:

Mainoo was Englandā€™s best player again. Continues to be the only one looking remotely capable of anything like dictating the tempo of a game.

Palmer looked lively and tidy in possession without creating too much.

With just under a week until the Switzerland game, thereā€™s time to recover properly.

Weā€™re through. Just.

Itā€™s difficult to see where England go from here other than continuing to select your ā€˜momentsā€™ players and hope something sticks. Nothing material is going to change in a week. The nature of the win could well bring the group closer together and offer them a chance to draw a line under four games of disjointed performances, but it will have exerted a lot of emotional energy. Teams that go the distance and trade punches in the early rounds donā€™t tend to hang around for much longer.

Whatever people say about Southgate heā€™s definitely got a knack when it comes to tournament football. Same amount of knockout wins for him vs all England managers between 1968 and 2016. Itā€™s not pretty but .. well if itā€™s about winning and progressing to the next round itā€™s job done .. again. Weā€™re in another QF. Time for the big names to step up and deliver.

As Rudyard Kippling said:

"If you can keep your head when all about you
are losing there's and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;"
But Kipling didnā€™t have to watch Southgateā€™s boring tactics every game,I much prefer Tennysons Charge of the light Brigade, much more what we need.

Didn't watch it live as with 2 kids aged 4 and 5 i'm not going to be given the chance to watch a whole match un-interrupted when they only show a passing interest in football.

Had to wait until it was available on ITVx catch up (thought it was going to be on the BBC) Finally it appeared on ITVx at 9:30. Skipped through all the usual pre match crap and started the match.

Realised pretty quickly that i'm going to need some food to munch on to stay awake. Sadly my bowl of doritos gave out around the 80th minute and I must have woken myself to see England 2-1 up. Quickly went back and found where I fell asleep but feel asleep again shortly after going 2-1 up. Woke up at 02:40 to an aching neck and the tv which had put itself to sleep.

God watching England is so boring.

And why was Gareth so against using substitutes during the normal time. We could have gone out with only 2 of the 5 being used.

One thing I will say in the defence of Southgate, and his substitutions.

Our winner came from all of our subs. Palmer took the free kick that the goalkeeper punched away, Eze shuffed his shot, which Ivan Toney headed across goal to Kane to score.

Yes, he should have made his substitutions quicker, and arguably should have made more in normal time, however the subs he did make affected the game.

Iā€™d like to see 3-5-2. Walker on the right of the back 3
Right wing backs/wingers arnt a problem. Do we have a natural left sided wing back ?
Rice Bellingham in the middle with a.n.other. Start with Kane and Foden up front
Saka as a sub

Back